Help Needed! Ecoli in Urine

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
So Bertha's sterile urine catch (needle through abdomen) came back + e coli!! How flippin strange is that? She is not on a raw diet and given very limited table food. She is obviously treated like a princess so not covered in feces, etc. She has not had diarrhea that would cause a smear to go up her urethra and besides we wipe her vulva often. She has not had symptoms of a GI infection of e coli either that could have caused the uti after going in her blood stream. Could this have been caused by the Natures Domain food? I see recalls of the Salmon flavor in certain regions for Salmonella but not e coli. Or as Lisa and I discussed, possible contamination after her polyp removal? Oh and she does not eat feces. She eats anything else but she does have some standards, lol. Possibly this has been the culprit all along and we never got rid of it since it is a 3-6 week treatment with strong antibiotics. Does anyone have any history of this or ideas? I am hopeful we have finally found the cause and the cure of her problems. We are half way with the food switch to Fromm Pork and Peas and got her the Urinary Health tablets vs the Cranberry tablets.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
When duchess was a puppy about 12 weeks she had a UTI that went on for about 3 months and took 4 antibiotics due to ecoli. They said she coulda picked it up from squaring so low or possibly fecal bacteria.

OP
agingermom

agingermom

Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
When duchess was a puppy about 12 weeks she had a UTI that went on for about 3 months and took 4 antibiotics due to ecoli. They said she coulda picked it up from squaring so low or possibly fecal bacteria.

This sounds like Bertha's problem. She has been on numerous antibiotics that resolve the UTI briefly and then it returns. However, e coli has never been diagnosed. I am wondering if this PIA has been the problem all along been the culture wasn't grown long enough to have it rear its ugly head!! Thanks for your information

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm sorry I have no experience with this, but just wanting to send love hugs and prayers that Bertha feels better soon, and you finally are able to get her diagnosed and treated, so she gets rid of this.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I sure hope this was the problem all along, so Bertha can finally get better! Poor baby girl has been dealing with this way too long. it will be a relief for you to be able to stop worrying about it too. :hug:

Glad the Fromm switch is going good so far.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Me too...hoping this gets resolved finally...poor babies (both of you).

Sending love & hugs to all!

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Dudley and I have nothing to add, just wanted you to know we are thinking of you and Miss Bertha, and hope she is feeling better soon!:heart:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Tracy I have no advice I just hope you get answers and things get better for baby girl!!! I don't trust any dog food anymore ESP with all these dang recalls! Fromm is awesome and I haven't had any issues with Brutus or Chanel thus far!!! Hugs to you both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
That is crazy... nothing to add here. Just hope that poor Ms. Bertha feels better real soon!!! :D

OP
agingermom

agingermom

Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@JeannieCO @desertskybulldog @ChanelnBrutus @Marine91 @texaccarol @Scueva @Lokismom [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] @bullyluv34 [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] [MENTION=5232]DudleysMom[/MENTION] Well I just picked up the new antibiotic Clavamox at the Vet and almost :poo: my pants $154 for 3 weeks of pills. I think I said a cuss word at the clerk in shock and my jaw ell slack. These damn well better work or Bertha is getting a job, lol

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.