Question about Cherry Eye?

AmberXo

Aug 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee
I have noticed Brynn's eyes get rather red at times...she doesn't act at all like it bothers her, and is her normal self, but the whites of her eyes are red. However, they don't stay red. I contacted her previous owner as she has owned Brynn as a puppy and has stated Brynn has never had cherry eye, in fact her vet records show she has been very low maintenance for a bulldog, but the previous owner stated her eyes often turn red when she gets very tired. I noticed they were red last night before she climbed in her crate for bedtime, and this morning they were white again. Is this normal? Or should I be concerned? I don't want to skip over something that could potentially be wrong. :confused::confused:

Thanks for the help/advice!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Hi , red eyes are not an indication of cherry eye -if you have a look in my gallery or Lily's thread you will see how the cherries look like .
Maybe Bryn is allergic to something or something might irritated her .
Mine get red eyes after a long and intense play for no reason -i think it is normal ;-)
Sorry not much of a advice here ,but im sure more experienced members will be able to advise you
Hope Bryn feels better soon x

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea's eyes turn red when she is playin hard or gets really excited. Her face will get flushed as well. Usually within 5 minutes of calming down she is back to normal with white eyes and her naturally light pink face. We asked our vet about it and he says they are just like humans and get flushed when really excited and playing so not to worry unless it persists for longer than 10 to 15 minutes after calming down.

OP
AmberXo

AmberXo

Aug 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee
Harlea's eyes turn red when she is playin hard or gets really excited. Her face will get flushed as well. Usually within 5 minutes of calming down she is back to normal with white eyes and her naturally light pink face. We asked our vet about it and he says they are just like humans and get flushed when really excited and playing so not to worry unless it persists for longer than 10 to 15 minutes after calming down.

Okay great! I was tossing the idea around of the vet, but didn't want to make her go there for no big deal. I am thinking maybe because she is new here and is still adjusting she hasn't slept as much - she thinks she is going to miss something, so her eyes have been getting red quite a bit, but then she'll lay down and they go back to being white after a few minutes. I will just keep an eye on it, but thanks for the help :)

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Both duchess and duke get red eyes when they are tired. Could also be a sign of an irritant though- but wouldn't worry unless you start to get green eye discharge accompanied with red eyes.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:bigeyes2:Hi, it's very normal for them to have red eyes after playing hard, or if they are hot, or tired. It goes away after rest. You got good advice from everyone above. There's nothing to worry about unless there is goopey eyes or discharge from the eyes, which would indicate an infection. Cherry Eye is when the bottom third eyelid bulges out of the bottom eyelid, and covers part of the eye, it looks like a red bubble over the eye. Redness is usually a sign or an allergy, or an irritation, and from exercise or hard play, and then it goes away.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Half of Dudley's face is white. I always know when he's tired because the white (skin) around the eye on that side of his face gets red...always gone after a nap!

OP
AmberXo

AmberXo

Aug 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee
Thanks everyone! I have been watching it - no discharge or anything and they do go back to white after a bit. I feel relieved though! Thanks again! :)

Most Reactions

Members online