Watery eyes

BellaBullyBoo

Aug 15, 2013
Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella is 10 1/2 weeks old and her eyes seem to constantly water. I'm not sure if it is allergies or what. I am currently feeding her Authority puppy blend food which is what the breeder was feeding her. It doesn't seem to be giving her tear stains yet. With her being completely white, tear stains is the last thing I want. I have started using True Blue witch hazel pads to clean around her eyes daily. I have a vet appointment at the end of the week to get her boosters and I will see what she recommends. Just wanted to see if anyone out there has any advice for me.
Thank you

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Could be a food allergy but pollen counts are high this time of year. Everything seems to be blooming now. Benedryl is used to give them some relief but I'd call the vet and ask if it is ok to give it to one that young. I think it is ok but I dont want to tell you wrong. Our 7 yr old. takes one a day but Im just not sure about puppies.

OP
BellaBullyBoo

BellaBullyBoo

Aug 15, 2013
Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I will bring that up with my vet. Thank you.
I've been reading a lot on here and I think I'm going to switch her to Fromms food soon.
My aunt has a white shih tzu that had watery eyes also, she gives her Angel Eye's daily and says that helps with the watering also.
I just get nervous about giving Bella anything without getting educated and advice from people with plenty of bully experience.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Hi and :smileywelcome: It could be food or enviormental allergies. I was also told by my vet that puppies will get watery eyes from going thru growing pains ie. head growing or teething

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Hi and welcome to EBN and you are totally right for trying to educate yourself before giving your baby anything I did this also when it comes to my fur baby I don't take anything for granted. I'm careful to introduce new things slowly and consistently so I know for sure if he is going to be allergic to it. I give him a benadryl every night because seasonal allergies are so bad for bullies and if I can keep him from suffering just by giving him a simple benadryl at night then that is what I'll do.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would certainly consider food or environmental allergies!!!

I am always a little suspicious of things like Angel Eyes .. personally I would just rather treat the cause of the problem and not mask it with something. But that's just me!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I will bring that up with my vet. Thank you.
I've been reading a lot on here and I think I'm going to switch her to Fromms food soon.
My aunt has a white shih tzu that had watery eyes also, she gives her Angel Eye's daily and says that helps with the watering also.
I just get nervous about giving Bella anything without getting educated and advice from people with plenty of bully experience.

I would certainly consider food or environmental allergies!!!

I am always a little suspicious of things like Angel Eyes .. personally I would just rather treat the cause of the problem and not mask it with something. But that's just me!!

agreed!!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse lately has developed watery eyes and tear stains have been so bad I went to the vet to ask about a grain free feed and he annoyed me so much I walked out without buying any food and went elsewhere as he told me what a load of bull:poo: its the food and then goes on that it is just Bulldogs and I said no I speak to Bulldog experts and they have all proved it can be food related and then he said you just need to accept your dog the way he is - what I don't accept Ftse come on man I said no you don't accept things that you know can be cleared up by changing foods etc and then he went on he can have 100 bulldogs and only 20 will have tear stains and that is their make up not food or allegy issues so I couldn't help myself and said well I do not know how you can state that as you only have 1 Bulldog that comes to your vets and that is Ftse and I know that for a fact well he didn't know what to say then asked me would I like him to get the usual food I buy I said no thanks I have enough at home I didn't I went elsewhere and got a grain free to try and to my amazement in two days no watery eyes and the tear stains are so much lighter now. This is thanks to EBN for members telling us their stories and educating us and honestly I myself believe that EBN'ers know more than most vets do on these issues.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Ftse lately has developed watery eyes and tear stains have been so bad I went to the vet to ask about a grain free feed and he annoyed me so much I walked out without buying any food and went elsewhere as he told me what a load of bull:poo: its the food and then goes on that it is just Bulldogs and I said no I speak to Bulldog experts and they have all proved it can be food related and then he said you just need to accept your dog the way he is - what I don't accept Ftse come on man I said no you don't accept things that you know can be cleared up by changing foods etc and then he went on he can have 100 bulldogs and only 20 will have tear stains and that is their make up not food or allegy issues so I couldn't help myself and said well I do not know how you can state that as you only have 1 Bulldog that comes to your vets and that is Ftse and I know that for a fact well he didn't know what to say then asked me would I like him to get the usual food I buy I said no thanks I have enough at home I didn't I went elsewhere and got a grain free to try and to my amazement in two days no watery eyes and the tear stains are so much lighter now. This is thanks to EBN for members telling us their stories and educating us and honestly I myself believe that EBN'ers know more than most vets do on these issues.

Woo hoo ........ you GO GIRL!!! And so glad to hear that switching the food has already shown improvement!!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Awesome!!! EBN wins again! It because everyone that gives us advice has been there and speak from years of experience I KNOW the things I learn on here are invaluable!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Puppies can tend to have watery eyes from chewing and teething.

I would certainly change foods however, as that food is not particularly good for a growing puppy. Most vets are not too keen on nutrition either. If anything, have the vet check the eyes for swelling or hairs (entropion).

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online