Help Needed! Possible kennel cough

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
So today when I woke up duke had a minor dry hacking leads me to beleive possible kennel cough- he didn't do it any more just when he first woke up- I rubbed his throat to see if he would do it again- he didn't I played with him had him run with me he didn't do it again. Duchess has her cryosurgery tomorrow so ill be sure to let the doctor know- my schedule won't allow me to get him into the vet today- tomorrow would be the soonest- any thoughts? Duke and duchess are both vaccinated- Lucas the 3.5 Chihuaha is not as he has bad reactions.

- - - Updated - - -

3.5LB 8year old Chihuaha

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
That is how Bacon was at first in the morning before he stated to throw up consistently. It was a dry hack almost like he was choking, eventually he started gagging and puking a little. We fixed it by giving him a rice cake before bed and in the morning(since he won't eat breakfast that early)

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
About 1-2 weeks ago June would wake up in the middle of the night breathing hard and then acting like she was gonna throw up, or gagging. Gave her some water and yogurt to help her throat thinking maybe it was just dry. She was fine in the morning but kept doing it at night the next few days. I took her to the vet as soon as they opened Monday morning of last week. She didn't have a fever, no mucus in her nose, and was fine at the vet (of course) but I took a video of her doing it to show the vet. Her vet didn't seem concerned and gave her a cough suppressant and some Benadryl to help her sleep at night. It didn't help and seemed to get worse where she was even doing in during the day, and she would just lay down when she had a little cough attack. Being first time puppy parents we decided to take her to the ER vet that Wednesday evening (wanted a different opinion and our vet was closed anyways). I was for sure she had kennel cough, pneumonia or some life threatening disease. (I sometimes read too much into things can you tell? haha) Her vet had given her the bordatella nasal injection which I later read has caused problems in some bullys so we had x-rays done and paid lots of money for them to tell me again it was just a cough, not pneumonia thank goodness, and it would go away. Go figure- the next day she was totally back to her normal shark-puppy self! The ER vet said it looked like just an upper respiratory infection and could give her antibiotics but since she was only 10 weeks she said that could cause her more problems so we didn't get any. Just gave her yogurt with her food in case her throat hurt, frozen green beans, and lots of water and she's totally fine now after about a week.

She is now going to see the "go-to" bulldog vet in Austin on Friday for her last set of shots. Wish I had found him before we got her. Both her current vet, and the ER vet just rubbed me the wrong way about having a bulldog. Just listing all the possible things in the world that could happen to her, almost like they were trying to make me feel bad for buying her. Like I already wasn't upset enough over a cough...

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
hmmm it could be, we unfortunately have a lot of experience with kennel cough in this house. I would recommend you to put a few drops of Lemmon and a little honey in his water and see how it goes. When Ulysses starts having cough symptoms I immediately start with the lemon and it usually works wonders. If it develops into a full-blown cough then you'll probably need a nebulizer to help him decongest.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Poor baby...I learned the hard way that a kennel cough vaccine is no more effective in preventing kennel cough than a flu vaccine is for preventing the flu with humans - it's all hit or miss.

That said, I would keep an eye on things and try some of the remedies mentioned above. BOTH of mine had kennel cough (from doggy daycare) and it was accompanied by a lot of mucous each time. If you're not seeing that, it might be a seasonal allergy issue or some of the issues above.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So today when I woke up duke had a minor dry hacking leads me to beleive possible kennel cough- he didn't do it any more just when he first woke up- I rubbed his throat to see if he would do it again- he didn't I played with him had him run with me he didn't do it again. Duchess has her cryosurgery tomorrow so ill be sure to let the doctor know- my schedule won't allow me to get him into the vet today- tomorrow would be the soonest- any thoughts? Duke and duchess are both vaccinated- Lucas the 3.5 Chihuaha is not as he has bad reactions.

- - - Updated - - -

3.5LB 8year old Chihuaha

Has he been Kennelly or at day care / Dog park lately?

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Fergus came home from day camp with a cough sound like a goose honk and then a gag. When I picked up Fergus the girl at day camp said in the past few days they had several dogs come down with kennel cough :(. So I am going to watch how he does tomorrow and if it gets worse take him to his vet.

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
He hasn't been at any dog parks but I live in downtown Chicago in a very densely populatated area that is ultra dog friendly. So there a re a ton of dogs in the neighborhood. He did sound a touch gargley last night. Only dry hacked once- duchess and the chihauha haven't exhibited any symptoms . I will add lemon and honey to the water today

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
How is Duke doing? I think the kennel cough season has begun, cause I have seen several posts on the topic recently. Ulysses just yesterday night began coughing a little, and we haven't been around dogs lately... this thing just goes in the air my vet told me last year. I though about getting him vaccinated last year, but he actually got the cough the day I went with him to vet to ask if they had the vaccine available. I hope your boy feels better :)

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
How is Duke doing? I think the kennel cough season has begun, cause I have seen several posts on the topic recently. Ulysses just yesterday night began coughing a little, and we haven't been around dogs lately... this thing just goes in the air my vet told me last year. I though about getting him vaccinated last year, but he actually got the cough the day I went with him to vet to ask if they had the vaccine available. I hope your boy feels better :)

I added lemon to his water on a recommendation of another member. I know how serious kennel cough can be as duchess developed 2 upper respiratory infections when she was dukes age. The lemon in the water helped- I might have been jumping the gun. But I monitored very closely and the "dry hack" only lasted a day or two and wasn't anything serious I don't think. He hasn't done it in a few days. My moms Akita just got over kennel cough- her vet told her they have seen a huge increase this year in a "mutant strain" saying they have had to treat with higher doses and stronger meds!

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I think I spoke to soon- woke up this morning and duke has a dry hack and sounds phlegmy- we will be going to vet in couple hours.

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Took duke in- hes clear no kennel cough- thinkin I'm gonna get a home air filter- maybe there was an irritant in the air. But he's clear for now.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Took duke in- hes clear no kennel cough- thinkin I'm gonna get a home air filter- maybe there was an irritant in the air. But he's clear for now.

So glad its not kennal cough. Good job taking him in better safe the sorry... I learned the hard way :eek:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Good to hear!! what we will do for our babies!

Members online

No members online now.