Real Name
    Amber
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brynnlee
    Likes (Received)

Default Question about Cherry Eye?

I have noticed Brynn's eyes get rather red at times...she doesn't act at all like it bothers her, and is her normal self, but the whites of her eyes are red. However, they don't stay red. I contacted her previous owner as she has owned Brynn as a puppy and has stated Brynn has never had cherry eye, in fact her vet records show she has been very low maintenance for a bulldog, but the previous owner stated her eyes often turn red when she gets very tired. I noticed they were red last night before she climbed in her crate for bedtime, and this morning they were white again. Is this normal? Or should I be concerned? I don't want to skip over something that could potentially be wrong.

Thanks for the help/advice!

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Question about Cherry Eye?

Hi , red eyes are not an indication of cherry eye -if you have a look in my gallery or Lily's thread you will see how the cherries look like .
    Maybe Bryn is allergic to something or something might irritated her .
    Mine get red eyes after a long and intense play for no reason -i think it is normal ;-)
    Sorry not much of a advice here ,but im sure more experienced members will be able to advise you
    Hope Bryn feels better soon x
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Question about Cherry Eye?

Harlea's eyes turn red when she is playin hard or gets really excited. Her face will get flushed as well. Usually within 5 minutes of calming down she is back to normal with white eyes and her naturally light pink face. We asked our vet about it and he says they are just like humans and get flushed when really excited and playing so not to worry unless it persists for longer than 10 to 15 minutes after calming down.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Real Name
    Amber
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brynnlee
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marine91 View Post
    Harlea's eyes turn red when she is playin hard or gets really excited. Her face will get flushed as well. Usually within 5 minutes of calming down she is back to normal with white eyes and her naturally light pink face. We asked our vet about it and he says they are just like humans and get flushed when really excited and playing so not to worry unless it persists for longer than 10 to 15 minutes after calming down.
    Okay great! I was tossing the idea around of the vet, but didn't want to make her go there for no big deal. I am thinking maybe because she is new here and is still adjusting she hasn't slept as much - she thinks she is going to miss something, so her eyes have been getting red quite a bit, but then she'll lay down and they go back to being white after a few minutes. I will just keep an eye on it, but thanks for the help

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Both duchess and duke get red eyes when they are tired. Could also be a sign of an irritant though- but wouldn't worry unless you start to get green eye discharge accompanied with red eyes.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, it's very normal for them to have red eyes after playing hard, or if they are hot, or tired. It goes away after rest. You got good advice from everyone above. There's nothing to worry about unless there is goopey eyes or discharge from the eyes, which would indicate an infection. Cherry Eye is when the bottom third eyelid bulges out of the bottom eyelid, and covers part of the eye, it looks like a red bubble over the eye. Redness is usually a sign or an allergy, or an irritation, and from exercise or hard play, and then it goes away.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kathleen
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
    Likes (Received)

Half of Dudley's face is white. I always know when he's tired because the white (skin) around the eye on that side of his face gets red...always gone after a nap!

Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them...
    Filling an emptiness we don't even know we have. -- Thom Jones

Real Name
    Amber
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brynnlee
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone! I have been watching it - no discharge or anything and they do go back to white after a bit. I feel relieved though! Thanks again!

Whoever said diamonds were a girl's best friend has never owned a bulldog <3

Remove Ads