Infections plus other issues

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
I recently had to board Beefy and Johnny due to a business trip to Florida. As we landed in Atlanta on our way back, I checked my phone and had a message waiting from the vet at the place where we had boarded them. The message stated Johnny had vomited 3 times that morning and fainted. I was freaked out! I talked to the vet as I ran through the terminal to catch my next flight in full blown tears. She couldn't explain what had happened and said they had him in a separate room for observation but said he was very pale and they were going to closely monitor him. When I arrived back home I rushed to pick them up and the place said he appeared to being better. I was very upset because this was the second time something had happened with this place. This first time I boarded them there, Johnny ended up with his whole neck raw. They couldn't explain that one either. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt (they use a type of collar with the dogs info and I thought maybe he had a reaction to the sticky stuff on it) and that's why I boarded them with the same place this last time. So, here we are with a second incident, which to me was extreme. He was a perfectly healthy dog when I left him and they were telling me he was vomiting and fainting and they had no clue why. I demanded my dogs. They stunk to high h*ll so the first thing I did was give them a bath once I got home. Johnny's ears were nasty, beyond nasty. Brown gunky stuff, it was gross. Then while washing his booty, I noticed he was red and swollen around his tail. The vet gave me a zymox for his ears and just told me to keep his bum clean. Well, he got worse. So, apparently he has bacterial and fungal infections and they have him on 4 different type meds. Can someone tell me how my boy ended up with these infections? Can anyone explain the vomiting and fainting? He was perfectly healthy when I left him and now all I can do is cry. I feel so bad for boarding them in the first place but then for this to happen,,,, I feel like I failed him.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, first of all please don't blame yourself Hun, you thought you were leaving them in a safe place, being that it was a vets office, you would think a vet would have a safe and clean place to board your dogs. I just wouldn't leave them there again. Is this your vet, or just where you boarded them? I don't know what would cause the vomiting and fainting, but the smell and the bacterial and fungal infections are most likely caused by unclean conditions at the boarding place.
Back in April we went to Jamaica for a week, and I had never boarded my babies before, we went to a few different boarding facilities, but wasn't comfortable with them due to dirty conditions, the people not having any experience with bullies, or just not liking the facilities. We found one place where the owners were bulldog breeders, and they advertised for training and agility courses. When we went there to view the facilities, the front office looked to be clean, the people were very friendly, and appeared to be dog lovers, and I had a very good feeling about it at first. We asked a lot of questions, and to see where the dogs played and slept. They had a big property and told us that the dogs were free and not crated for the whole day. They wanted to meet us and our dogs too to see if they were dog friendly and not aggressive, they took our dogs and started to go to the back of the office into a play area, when we followed, they told us to wait in the office, as it was a safety concern, in case there were aggressive dogs and we got bit. I said to them if they had aggressive dogs, then I didn't want my dogs to stay there, they assured us they didn't, but it was a safety and insurance concern. I came there to see where the dogs would be staying, and to assess the facilities. My hubby wouldn't listen to him, and followed him into the play area, when he came back, he shook his head at me, and said they won't be staying here. After he told me it was very dirty in the play area. I asked the guy to see where the dogs would be sleeping and crated, and asked him why we didn't see any dogs outside, if they ran free all day. He said it was a rest time, and the dogs were in the back. He took me to the back of the property, and brought me to this metal structure building, he said it would be noisy in there because of all the dogs. When we went in, it was so smelly that the odor totally overpowered me, and the lighting was dim, so couldn't see a lot, but there were rows and rows of crates or cages, and they were also piled on top of each other, there were probably about 30 dogs or so, and they were barking so loudly and going berserk in the cages when we entered the room. We went back to the office where my husband was waiting with our guys, and he said I'll see you next week, and we left. When we got back to the car, my husband I both agreed there was no way they were staying there. I called the boarder a few days later and said that we decided we weren't going to board them after all, that my daughter was going to stay at our house and take care of them. We went to Petsmart a few days later and we were talking to the groomers there who absolutely love our dogs, we told them of our experience and asked them if they knew of any good boarders. The girl said Duh, yes us. I didn't realize that they did boarding. She showed us the facilities, they have these rooms, not crates or cages, but actual suites they call them, that have windows so you can see in, they are air conditioned, they have a cot bed to sleep on, two bowls on a stand for good and water, you supply their own food, they go out for two actual walks a day, and they have the playroom where they can play all day. I explained that bulldozer and Blossom can't play all day as they would pant, and they said there is an attendant in the playroom at all times with the dogs, and they would monitor them and place them back in their suites when needed. They got half an hour in the morning and half an hour in the afternoon. The facilities are super clean, their rooms are cleaned everyday, and the playrooms are sprayed down and sanitized daily on a regular basis. They also have staff that stays at the store all night with the animals that are boarded, so they are not left alone, they have a full time vet on call, you can also call your pet and they will put the phone to their ear so you can talk to them, and they hear your voice. I was very happy with the care they received there, and they were very spoiled, I even found out after I got them back home that one of the staff members that was taking care of them did some training with them, the staff at night were quite taken with them and fell in love, so at night they would take them out of the room, and let them roam around the store with them, and played with them. They were quite spoiled, and the staff was very sad to see them go home. Every time we go to the store, the staff from the grooming and boarding come running to play with them , and they are always begging us to bring them to the daycare to play for the day. I was very happy with our experience there and recommend it to,anyone, and I would definetely use them again if I go away.

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Oh no, they'll never stay there again. This place was my "routine" vet. When the boys were neutered I used a vet that is quite a distance from me. He specializes in EB's so I used him for surgeries and will use him in the future. This other vet is someone that I have used for routine type things since May. We are still a little new to this area but they were very close and people had given them good ratings. I normally pay my niece to stay with my dogs when I travel. We did a 3 week trip to Runaway Bay, Jamaica, in July and she was able to stay with my dogs. Unfortunately, those 2 other times was when she either couldn't get off of work or she was out of town.

The May trip was just a few days after the tornado hit Moore, Oklahoma. (where we live). I had a trip planned that I just couldn't get out of and had no other choice but to board them. I cried as I left them. It was the 1st time I had ever boarded them plus we had all just went through so much. I was devastated. We were gone for a week and when I picked them up Johnny's whole neck was raw and Beefy had raw spots on his legs. They tried to tell me that maybe Johnny had a reaction to the glue stuff on their collars that they use but then also said maybe it was all from stress. Stress from the storm and stress from being away from home for the 1st time. I thought maybe they were right and just blew it off but now after this last incident I'm beyond upset.

I'm going to check to see if the Petsmart here has boarding. I'm hoping from now on that when I travel that my niece can stay but it's better to have a back up plan.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
WOW I'm really sorry... it sounds to me like something is up w/that place, and I wouldn't take them back! My boxer caught kennel cough one time when we boarded at the vets, so I've never gone back. The only thing you have to remember about the vets is that they are seeing SICK animals, and if they don't keep the facility really clean then your dog will be exposed to whatever!!! I hope your babies feel better soon... :hug:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Please don't blame yourself, as Monica explained, these people go out of their way to
deceive the public, it happens all the time! I would demand ALL my money refunded as
well as his treatment ON THE HOUSE, they should be offering this w/out you asking but
if not, be polite & calm but firm & resolute. SHAME ON THEM...I am furious on your behalf!
In the future try to find a service that comes to your house or perhaps a responsible teen
in your neighborhood or a college student, you could ask of your church, etc

Prayers for your Beefy...GOD bless!

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Oh poor Beefy. And poor you. Don't blame yourself, you thought you were doing the best for them. I do board Dudley at his Vet's, but every place is different! I hope your baby is better soon! HUGS and Bully kisses!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Yes, that's a really good point about the vets, they see all kinds of sick animals, so things can be picked up very easily. Petsmart keeps their facilities very clean and they sanitize regularly during the day, plus we had to show proof all of our guys up to date vaccines, and they also required them to have the kennel cough vaccine. We also had to write all of our dogs likes and dislikes, routines for pee breaks, and feedings, and they keep hose schedules for your dog. We brought our own food with instructions on when and how much they ate everyday, and they had their favourite toy from home. If your Petsmart in your area provides boarding then I would definitely check them out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sounds like the place is very dirty and your baby caught whatever was there the be picked up. As others stated, get your money back and find a back up to you niece!

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Well, Johnny isn't doing much better. Does anyone know how long it could be before I see improvements? The boarding place just sent me an email asking how he was doing and I fired off a very nasty reply. I'm waiting to see what kind of response I get back. Sighhh, this makes my blood boil.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Well, Johnny isn't doing much better. Does anyone know how long it could be before I see improvements? The boarding place just sent me an email asking how he was doing and I fired off a very nasty reply. I'm waiting to see what kind of response I get back. Sighhh, this makes my blood boil.

I'm really sad hearing this, continuing to pray for Johnny & Beefy.

There is a great wound ointment working wonders called Vetermycin (sp?)

There are some past threads on it, it's super fast acting. I used it on a raw
wound and I couldn't believe how fast and how much better it looked within
a day.

Sending you hugs of sympathy & comfort, Jen...hang in there, Honey & GOD bless.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i have heard of dogs taking like a week or longer to get back to normal after an experience with being boarded but with what your fella was doing it might be good to get him to a vet to get checked out and make sure he is ok.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Have you actually seen where they keep the dogs? Do you have an authority that checks out these places? I would call one if you have it. Our kennel club checks kennels and boarding houses regularly so they should at least be clean and safe. If not, they're closed for business.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.