Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fergus has Kennel Cough

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

Unhappy Fergus has Kennel Cough

Last week my husband and I went on a mini vacation before I start work again after being on medical for a few months and put Fergus and our Lab Guinness overnight at their daycare/ kennel. They love going there so I wasnt worried (too much ok maybe a lot ) . A few days ago I received an email saying that several dogs at the daycare facilities has kennel cough. I didnt think anything of it since both my boys were fine with no symptoms and were vaccinated.

Since I started work I have been taking them to day care every other day since I work 10 hr days. Well I picked my baby Fergus up from day camp yesterday and the girls told they thought he had kennel cough. He sounds like a honking goose Here he is trying to rest between coughs -img_0773-jpg . Luckily our Lab has not shown any signs having kennel cough.

Fergus had a rough night coughing and hacking up phlegm. He has been coughing so hard today he threw up his breakfast. I have a vet appointment tomorrow. I know his vet is going to prescribe antibiotics and I really want to avoid that if possible. He is already taking Keifer, and ACV in the water so I am going to try raw honey to help sooth his throat. I just want to rule out a bacterial infection. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fergus has Kennel Cough

Oh Poor Fergus, hope he gets better real soon

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleym View Post
    Last week my husband and I went on a mini vacation before I start work again after being on medical for a few months and put Fergus and our Lab Guinness overnight at their daycare/ kennel. They love going there so I wasnt worried (too much ok maybe a lot ) . A few days ago I received an email saying that several dogs at the daycare facilities has kennel cough. I didnt think anything of it since both my boys were fine with no symptoms and were vaccinated.

Since I started work I have been taking them to day care every other day since I work 10 hr days. Well I picked my baby Fergus up from day camp yesterday and the girls told they thought he had kennel cough. He sounds like a honking goose Here he is trying to rest between coughs -img_0773-jpg . Luckily our Lab has not shown any signs having kennel cough.

Fergus had a rough night coughing and hacking up phlegm. He has been coughing so hard today he threw up his breakfast. I have a vet appointment tomorrow. I know his vet is going to prescribe antibiotics and I really want to avoid that if possible. He is already taking Keifer, and ACV in the water so I am going to try raw honey to help sooth his throat. I just want to rule out a bacterial infection. Anyone else have any suggestions?
    Awe man, I'm sorry, that's strange he got if he's been vaccinated for it. @Sherry @Davidh will know much more then me. Buster had it when he was 3 months but we had no choice except to do the antibiotics because he was so young. The Vet wouldnt let you bring him in this afternoon? He looks so cute in that photo.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pdolphin27 View Post
    Awe man, I'm sorry, that's strange he got if he's been vaccinated for it. @Sherry @Davidh will know much more then me. Buster had it when he was 3 months but we had no choice except to do the antibiotics because he was so young. The Vet wouldnt let you bring him in this afternoon? He looks so cute in that photo.

I guess the vaccination doesnt cover all strains of kennel cough and the incubation period is 3-10 days. Also dogs who have Kennel cough is infectious for 6-10weeks even though they no longer cough they can still get other dogs sick. I took the day off to be at home with Fergus. I already had an appointment to take our lab to the vet tomorrow so I decided to take them in together. I am hoping the home remedies work before we drug him up

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I guess the vaccination doesnt cover all strains of kennel cough and the incubation period is 3-10 days. Also dogs who have Kennel cough is infectious for 6-10weeks even though they no longer cough they can still get other dogs sick. I took the day off to be at home with Fergus. I already had an appointment to take our lab to the vet tomorrow so I decided to take them in together. I am hoping the home remedies work before we drug him up
    I don't know enough about home remedies for kennel cough and that scares the pants off me that that vaccination doesn't cover all strains! Buster just had his annual one a couple weeks ago. I'm right there with you.

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Vaccinations will simply make the infection not as severe- I suspect duke may have a slight strain of it- I posted about it yesterday. Another member suggested lemon and honey in the water bowl. You can also steam up your shower and sit in there with him to help clear his throat. If he's honking like a goose he will def need antibiotics- duchess had it bad like that last year tried to combat it with no antibiotics day 2 she was honking like a goose, day 3 she he green discharge from her nose and i took her straight to the vet. Cleared up pretty quick I wanna say 7 or 14 days if antibiotics. If they subscribe a cough suppressant I wouldn't use it- duchess got worse with it. I found a steamed up bathroom helped more so than the cough suppressant

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Oooh, kennel cough is a beast with a bulldog.

Although you'd like to avoid an antibiotic, in this case, I really would not mess around. Since upper-respiratory infections can be so troublesome for bulldogs AND lead to lower-respiratory infections (like pnuemonia, which can be deadly for a bully), it's really important to have your bully treated immediately.

I say this because I was in a similar situation: I had vaccinated both of my bullies against kennel cough, they went to day care, Linus started getting a cough...I figured it couldn't be, because I vaccinated them. So I waited. Well, it was kennel cough and my delay in bringing Linus to the vet nearly created a situation where Linus' lungs were infected by the bacteria...so really worth getting to the vet and getting on that antibiotic, which cleared it right up.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

Here is a great article I found about Kennel cough and some home remedies http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/iss...s_16067-1.html I bought the honey they suggested and OMG it was expensive for honey $26. Also gave him some coconut oil. For dinner going to give him boiled beef and rice.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Glad you are taking him in tomorrow and hope he has a quick recovery. It isn't something you want to play around with.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Here is a great article I found about Kennel cough and some home remedies http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/iss...s_16067-1.html I bought the honey they suggested and OMG it was expensive for honey $26. Also gave him some coconut oil. For dinner going to give him boiled beef and rice.
    Any specific reason you are against getting your bully an antibiotic since it sounds like it's a case of kennel cough and antibiotics are the most effective treatment?

Just curious!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone for the advise. Figure all of the natural stuff with the antibiotic wouldn't hurt Poor baby is just miserable I need my PITA back to normal.

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I am sorry to hear this. I hope Fergus gets better soon.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads