Probably nothing, but.......

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hi Friends,

Quick random question. I have searched the site for anything on this, but nothing applicable comes up.

For a week now, Wilbur has suddenly started acting like he doesn't want to be touched on his sides (so if you're standing over him, and go to pick him up under armpits - shoulder/rib cage area). When I touch him ever so slightly, for example if he is laying on his side, his muscles ripple there and tense up. He doesn't do this when I touch him anywhere else. He used to LOVE getting brushed, but he has been getting up and moving away from me when I do this. It is consistent on both sides (but nowhere else on his body).

I promise this is new - I have my hands on my dogs all the time, and this is a totally new behaviour. There haven't been any incidents or trauma...

Any thoughts or experience with this? Of course I am terrified he is in some sort of pain.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Hmm that is strange -maybe he strained himself? Sorry i never experienced anything like this xxx

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Sounds like something hurts. Best advice I can give is to take him to the vet to have it checked out. Could be something that will go away on its own, but it could also be just the first symptom in something bigger. Without a checkup you just don't know.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
It could be anything from a muscle strain, bug bite or anything in between. To be safe I would also recommend a vet visit to rule out anything serious being that there are no visible signs of trauma it could be something internal.

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
So my pup started doing this a few months ago and.....turns out he is ticklish lol if you know he hasn't had any trauma and don't see signs that your dog is in pain he might not be. I was worried at first but then from touching his sides in certain spots we figured it out. It's kinda funny that they can be so ticklish. Hope this helps!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I noticed 'ripples' with Banks before, but our vet said it is normal and sort of a tickle to them. but the way you explain it, I would be concerned there was some type of pain and be making a vet appointment to be sure.

please keep us posted

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Could be ticklish, but sounds more like a pain of some sort, so I think a trip to the vet would be in order. Plus, don't know if you pick your bully up like you described above, but the proper way to pick a bully up without hurting him is to place one hand under his chest from the front between his front legs and the other hand from behind between his rear legs and lift.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Could be ticklish, but sounds more like a pain of some sort, so I think a trip to the vet would be in order. Plus, don't know if you pick your bully up like you described above, but the proper way to pick a bully up without hurting him is to place one hand under his chest from the front between his front legs and the other hand from behind between his rear legs and lift.

so to be clear on this, one arm between the front legs supporting the chest and the other arm between the back legs to kind of meet the first hand under the dog. and the bulldog is sideways against your own chest? i ask because hubby has to pick Lola up out of bed every morning cuz she lazy..

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=3225]aprilemari[/MENTION] yes that is correct, but your hands will not meet. :) I wish I had a pic of it.

OP
Momma2Bullies

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur

No, No! Of course not, I was just describing the area I am concerned about. I always support their little butt! :)

Thanks everyone - that is funny, because my BF thinks Wilbur is ticklish as well. He seems fine, acting like a goof and everything, but it is just this flinching. I am going to call my vet though, because I want to be on the safe side. :confused:

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Once again [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] was thinking the exact things I was. Perhaps a bug bite or a muscle got pulled. I think you said he lay on his side, right? So if he's laying on his side it can't be too bad if he only reacts that way when you go to touch him....does that make sense?
Good luck and keep us posted, please.
:confused:

OP
Momma2Bullies

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Update: Probably nothing, but.......

Morning all...
I took Wilbee to the vet yesterday. She examined him up and down, felt organs, everything. Naturally he didn't flinch at all when he touched her LOL.
She could find nothing wrong with him at all, and since he was wagging his tail and being a clown the whole time (enjoying his 'massage'), he exhibited no signs of pain at all. She said he is very likely a little ticklish in those spots.

So I can relax about that! However, I did walk away with 3 weeks of antibiotics for his poor chin/face (for the first time in a year, he has a bad breakout of "acne", probably from seasonal allergies).

Thank you for your input guys! xo!!!:yes:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online