Signed up for Trupanion, any tips?

elonepb

Aug 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter
Hey all, I know pet insurance is a hotly debated topic and it seemed that Trupanion was a commonly recognized decent insurer. We take delivery of Butter on August 31st but I signed up in advance to begin the 30 day coverage. But I wanted to know if there's anything I can do to be sure that claims are processed without any hiccups. The signing up & obtaining coverage seemed almost too easy since I wasn't asked about pre-existing conditions, a vet report, vaccinations, etc.

Anyone have any "be sure you do this" tips in dealing with Trupanion?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Be sure to ready everything carefully. Even though you are signed up being that you do not have possession of Butter yet the 30 day clock most likely hasn't started ticking yet. If I remember correctly when I signed up Harlea and was filling out the profile online it asked for the date of ownership and last vet visit.

OP
elonepb

elonepb

Aug 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter
If I remember correctly when I signed up Harlea and was filling out the profile online it asked for the date of ownership and last vet visit.

Yeah, I put that down as the day we paid for him (since he's 9 weeks old now). My GF and I are leaving the country this Friday for a week so I'm not taking him into our home until the 31st and am considering him under the care and supervision of the breeder.

Just wondering if things like state registration and up-to-date vaccinations (which are debated here often) are included in their review of claims. Not that I want to have a reason to file one, but just want to be sure I'm prepared with paperwork and everything.

They don't ask for a copy of the latest vet report? To distinguish pre-existing conditions? Or is that something they ask for after a claim is filed?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Yeah, I put that down as the day we paid for him (since he's 9 weeks old now). My GF and I are leaving the country this Friday for a week so I'm not taking him into our home until the 31st and am considering him under the care and supervision of the breeder.

Just wondering if things like state registration and up-to-date vaccinations (which are debated here often) are included in their review of claims. Not that I want to have a reason to file one, but just want to be sure I'm prepared with paperwork and everything.

They don't ask for a copy of the latest vet report? To distinguish pre-existing conditions? Or is that something they ask for after a claim is filed?
When you build the profile online you list all of the vet information there. As they have the info they can get records as needed as part of the policy it giving them permissions to access those records. Vaccinations are not included in coverage, but in one of the forms it specifies that you will keep them up to date and even goes so far as to specify that your pet must be spayed or neutered when they come of the appropriate age for teh procedure in order to maintain coverage.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Youre geting Butter as a puppy so it really wouldnt apply but I made the big mistake the first time i visited the vet of going over everything i noticed about him that could be a problem...He was a recue so i wanted to go over his health from top to bottom. 2 years later i submitted a claim and they denied head tremors as a pre existing condition because on that first visit i mentioned his head shakes sometimes. Youre starting with a clean slate so you should be fine! Good luck with Butter! lets see some pics when you can!

OP
elonepb

elonepb

Aug 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter
2 years later i submitted a claim and they denied head tremors as a pre existing condition because on that first visit i mentioned his head shakes sometimes. Youre starting with a clean slate so you should be fine! Good luck with Butter! lets see some pics when you can!

Wow, if you don't mind me asking, was the claim you submitted related to the head tremors? I understand insurance companies concerns with "pre-existing conditions" but if it was completely unrelated to the issue that seems odd.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Wow, if you don't mind me asking, was the claim you submitted related to the head tremors? I understand insurance companies concerns with "pre-existing conditions" but if it was completely unrelated to the issue that seems odd.
I'm sorry I wasn't clear..yes I brought him in for head tremors ..not realizing I told the vet two years earlier I saw his head shake once. It was pretty much my error. I didn't think it should be a pre existing condition because i he was never treated for it..it was just something I mentioned the first time i ever went and it didnt happen again for 2 years. I didn't even think the vet wrote it down. My fault.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We have Trupanion too. We have never filed a claim (knock on wood) but others here have. [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] can maybe help you with that. I don't think they cover routine exams and vaccinations? I could be mistaken, but Iknow our policy doesn't. We did have the rate raised after the first year..so be prepared. We increased our deductible and it's just really a "peace of mind" thing..if we need it.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=9681]elonepb[/MENTION], I have Trupanion for both Tate and Finn and have filed claims (unfortunately and fortunately), for both! I have to say that everything has been pretty smooth sailing as far as the claims go. I just fill out the claim form, have the vet's office fill out their secition, and submit the health report pertaining to the claim. The most recent one was just a couple wks ago when Finn had GI distress and they had to X-ray him. I have a $100 deductible for him and a higher one for Tate. Anyways, just got an email from Trupanion telling me the amount they will be sending me for this claim so they're very good w/communicating with their clients and updating us on what's going on with the claim.

None of mine had any pre-existing conditions that I was aware of (I also got both directly from the breeder).

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Is that Butter in your avatar picture?

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I have Trupanion for Bogey( he is almost 11 months). A month ago he had a bad bacterial infection, bloody diarrhea, and was found to have dermodex mange. I submitted two separate forms- because each illness has its own deductible. So one for the mange and one for the bacterial infection. The only pain in the arss was since it was my first claim, they wanted notes from EVERY visit with the vet Bogey ever had! And to top it off, he started with another vet and I switched at 4 months, so they wanted those records too! Luckily the first vet complied and sent his records. My current vet gave me the notes and had me send them which was fine. Once all the info was obtained, it took only about a week for reimbursement. And they outlined everything very carefully. They do not consider immunizations, nor the actual office visit charge from the vet. But everything else is covered per the deductible you chose. I am not sorry I did this- will be submitting yet another for his roundworms!! Good luck! Can't wait to see your baby home with you!!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
What a CUTIE!!! YOU'RE going to have Fun! Great thinking getting the insurance. Smart.

OP
elonepb

elonepb

Aug 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter
Thanks all!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online