Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION]....this was back in 2010. He's not doing well right now. He, like [MENTION=7734]BullyLove143[/MENTION] has been suffering from petit mal seizures all day, everyday. We are taking him to a brand new neurologist on Tuesday. We are hoping for a new outlook to his condition.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Searched for this topic. My bully is 1 now, and until today, he only had a hand full of fly bitting episodes. Today it lasted all day none stop. Nothing worked to make him stop. I took him to an emergency animal hospital and the vet insisted I start him on 68mg phenobarbital. I am so nervous about it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Vegas has been on phenobarb 64.8mg twice daily for a very long time. There are some side effects of the drug...like hunger. Vegas is also on Zonisamide 300mg twice daily and clorazepate 15mg three times daily. This is not working for him. Please check out my blog. Our journal is listed there. We are going to have him re-evaluated on Tuesday in hopes of a different therapy plan.

Try the phenobarb. If he does well on it, you might be able to stop with only that one drug. And...if he does well on it, you might be able to take him off of it after awhile. Keep us updated. And....PM me if you have any questions about anything at all.

Last edited:

BullyLove143

Jan 9, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Douglas
How is your dog doing ? The pheno is not working for mine. He was good for about 3 weeks on it, that's it.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Great news, I'm so happy for you both!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] seems they are still having trouble

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How is your dog doing ? The pheno is not working for mine. He was good for about 3 weeks on it, that's it.
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion

If the pheno is not working......they will need to add some drugs. One of the most common med combos is pheno plus potassium bromide. I would encourage you to see an neurologist also. There are so many different levels to this disease. Sometimes when a k9 is put on one or two of these meds...the seizures very rarely make appearances. In our case...they still happen. In fact, they happen once every 3 to 6 weeks. Over the holidays...things got scary for us. Vegas had the 6 grand mals in 24 hours then a month later he had 10 in 24 hours. He use to have them early morning (3am) now they are happening around 11am.....when we are at work.

In fact, since December....Vegas has been having facial seizures (or so we thought) multiple times a day. They got so bad and so frequent, we went to a new neurologist to get another opinion. He put Vegas back on a low dose of KBr (potassium bromide) and slowly he is going from 20+ episodes a day to 1. Yes, Saturday and Sunday he only had 1. If we can get him to continue on this path....he may not need an MRI.
There is something going on with his brain that we can't figure out. It may be a "movement disorder"....but we would have to subject Vegas to an MRI before that could be determined.

BullyLove143

Jan 9, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Douglas
My bully is now on a pill and a half of pheno 2x a day and the bromide. He was ok today, but we will see. I've noticed that when he has had a calm day, seizures don't pop up as often.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.