Other allergies

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
all 3 of my dogs have food and outside allergies. ive been giving them a probiotic for a while now and decided recently to give vit c another shot as well. not sure if the dose is proper but i give 125 mg twice a day as it does not last all day. well these seemed to help some and just recently i added some diatomaceous earth to the mix 1 teaspoon a day in their canned food. i have since upped sarahs to 2 tsp a day. there are some here who feed it and it says for immune system so i got some pet grade kind to try. i have noticed a marked decrease in all 3 of my dogs allergies since i started doing this. i give sarah about half her benadryl i was giving her and her red eyes and runny nose are much better. my bostons i havent had to give them any benadryl in a week. eyes are not as red nor does the one have a runny nose. their coats look brighter, shinier and feel better since starting this. i thought maybe it was just the de but i gave her some without the vit c and she had a bit of a runny nose and after a while i gave her some vit c which cleared this right up. im not saying their allergies are totally gone by any means but they do seem better when i give these things. :hmm: just wanted to share this in case someone else wants to try it.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
:D I gave Griz and Jack vitamin C too, also a zinc tab, things cleared up within a week. Hotspots dried up, figured it's good for the immune system, couldn't of been any worse. I was first concerned about the dose of C because it could've given the runs if too high. but not so. All is well.

Happy to hear your action is working for your kids too

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Very interesting!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
all 3 of my dogs have food and outside allergies. ive been giving them a probiotic for a while now and decided recently to give vit c another shot as well. not sure if the dose is proper but i give 125 mg twice a day as it does not last all day. well these seemed to help some and just recently i added some diatomaceous earth to the mix 1 teaspoon a day in their canned food. i have since upped sarahs to 2 tsp a day. there are some here who feed it and it says for immune system so i got some pet grade kind to try. i have noticed a marked decrease in all 3 of my dogs allergies since i started doing this. i give sarah about half her benadryl i was giving her and her red eyes and runny nose are much better. my bostons i havent had to give them any benadryl in a week. eyes are not as red nor does the one have a runny nose. their coats look brighter, shinier and feel better since starting this. i thought maybe it was just the de but i gave her some without the vit c and she had a bit of a runny nose and after a while i gave her some vit c which cleared this right up. im not saying their allergies are totally gone by any means but they do seem better when i give these things. :hmm: just wanted to share this in case someone else wants to try it.

I'm starting to wonder about Winston... we have switched to Fromm, but I'm starting to think he may have a grass allergy. Do you give them yogurt at all or just the probiotics? Where did you find the diatomaceous earth? Thanks so much for all your wisdom Sandra!!! ;)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Yea!!! Great stuff, thank you! Cami is having problems w/skin itchiness even w/drinking
ACV, rinsing w/it, DE in food...going to try this...and Zinc too (thank you, Sherry).

OP
cowsmom

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok so after 3 weeks or so of this i have had to stop the de as it made sarahs yeast so much worse and very quickly. not trying to deter anyone i just want to alert someone to the possibility of this happening and to watch out for bullies that already have yeast. so for now its probiotic and vit c and ive added the zinc back in for her skin as she had no problems before with these. her yeast is clearing up nicely now so far.

edit= it also gave her diarrhea somewhat. firm in the beginning and loose at the end which has also cleared up with the removal of the de.

Last edited:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
ok so after 3 weeks or so of this i have had to stop the de as it made sarahs yeast so much worse and very quickly. not trying to deter anyone i just want to alert someone to the possibility of this happening and to watch out for bullies that already have yeast. so for now its probiotic and vit c and ive added the zinc back in for her skin as she had no problems before with these. her yeast is clearing up nicely now so far.

Thanks for reporting back...fascinating...wonder if
@Twice
has a clue as to WHY
this could be?

OP
cowsmom

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow

Thanks for reporting back...fascinating...wonder if
@Twice
has a clue as to WHY
this could be?
i looked it up but supposedly its good for fungus and yeast so im not sure. now i do know i ran out of her probiotics for several days before i got some more. ill have to do some more checking. my bostons did not do well with it either. they got red tummies and itched for a while after i gave it the were ok. it took several weeks for these effects to come up. perhaps just a once a week dose for her but they wont be able to eat it at all as they are fine now without it. maybe the dose was to high at 1 teaspoon for them

Members online

No members online now.