First Heat Cycle

benjibabies3

May 23, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sassy and Dozer
Our sweet Sassy is having her first heat. She seems miserable and it breaks my heart. She keeps throwing up foam, I'm guessing she has cramps and this is the cause?
She gets to wear big girl panties and isn't to happy about it. Lots of extra love and attention makes her feel a little better. How long does this last? Hopefully it's over soon!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 171

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Aww poor thing! Sorry I cant help. I hope she feels better soon! :( I gotta do some reading up on this topic :/

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
When we got Ruthie from rescue they said she was spade...she wasn't. Her cycle went about 3 weeks. I never had a dog go through heat so I was shocked at that. I hated it. Poor baby...I hope she feels better soon, lots of lovins always helps!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Bella's cycles would last about 3 weeks, and yes they are miserable!!! She was really sleepy too, but I don't remember any vomiting... Good Luck!!!

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
Our previous dog was not spayed - her heats lasted a couple of weeks... several times a year - messy :bad: I never noticed it bothered her though...maybe the first ones do. We once had a neighborhood dog rip off our screen door while our dog was in heat trying to get to her! We just got our Mia spayed at 5 months cause I didn't want to have to go through that again. Are you planning on breeding her? Hope she feels better soon :hug:

Last edited:

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Sorry, no help here, I afraid. Dudley is a male! Poor baby...I hope she feels better soon!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
3 weeks for the cycle, usually they throw up foam if they are overheated or ate something they shouldn't have, don't remember foam from heat cycle. Although there are many changes with the hormones , I don't think it would be throwing up foam, her stomach could be upset. If she is throwing up for 24 hours or everyday, she should see her vet, foam is usually a sign of hunger, empty tummy

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
3 weeks for the cycle, usually they throw up foam if they are overheated or ate something they shouldn't have, don't remember foam from heat cycle. Although there are many changes with the hormones , I don't think it would be throwing up foam, her stomach could be upset. If she is throwing up for 24 hours or everyday, she should see her vet, foam is usually a sign of hunger, empty tummy

:goodpost: Agreed :yes4:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION], I have never had one throw up foam. They usually do this if they are hot and panting too much. The heat cycle will last about 3 to 4 weeks.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Poor girl. Emma's lasted about 3 weeks. She wasn't miserable but she did become extra lovey and quite clingy. Oh and and she kept trying to hump my two males.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah had heat cycles till she was 5 and she got spayed and she never threw up. was tired and miserable and clingy for 3 weeks yes. i gave her one baby aspirin to help her with the pain and hurting and it seemed to help her. thats baby aspirin not regular aspirin. i gave her one in the am and one in the pm but only if needed. perhaps her tummy is empty hence the throwing up.

chikou

Apr 2, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Fiona
My princess is going through her first heat cycle too, she doesnt want to do much except stay in her crate and sleep it off, except when she eating. I dont put diapers on her but should I? lolz i have been basically wiping down her crate because and washing it down over and over lolz. But i am starting to think daiper maybe a good alternative.

mandymae7

Oct 23, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yoshi, Serenity, Cornbread, SunnyMae and Sugar
Our Sunny is 9 months and just started bleeding for her first heat. For the last week or two prior she kept humping all other females and licking them. We have a female who is still lactating...she keeps trying to nurse on her! Guess her hormones are going bonkers! Its actually kinda funny cuz she's bigger than the lactating momma who is 4 years old. Anyhow, we've never experienced vomiting from heats in any of ours. Definitely keep an eye on her. Our 4 year old's heat before last was almost 5 weeks of some spotting. Each female is different but will most likely bleed for at least 2 weeks, minimum. Watch those two extremely carefully for even the two weeks after bleeding has stopped!

mandymae7

Oct 23, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yoshi, Serenity, Cornbread, SunnyMae and Sugar
My princess is going through her first heaet cycle too, she doesnt want to do much except stay in her crate and sleep it off, except when she eating. I dont put diapers on her but should I? lolz i have been basically wiping down her crate because and washing it down over and over lolz. But i am starting to think daiper maybe a good alternative.

If you decide to use diapers, do so with caution. While they come in handy, if its not changed often and even if it is, you can run a higher risk of a UTI and tail pocket issues from being enclosed (heat and moisture)...increased bacteria breeding grounds :-)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Females heat cycles usually are about 3 wks./21 days. approx the 9th day is when they start being the most fertile, and they will swell. But be careful when you think it's over-do not let her around full males. I once had a dog, who got bred after I though her heat was over. It would be good to give her a bath, when her cycle is over, also.She will smell better! Some females will ge very "emotional" when they are in heat!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online