Need some help!

Tank1023

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Sausage
A few months ago I noticed sausage scratching a lot. He had scratched himself raw on this belly. I took him to the vet who thought it may be a food allergy (he was on Fromm) but wasn't convinced so he had me use a topical antibiotic at first. Didnt work.
Took him back, he gave him an anti histamine and some prednisone and a oral antibiotic. Once he finished the antibiotic the scratching and irritation came back.
Then he put him on a prescription food (no treats) prednisone, antihistamine and special shampoo and conditioner.
This still hasn't worked either.
We are having a wet summer here and were in an apt. While our house is being built. I walk him everyday and he poops in the high native grass.
Im at my wits end, I want him to feel better but his is costing me a fortune in vet bill and I don't have the $1000 for the skin allergy test. (Still need to check my ins. To see out of pocket)

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It could be the grass he is going in. Try to clean his belly every time he comes in from outside and see if that helps.

OP
Tank1023

Tank1023

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Sausage
I thought about the grass too but it started before we sold our old house and moved into the apartment.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Skin allergies can pop up during the Spring and summer just from any grass, two of mine need to be kept in check from being in the yard. Allergies are a real pain in the butt. Have you tried Mallacet Ultra? or Douxo pads ? it's basically an antiseptic with Chlorhexidine in it

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
[MENTION=6424]Tank1023[/MENTION] Poor Sausage. If it is the grass try putting him in a shirt on his walk. You can also try washing him in a medicated shampoo http://www.amazon.com/Douxo-Chlorhe...7&sr=8-1&keywords=duoxo+chlorhexidine+shampoo and do a vinegar rinse ( let sit for 5 minutes do not rinse out then dry) and like Sherry mentioned use duoxo pads to wipe between shampoo.

I have also used vetericyn spray on raw areas with great success http://www.amazon.com/Vetericyn-Wou...UTF8&qid=1376865596&sr=8-2&keywords=vetericyn

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:hug:You already got great advice from members above. Which Fromms are you using? If it is chicken it may be causing sensitivity, my Blossom is allergic to chicken and salmon. Your vet seems to be on top of it, he's tried antibiotics, antihistamines and prednisone cream, and it has helped while Sausage was on it, but then it returns, this makes it sound like its definetely allergy related, if it happened before you moved, then it's probably not the grass, so could be anything like new cleaners being used, change in shampoos, or laundry detergents, or food/ treats. It's mostly trial and error and eliminating things when trying to figure out their allergies unless you have him tested, but it is expensive. I hope you are able to figure it out, good luck and keep us posted. Sending love, hugs, and prayers to you and sausage that he feels better soon.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
It could also be the stress of the change of living arrangements. Sheldon doesn't like change at all and he breaks out in a nervous rash.

OP
Tank1023

Tank1023

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Sausage
My wife picked a new bed for sausage and his belly is getting better. He chews up every bed he get so we've been using carpet. I'm wondering if he is sensitive to carpet. It got worse when we moved into this apartment, good thing about our house being built is we put a ton of hardwood in.
I hope were on the right track.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 104

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
My wife picked a new bed for sausage and his belly is getting better. He chews up every bed he get so we've been using carpet. I'm wondering if he is sensitive to carpet. It got worse when we moved into this apartment, good thing about our house being built is we put a ton of hardwood in.

Could be sensitive to whatever they cleaned the carpet with before you moved in too

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

between the move, the carpet, the grass... He could be stressed. Banks was a mess when we were in the same situation but for her it was depression--- all she wanted to do was eat and sleep.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online