Help Needed! Fergus has Kennel Cough

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Last week my husband and I went on a mini vacation before I start work again after being on medical for a few months and put Fergus and our Lab Guinness overnight at their daycare/ kennel. They love going there so I wasnt worried (too much ok maybe a lot :blush2:) . A few days ago I received an email saying that several dogs at the daycare facilities has kennel cough. I didnt think anything of it since both my boys were fine with no symptoms and were vaccinated.

Since I started work I have been taking them to day care every other day since I work 10 hr days. Well I picked my baby Fergus up from day camp yesterday and the girls told they thought he had kennel cough. He sounds like a honking goose :( Here he is trying to rest between coughs IMG_0773.jpg . Luckily our Lab has not shown any signs having kennel cough.

Fergus had a rough night coughing and hacking up phlegm. He has been coughing so hard today he threw up his breakfast. I have a vet appointment tomorrow. I know his vet is going to prescribe antibiotics and I really want to avoid that if possible. He is already taking Keifer, and ACV in the water so I am going to try raw honey to help sooth his throat. I just want to rule out a bacterial infection. Anyone else have any suggestions?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Last week my husband and I went on a mini vacation before I start work again after being on medical for a few months and put Fergus and our Lab Guinness overnight at their daycare/ kennel. They love going there so I wasnt worried (too much ok maybe a lot :blush2:) . A few days ago I received an email saying that several dogs at the daycare facilities has kennel cough. I didnt think anything of it since both my boys were fine with no symptoms and were vaccinated.

Since I started work I have been taking them to day care every other day since I work 10 hr days. Well I picked my baby Fergus up from day camp yesterday and the girls told they thought he had kennel cough. He sounds like a honking goose :( Here he is trying to rest between coughs View attachment 53301 . Luckily our Lab has not shown any signs having kennel cough.

Fergus had a rough night coughing and hacking up phlegm. He has been coughing so hard today he threw up his breakfast. I have a vet appointment tomorrow. I know his vet is going to prescribe antibiotics and I really want to avoid that if possible. He is already taking Keifer, and ACV in the water so I am going to try raw honey to help sooth his throat. I just want to rule out a bacterial infection. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Awe man, I'm sorry, that's strange he got if he's been vaccinated for it. [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] will know much more then me. Buster had it when he was 3 months but we had no choice except to do the antibiotics because he was so young. The Vet wouldnt let you bring him in this afternoon? He looks so cute in that photo.

OP
Ashleym

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Awe man, I'm sorry, that's strange he got if he's been vaccinated for it. @Sherry @Davidh will know much more then me. Buster had it when he was 3 months but we had no choice except to do the antibiotics because he was so young. The Vet wouldnt let you bring him in this afternoon? He looks so cute in that photo.

I guess the vaccination doesnt cover all strains of kennel cough and the incubation period is 3-10 days. Also dogs who have Kennel cough is infectious for 6-10weeks even though they no longer cough they can still get other dogs sick. I took the day off to be at home with Fergus. I already had an appointment to take our lab to the vet tomorrow so I decided to take them in together. I am hoping the home remedies work before we drug him up :pray2:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I guess the vaccination doesnt cover all strains of kennel cough and the incubation period is 3-10 days. Also dogs who have Kennel cough is infectious for 6-10weeks even though they no longer cough they can still get other dogs sick. I took the day off to be at home with Fergus. I already had an appointment to take our lab to the vet tomorrow so I decided to take them in together. I am hoping the home remedies work before we drug him up :pray2:

I don't know enough about home remedies for kennel cough and that scares the pants off me that that vaccination doesn't cover all strains! Buster just had his annual one a couple weeks ago. I'm right there with you. :pray2::pray2::pray2:

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Vaccinations will simply make the infection not as severe- I suspect duke may have a slight strain of it- I posted about it yesterday. Another member suggested lemon and honey in the water bowl. You can also steam up your shower and sit in there with him to help clear his throat. If he's honking like a goose he will def need antibiotics- duchess had it bad like that last year tried to combat it with no antibiotics day 2 she was honking like a goose, day 3 she he green discharge from her nose and i took her straight to the vet. Cleared up pretty quick I wanna say 7 or 14 days if antibiotics. If they subscribe a cough suppressant I wouldn't use it- duchess got worse with it. I found a steamed up bathroom helped more so than the cough suppressant

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Oooh, kennel cough is a beast with a bulldog.

Although you'd like to avoid an antibiotic, in this case, I really would not mess around. Since upper-respiratory infections can be so troublesome for bulldogs AND lead to lower-respiratory infections (like pnuemonia, which can be deadly for a bully), it's really important to have your bully treated immediately.

I say this because I was in a similar situation: I had vaccinated both of my bullies against kennel cough, they went to day care, Linus started getting a cough...I figured it couldn't be, because I vaccinated them. So I waited. Well, it was kennel cough and my delay in bringing Linus to the vet nearly created a situation where Linus' lungs were infected by the bacteria...so really worth getting to the vet and getting on that antibiotic, which cleared it right up.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Glad you are taking him in tomorrow and hope he has a quick recovery. It isn't something you want to play around with.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Here is a great article I found about Kennel cough and some home remedies http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/11_10/features/Kennel-Cough-Remedies_16067-1.html I bought the honey they suggested and OMG it was expensive for honey $26. Also gave him some coconut oil. For dinner going to give him boiled beef and rice.

Any specific reason you are against getting your bully an antibiotic since it sounds like it's a case of kennel cough and antibiotics are the most effective treatment?

Just curious!

OP
Ashleym

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Thanks everyone for the advise. Figure all of the natural stuff with the antibiotic wouldn't hurt :) Poor baby is just miserable I need my PITA back to normal.

OP
Ashleym

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Any specific reason you are against getting your bully an antibiotic since it sounds like it's a case of kennel cough and antibiotics are the most effective treatment?

Just curious!

Not against it just hate to over medicate :)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster had kennel cough that turned into pneumonia right when he was turning 4 months, we thought we were going to lose him. If it wasn't for his lady vet i'm convinced we would have. He was in that vet office every week that month.. Scares me that it will affect him latter on down the road. Lots of good advice here.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oooh, kennel cough is a beast with a bulldog.

Although you'd like to avoid an antibiotic, in this case, I really would not mess around. Since upper-respiratory infections can be so troublesome for bulldogs AND lead to lower-respiratory infections (like pnuemonia, which can be deadly for a bully), it's really important to have your bully treated immediately.

I say this because I was in a similar situation: I had vaccinated both of my bullies against kennel cough, they went to day care, Linus started getting a cough...I figured it couldn't be, because I vaccinated them. So I waited. Well, it was kennel cough and my delay in bringing Linus to the vet nearly created a situation where Linus' lungs were infected by the bacteria...so really worth getting to the vet and getting on that antibiotic, which cleared it right up.

While I absolutely hate antibiotics for every little thing, I agree completely with [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] I would not mess around with kennel cough if that is what is needed. If you choose to go with the home remedy approach I would have his chest examined by your vet every few days to make certain it has not moved into the lungs.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.