Domino possibly has salmonella!

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Dog's don't get salmonella. I know what you're thinking so hear me out :)

Since the beginning of time dogs have eaten raw, sometimes rotting meat. They still do it today. They get in the garbage, they eat God knows what laying in the road. They are the ultimate scavengers. Evolution has given them iron stomachs filled with amazing acids to digest pretty much anything they put in there. The salmonella risk isn't to the animal, it's to US. WE can get it from THEM by touching the bowls, touching the food and cleaning up the poop. These pet food recalls aren't designed to protect the animal. They are designed to protect the consumer.

OK, so then why does he have diarrhea? The salmonella bacteria (for lack of a better word) infects all of the other ingredients in the dry food. This creates a toxin that WILL upset their tummy's and make them sick. Toxins make everyone sick, including our pets.

Think of it this way. Raw chicken is a staple of any raw fed dogs diet yet they are among the healthiest of animals. People don't eat raw chicken. Why? Because we will get salmonella. We wash our hands and utensils after handling raw chicken. Why? Because we don't want salmonella.

As to how to make him more comfortable? Give him a hug :) The metronidazole will help calm his intestines, in a day or 2 the body will have filtered out the toxins and he will be back to chewing on your shoes in no time :yes:
Very interesting! I probably never would have known this :)

I hope that your baby is feeling much better!

lovemydog

Apr 16, 2013
Wichita, KS
Country
Hong Kong
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus (2011-2013), Orrla (2009-2020), Dugall
In normal cases, diarrhea has a surprisingly simple solution: canned pumpkins. Canned pumpkin is actually pumpkin in a puree form. Pumpkins are very rich in fiber and even adding two teaspoons of canned pumpkin in you dogā€™s food helps the digestion process. Canned pumpkin has a large quantity of dietary fiber and it will also absorb the excess water present in the stool. This makes your dogā€™s stool more firm and results can be seen within a few hours.
Another benefit of canned pumpkin is in treating dogs for constipation. It softens your dogā€™s stool and can cure an upset stomach very quickly. This makes canned pumpkins one of the best natural remedies to your dogā€™s stomach problems.

Most Reactions