Vomitting while playing

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm wondering if it's "normal" for bullies to vomit while they're playing. Last night, we took Blue to the dog park. He was running around, chasing another dog like crazy for about 10 minutes, then threw up his dinner. He ate at least 2.5 hours earlier. This is the second time this happened in the last 2 weeks. He needs to run around and get some exercise, I don't want to stop it- but is there anything I can do to prevent the vomiting?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Ummmm, not sure what to do to prevent it unless eating even earlier
before play? With heat & humidity, it is normal to throw up if really
played hard...hopefully more experienced will come by & help you.

Great to 'see' y'all!

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
My pup does this sometimes, more so when he was younger and ate more meals. I try to always make sure that he doesn't over do it after a meal - I usually wait a few hours for him to digest. Sometimes even then he still pukes but keeps on playing. Silly bulldogs.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I don't know if it's considered normal, but Winston does this... Of course he plays, eats some grass, hacks up (sometimes dinner) ... then runs around some more! I guess I just thought this was normal behavior... LOL :confused:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Our French used to do this in the summer. Probably just the excitement of it all. He's still a baby. :D Good to see you!!!

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
It's good to see you guys too, [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] @pdolphon27 Thanks for the responses. I'm still concerned though. Going to the Vet (for his cherry eyes, he now has it in both eyes) tomorrow, will mention this as well. Between work, hubs and Blue, I've been very busy and just exhausted. Hoping this isn't anything serious.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It's good to see you guys too, @Texas Carol @pdolphon27 Thanks for the responses. I'm still concerned though. Going to the Vet (for his cherry eyes, he now has it in both eyes) tomorrow, will mention this as well. Between work, hubs and Blue, I've been very busy and just exhausted. Hoping this isn't anything serious.

Me Too :pray:, please let us know what happens, I :heart::heart::heart: that little muffin.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I know this bully that attends our meet ups that are known for always throwing up after playing too hard! Sometimes he pukes 2-3 times in a matter of 2 hours. His owner won't even feed him breakfast because she knows he tends to vomit while running around.

I guess for some dogs it might just be a normal reaction when they play a little too hard! :) Hopefully is nothing serious

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if thats the only time they do it i dont think i would be to concerned. perhaps just a small meal before going to the park then feed the rest when you get home and they are rested a bit. maybe more rest time or breaks at the park. you could give a pepcid before going and see if that helps the vomiting.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I hope it is nothing, but as others suggested... Give a smaller meal or no meal till after park time and then feed when you get home. Let us know what the vet says cherry eye and vomit issue.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Amy has done this a few times when she plays really hard. Not often, but it has happened. I'm not sure exactly what to do about it either.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

So we went to see the vet (actually two) at the "Animal Medical Center" in nyc. Heard very good things about this place.
The Opthamologist said Blue needs both eyes tacked. We already knew this just needed it confirmed and to set up a date for the procedure.

We also saw another vet who specializes in soft tissue and orthopedic surgery. The reason for this was, twofold. I want his hips x-rayed when he's under anesthesia for the cherry eye procedure, and I want his soft palete checked as well. We noticed he's breathing harder as he's getting bigger. I know this is more or less normal in bulldogs, but if there's anything we can do to make him breathe easier, we're all for it. Same thing with his nares, they're going to widen them. Both the nares and palete will be done with a laser. The palate only if necessary though. My vet and the surgeon think it probably will be though as it's normal for bulldogs to have a long palate. They'll also be checking for other things as well. Blocked tonsils, and some kind of nodes that also restrict breathing, can't remember what they're called now. The good news is Blue's range of motion is fine, and he's not in pain. so the Vet's not too concerned but agreed that it's a good idea to do the x-ray of his hips anyway, as it's a good to have a baseline if any problems start in the future.

So, all the procedures will be done in one shot, three weeks from next Monday. Coordinating both Vets was a huge pain, and we were there for house today, but glad it got done!
Also, this hospital has massive experience with bulldogs. From what I was told today, they see more bullies than any other practice in NYC (who knows if this is true or not, but everyone I spoke with there was very, very familiar with the breed and their issues).

Now, just for the soft tissue surgery, hip-xray, pre-surgery chest x-ray, the bill's over 3k. We didn't get the bill for the Opthamologist yet but we're assuming it's similar. This is why it's sooooo important to have pet insurance. I'm hoping we won't have any problems with Trupanion reimbursing us.

Regarding the vomiting- @LariP I was told if it's not a normal occurrence, not to worry. Bulldogs tend to get overly excited, and like others here have said- and my vet agreed, don't let them play too hard after eating. Even if it's a few hours later. Give them time outs often and don't let them gulp water while they're running around.
Again, it shouldn't be anything serious but monitor it. If the vomiting increases, take her to the vet.

Phew- sorry for the long post but I didn't want to leave anything out! lol..

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online