Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Vomitting while playing

I hope it is nothing, but as others suggested... Give a smaller meal or no meal till after park time and then feed when you get home. Let us know what the vet says cherry eye and vomit issue.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Amy has done this a few times when she plays really hard. Not often, but it has happened. I'm not sure exactly what to do about it either.

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

So we went to see the vet (actually two) at the "Animal Medical Center" in nyc. Heard very good things about this place.
    The Opthamologist said Blue needs both eyes tacked. We already knew this just needed it confirmed and to set up a date for the procedure.

We also saw another vet who specializes in soft tissue and orthopedic surgery. The reason for this was, twofold. I want his hips x-rayed when he's under anesthesia for the cherry eye procedure, and I want his soft palete checked as well. We noticed he's breathing harder as he's getting bigger. I know this is more or less normal in bulldogs, but if there's anything we can do to make him breathe easier, we're all for it. Same thing with his nares, they're going to widen them. Both the nares and palete will be done with a laser. The palate only if necessary though. My vet and the surgeon think it probably will be though as it's normal for bulldogs to have a long palate. They'll also be checking for other things as well. Blocked tonsils, and some kind of nodes that also restrict breathing, can't remember what they're called now. The good news is Blue's range of motion is fine, and he's not in pain. so the Vet's not too concerned but agreed that it's a good idea to do the x-ray of his hips anyway, as it's a good to have a baseline if any problems start in the future.

So, all the procedures will be done in one shot, three weeks from next Monday. Coordinating both Vets was a huge pain, and we were there for house today, but glad it got done!
    Also, this hospital has massive experience with bulldogs. From what I was told today, they see more bullies than any other practice in NYC (who knows if this is true or not, but everyone I spoke with there was very, very familiar with the breed and their issues).

Now, just for the soft tissue surgery, hip-xray, pre-surgery chest x-ray, the bill's over 3k. We didn't get the bill for the Opthamologist yet but we're assuming it's similar. This is why it's sooooo important to have pet insurance. I'm hoping we won't have any problems with Trupanion reimbursing us.

Regarding the vomiting- @LariP I was told if it's not a normal occurrence, not to worry. Bulldogs tend to get overly excited, and like others here have said- and my vet agreed, don't let them play too hard after eating. Even if it's a few hours later. Give them time outs often and don't let them gulp water while they're running around.
    Again, it shouldn't be anything serious but monitor it. If the vomiting increases, take her to the vet.

Phew- sorry for the long post but I didn't want to leave anything out! lol..

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@Blueberrys Mom No sorry's allowed. You got it all and I'm so happy that you're scheduled to do it, I doubt you'll have any trouble with Tupanion, just keep all of the stacks of paperwork. Thank you for the great news!

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pdolphin27 View Post
    @Blueberrys Mom No sorry's allowed. You got it all and I'm so happy that you're scheduled to do it, I doubt you'll have any trouble with Tupanion, just keep all of the stacks of paperwork. Thank you for the great news!
    Thank you
    The hips were good news (for now), and the vomiting as well. The idea of my little monkey having surgery though, makes me .
    But it has to be done.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberrys Mom View Post
    Thank you
    The hips were good news (for now), and the vomiting as well. The idea of my little monkey having surgery though, makes me .
    But it has to be done.
    I know how you feel. Always scary but he'll be ok and it does have to be done. My poor little Blueberry. He'll be feeling so much better after its done.

"Hit me baby one more time!" 4WHLN's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
    Likes (Received)

Dooley has done the a couple times as well. I didn't think anything of it being this was within an hour of eating.

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberrys Mom View Post
    Thank you
    But it has to be done.
    Poor little Blue! And you! I know you must be worried! The brachycephalic surgery was rough, but worth it for us. The worst part was the nares after the laser surgery--so much drainage that would block her nares at night. She really hated me cleaning them. Mabel also had the tonsils and saccules removed. Her breathing can still be troublesome at times, but she has an enlarged epiglottis that causes occasional problems. I know you will be a wreck! Make sure he will be closely monitored the night following surgery. Our vet takes the dogs home with him so he can keep a close eye on their airway.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Real Name
    Adam & Jen
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Something that I forgot to add that has helped my pup is squirting lemon juice in this throat - help break up any phlegm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads