Help Needed! Winston sounds phlegmy... allergies?!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I don't know if this happens everywhere or only in the south, but anyhoo... every damn early fall they cut the tobacco leaves down and then they smoke them in the barns. In the morning you can see a fog everywhere & you can really smell the tobacco burning... It gets my allergies going every year, but I noticed yesterday that Winston sounded phlegmy. It got bad yesterday he was outside playing & he threw up... I gave him some benadryl last night, and again this morning. Is that all I can do for him? I have all the windows shut, but honestly he will have to go outside at times. I will take him to the vet if need be, but I just don't know if he can do anything for him...

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I wish I knew the answer for you. I am sure someone who knows more than me will be along soon. Hopefully you and Winston feel better soon.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I don't know, but sure sounds like outdoor allergies to me.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Squirting lemon juice in his mouth can help break up some of that phlegm in the back of his throat. I can't imagine how you guys deal with that- I would die.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Squirting lemon juice in his mouth can help break up some of that phlegm in the back of his throat. I can't imagine how you guys deal with that- I would die.
It's HORRIBLE!!! Every fall we go thru this... UGH!!! I've just never had a dog that seems bothered by it too...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our Nitschke was like this...brutal environmental allergies. is the throw up white/foam? You can give Benedryl 1mg per pound up to 3x a day.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Our Nitschke was like this...brutal environmental allergies. is the throw up white/foam? You can give Benedryl 1mg per pound up to 3x a day.
Actually it started out grass (of course LOL) mixed w/some food... then of course the white phlegm... I've been giving him Benedryl the last 2 days & he sounds a lot better!!! Should I just keep giving him the Benedryl?!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Actually it started out grass (of course LOL) mixed w/some food... then of course the white phlegm... I've been giving him Benedryl the last 2 days & he sounds a lot better!!! Should I just keep giving him the Benedryl?!!

Ah, memories! White, grassy, foamy vomit.... :bad: Yes, it really is the only option, unless you keep him indoors except for potty, which we had to do a lot with Nithscke too

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ah, memories! White, grassy, foamy vomit.... :bad: Yes, it really is the only option, unless you keep him indoors except for potty, which we had to do a lot with Nithscke too
UGH... well at least it seems to be working!!! Winston LOVES to go outside, so I guess he will be riding the Benedryl TRAIN!!!:lazy2: Poor Nithscke... was he just allergic to outdoors or everything?!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
UGH... well at least it seems to be working!!! Winston LOVES to go outside, so I guess he will be riding the Benedryl TRAIN!!!:lazy2: Poor Nithscke... was he just allergic to outdoors or everything?!!

His environmental allergy list was very long.... all types of grass, molds, weeds, certain bushes and a few trees. Banks is just as bad, if not worse, but her reaction is hives and red face.... Nitschke was what you are dealing with Winston.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Poor Winston!! Give him hugs for me...We only take Sheldon out for potty breaks unless its really really nice out then we let him play outside for a bit other wise its potty and right back into the house. My son takes him out to play with him in the evenings sometimes if its nice but its been so humid lately that you could cut the air with a knife.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
His environmental allergy list was very long.... all types of grass, molds, weeds, certain bushes and a few trees. Banks is just as bad, if not worse, but her reaction is hives and red face.... Nitschke was what you are dealing with Winston.
Did you get a blood test w/ Nitschke? Wondering if it's worth it...

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Did you get a blood test w/ Nitschke? Wondering if it's worth it...

Yes, did it with both Nitschke and Banks.... full screen blood allergy test. They are not fully accurate, but it gives you a great starting point of what to avoid. Most vets will tell you to not 'waste' the money, but myself and our vet believed it was a great way to lessen some of the issues. Also, without it, I would have never known Nitschke was allergic to rice and kept feeding bland diet (rice/chicken) because even our vet thought his constant throwing up was due to something in the food and because it continued on the bland he said when he turns 2 we will do the blood screen and see what comes up.... we did that , identified the rice, removed it from his diet and within a day -- he was like a puppy again. He had about 8 very bad months, but the rest of his life he was one very happy, healthy, snuggle bully!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, did it with both Nitschke and Banks.... full screen blood allergy test. They are not fully accurate, but it gives you a great starting point of what to avoid. Most vets will tell you to not 'waste' the money, but myself and our vet believed it was a great way to lessen some of the issues. Also, without it, I would have never known Nitschke was allergic to rice and kept feeding bland diet (rice/chicken) because even our vet thought his constant throwing up was due to something in the food and because it continued on the bland he said when he turns 2 we will do the blood screen and see what comes up.... we did that , identified the rice, removed it from his diet and within a day -- he was like a puppy again. He had about 8 very bad months, but the rest of his life he was one very happy, healthy, snuggle bully!
Hmmm... well if Winston keeps up w/this, I may go ahead & do it. I didn't do it for his momma Bella, and we had issues w/her for years. Mostly just skin problems, nothing too serious thankfully... Thanks so much for your insight, I appreciate it!!! :thanks:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.