Drinking more water than usual

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Meekos never been much of a drinker to the point I used to be concerned he would end up developing a UTI or something. Recently though id say the past week or so hes drinking quite a bit more water.. now its not drinking excessive amounts hes actually drinking what id say is normal for a dog.. but for the past year hes never been like this so its the change im worried about .. any ideas?

Hes urinating normal hes not stopping and starting again after small bits so no signs of it stinging him or being difficult for him to peepee.
Hes pooping normal too
Hes eating well and has a good apetite
His behaviour seems normal... there was one incident about 2 /3 weeks ago he wet on his bed through the night which he hasnt done since he was a very little puppy but it only happened the one time

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
If everything else seems fine then I'd say he is just a little more thirsty than usual... is it maybe hot these days? Ulysses doesn't really have any drinking pattern. Sometimes he drinks like a castaway and other days really little, but in such days I hear him wake up a couple times a night to have a little water, and he usually pees the same amounts. If it really worries you and you see any other behaviour changes then you should ask your vet, just for peace of mind :).

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I totally agree with Maia, it could be that it's just been hot, and he's a little more thirsty, or it could be a sign of a bladder infection? Maybe just starting to get one? If he's peeing normal, then it's probably nothing to worry about, just keep an eye on his water drinking and how much and often he pees. If it seems excessive or more than usual, then I would get him checked by the vet to rule out a bladder infection. Also not to scare or worry you, but excessive thirst can be the first sign of diabetes, so if it continues without any reason, then I would definetley check on that with your vet, just to rule it out. Please keep us posted. Sending love and prayers that its nothing.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Meekos never been much of a drinker to the point I used to be concerned he would end up developing a UTI or something. Recently though id say the past week or so hes drinking quite a bit more water.. now its not drinking excessive amounts hes actually drinking what id say is normal for a dog.. but for the past year hes never been like this so its the change im worried about .. any ideas?

Hes urinating normal hes not stopping and starting again after small bits so no signs of it stinging him or being difficult for him to peepee.
Hes pooping normal too
Hes eating well and has a good apetite
His behaviour seems normal... there was one incident about 2 /3 weeks ago he wet on his bed through the night which he hasnt done since he was a very little puppy but it only happened the one time

Maybe he's just discovering that he likes water. Or maybe he's bored. I wouldn't worry about it. If he stops drinking completely or spends every 20 minutes emptying the bowl you can start worrying. For now enjoy this little bit of "normal" :)

cbh142

Aug 4, 2012
Irwin, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Geno
I'd monitor it closely for now just to make sure it doesn't turn into something that seems way off of normal.

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Thanks all! My forst thought was diabetes but im not a professional so I thought id ask here first lol. Hopefully its nothing. If he carries on il take him to the vet on Monday. He doesnt even empty his bowl in a day :lol: I think I just worry too much. I change it regularly through the day and yesterday I marked where I emptied it too and filled to the same line and it wasnt even a full bowl gone in 24hrs. Its not a big bowl either! Im hoping im just a worrier!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.