Signed up for Trupanion, any tips?

TX Bully Lover

Aug 7, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
PorkChop
Am I missing something concerning the value of pet insurance? When I researched it, it seemed like they would exclude every possible condition a bulldog was prone to. Hip dysplasia not covered.. Entropion not covered. Cherry eye not covered, etc.. It seemed like the ONLY things they would cover were conditions applicable to all breeds and physical trauma. So basically, most of what you'd be taking your bully in for would not be covered, and the payoff could only come through some serious generic condition or a physical accident. Even then, your "pay-day" would only come once, as the next year your insurance would be cancelled or premiums raised to some prohibitive amount.

Seems to me one is just better off putting your premiums away each month into a savings account and using these funds in case of a medical emergency.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Am I missing something concerning the value of pet insurance? When I researched it, it seemed like they would exclude every possible condition a bulldog was prone to. Hip dysplasia not covered.. Entropion not covered. Cherry eye not covered, etc.. It seemed like the ONLY things they would cover were conditions applicable to all breeds and physical trauma. So basically, most of what you'd be taking your bully in for would not be covered, and the payoff could only come through some serious generic condition or a physical accident. Even then, your "pay-day" would only come once, as the next year your insurance would be cancelled or premiums raised to some prohibitive amount.

Seems to me one is just better off putting your premiums away each month into a savings account and using these funds in case of a medical emergency.

You didn't miss anything. The pet insurance companies are all different. When I was looking for Harlea we went with Trupanion because they would cover all of those things you mention as long as they were diagnosed or occurred after the initial 30 day waiting period unless they happened as an accident which the wait was only 5 days for that coverage. During our research we found that many of the other companies are just like you said in that they hardly cover anything and mostly nothing related to bullies.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.