Domino possibly has salmonella!

dominomom

Jul 31, 2013
Nacogdoches,TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Domino
Domino possibly has salmonella! She has been having diarrhea off and on for about a week. Been treating her with the bland diet and metronidazole. Find out today that the Iams I have been feeding her was recalled on the 14th! Nothing on the news and all I get when I call the 800# is leave your name ,number and the reason for your call and we will get back to you in 24 to 48 hours.....anybody have any dealings with them in the past? Vet put her on science diet id today any suggestions on how to make her more comfortable?

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
i hope she feels better soon! Someone will be along with help soon I'm sure...I've never had that happen so not very helpful. sorry :(

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Lets hope it is just a stomach bug -Shy had a bad case of runny poo for few days ,and stomach cramps -but nothing was lodged in or he food haven't been changed
Take your dog to see a vet just in case and wishing speedy recovery

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Aww man! Thats horrible maybe its time to switch his food :( My old Pittie use to always have problems with Iams.

OP
D

dominomom

Jul 31, 2013
Nacogdoches,TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Domino
HI Alicia, Dog food Advisor will send recalls directly to your inbox. I have it set up that way. Might want to check it out
using science diet Id for the next week then I'm not sure....guess the hunt is on!

Aww man! Thats horrible maybe its time to switch his food :( My old Pittie use to always have problems with Iams.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh I'm so sorry... that's horrible! Hope she feels better soon :D

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh dear! I am so sorry to hear this, did the vet run any tests to find out for sure?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor girl.... Hope she feels better real soon and is back to her normal self.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Domino possibly has salmonella! She has been having diarrhea off and on for about a week. Been treating her with the bland diet and metronidazole. Find out today that the Iams I have been feeding her was recalled on the 14th! Nothing on the news and all I get when I call the 800# is leave your name ,number and the reason for your call and we will get back to you in 24 to 48 hours.....anybody have any dealings with them in the past? Vet put her on science diet id today any suggestions on how to make her more comfortable?

Dog's don't get salmonella. I know what you're thinking so hear me out :)

Since the beginning of time dogs have eaten raw, sometimes rotting meat. They still do it today. They get in the garbage, they eat God knows what laying in the road. They are the ultimate scavengers. Evolution has given them iron stomachs filled with amazing acids to digest pretty much anything they put in there. The salmonella risk isn't to the animal, it's to US. WE can get it from THEM by touching the bowls, touching the food and cleaning up the poop. These pet food recalls aren't designed to protect the animal. They are designed to protect the consumer.

OK, so then why does he have diarrhea? The salmonella bacteria (for lack of a better word) infects all of the other ingredients in the dry food. This creates a toxin that WILL upset their tummy's and make them sick. Toxins make everyone sick, including our pets.

Think of it this way. Raw chicken is a staple of any raw fed dogs diet yet they are among the healthiest of animals. People don't eat raw chicken. Why? Because we will get salmonella. We wash our hands and utensils after handling raw chicken. Why? Because we don't want salmonella.

As to how to make him more comfortable? Give him a hug :) The metronidazole will help calm his intestines, in a day or 2 the body will have filtered out the toxins and he will be back to chewing on your shoes in no time :yes:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Dog's don't get salmonella. I know what you're thinking so hear me out :)

Since the beginning of time dogs have eaten raw, sometimes rotting meat. They still do it today. They get in the garbage, they eat God knows what laying in the road. They are the ultimate scavengers. Evolution has given them iron stomachs filled with amazing acids to digest pretty much anything they put in there. The salmonella risk isn't to the animal, it's to US. WE can get it from THEM by touching the bowls, touching the food and cleaning up the poop. These pet food recalls aren't designed to protect the animal. They are designed to protect the consumer.

OK, so then why does he have diarrhea? The salmonella bacteria (for lack of a better word) infects all of the other ingredients in the dry food. This creates a toxin that WILL upset their tummy's and make them sick. Toxins make everyone sick, including our pets.

Think of it this way. Raw chicken is a staple of any raw fed dogs diet yet they are among the healthiest of animals. People don't eat raw chicken. Why? Because we will get salmonella. We wash our hands and utensils after handling raw chicken. Why? Because we don't want salmonella.

As to how to make him more comfortable? Give him a hug :) The metronidazole will help calm his intestines, in a day or 2 the body will have filtered out the toxins and he will be back to chewing on your shoes in no time :yes:

:goodpost: I love it here! I learn something new everyday!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.