Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
You know that part just makes me so mad... Why the hell would someone just throw a lightbulb into your garden?!! What is wrong w/people?!! I get so mad when I see people litter in any fashion... just pure LAZINESS!!! Ok off my soapbox for now... LOL
:angry:

Ja I get angry too, this is Africa, nothing surprises me anymore:( I'm always so paranoid cos here it's very common that pets gets poisoned for what ever reason. Know of so many people who has lost esp cats to poison:( Also there is some kind of mix they put in empty plastic bottles that explodes if you pick it up... and we all know dogs love to chew plastic bottles. It's more common in the big cities and we're living in a very small town but you can never be to careful. What people don't understand is that my dogs are my kids and it will kill me if something happens to them. Sadly the majority here has no compassion for animals:(

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ja I get angry too, this is Africa, nothing surprises me anymore:( I'm always so paranoid cos here it's very common that pets gets poisoned for what ever reason. Know of so many people who has lost esp cats to poison:( Also there is some kind of mix they put in empty plastic bottles that explodes if you pick it up... and we all know dogs love to chew plastic bottles. It's more common in the big cities and we're living in a very small town but you can never be to careful. What people don't understand is that my dogs are my kids and it will kill me if something happens to them. Sadly the majority here has no compassion for animals:(

I'm so sorry... Here in TN people just put dogs on chains & leave them outside 24/7. They are not considered family, and they will get rid of them at a drop of a hat if they become too expensive, or bark, or whatever stupid reason they come up with!!! Our poor rescue's around here are filled to the brim constantly!!! It makes me very angry... :cursing:

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
It's so sad:( it's the same here [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION], not many let their dogs in the house even. I don't understand it, why even get a dog if you're not going to enjoy it? People say I don't understand cos I don't have kids but I think they are the once who don't understand. At least here there are not many, if even any bulldogs in the rescues. I do see them sometimes in adds but people want good money for them so they will go to decent homes. Luckily vets here are relatively cheap so most can afford health issues if there are any. We "rescued" a neglected bulldog, Joey, she was locked into a small brick court yard for 27 month until the owner decided to sell her. Jep, we had to pay they stupid owner to save the poor bully, but I would gladly do it again. She's the sweetest thing:)

Boeboe and Bennie are still acting normal... they are a bit depressed cos I closed the door so I can keep an eye on them all the time, but that is normal too. But I guess it's to early to tell anything yet anyway...

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
They can be sooooo stupid at times.... but actually swallowing glass? I don't think so. You may want to try to inspect their lips and inside their mouth for any cuts. That could also be an indicator as to whether they swallowed any.... I kinda doubt it.
what Bruce said...i would think if the chewed and swallowed anything there would be cuts inside the mouth somewhere........they were probably just investigating :) i know though, you will be on pins and needles until enough time has passed !

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
what Bruce said...i would think if the chewed and swallowed anything there would be cuts inside the mouth somewhere........they were probably just investigating :) i know though, you will be on pins and needles until enough time has passed !

Ja, I've been digging in their mouths all day, they are a bit tired of me right now... haven't found anything suspicious like cuts or blood so I'm a tiny bit calmer now, but I doubt I'll sleep much tonight:( will lay and listen on them snoring<3

They've been acting normal all day, eating, playing and snoozing... my problem is how long time is "enough time"??? I know for sure I could take this too far... Think I'm gonna have to have a less hysterical conversation with the vet this weekend and see what they say... I barely remember anything from the call earlier today:eek:

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
Ja, I've been digging in their mouths all day, they are a bit tired of me right now... haven't found anything suspicious like cuts or blood so I'm a tiny bit calmer now, but I doubt I'll sleep much tonight:( will lay and listen on them snoring<3

They've been acting normal all day, eating, playing and snoozing... my problem is how long time is "enough time"??? I know for sure I could take this too far... Think I'm gonna have to have a less hysterical conversation with the vet this weekend and see what they say... I barely remember anything from the call earlier today:eek:
not sure how much time it would take....i do know that when forde was around 2 yrs. old he had one of the hard plastic blue pools , he loved it and would play with it non stop, with no water in it flip it over, get under it and run around with it over top of him , very freaky looking lol.....then he got to where he wanted to chew on it..... i thought no biggy.....but one day as i was doing yard work he chewed a place about the size of a dinner plate out of it and ate several pieces of it, the pieces were sharp....i was just sick...i would see sharp slivers of it in his poop each time he went.....it took him about a week to pass it all ......:) maybe someone knows better about the length of time something like this takes......keep us posted on how it goes....:)

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you @FRODE'SMOM, I'll investigate their poop and if there isn't any sign of glass or blood for the next two weeks I guess I can maybe let it go... but I know for sure if there is anything abnormal ever from now on I'll worry. I'm the queen of worrying:blink:

Very cute with the pool:D besides the chewing part of course:eek: I've been planning to get one of those pools for my kids this summer, will remember to check on them so they don't eat it...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OH my gosh... I so hope they did not eat/swallow any of it.... like others said - watch the poo for any signs .

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Hugs and prayers coming your way!!!

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
I was just checking their poo, dug in with my garden tools, and I'm relieved to say there were no signs of glass, blood or anything abnormal. Still worried though...

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
A little update... everything still normal. I was just out in garden with flashlight and stick to check "evening poo" and I couldn't find anything wrong with it. All seems good so far, they are playing and eating as normal too:) Now they are nicely tucked in under blankets in their beds<3

MzGrnMnM

Aug 17, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator
We have not experienced the actual eating of glass, but when Gator is in the car he bites the window. I get scared too. I worry that he'll actually break it!!!
I will keep your babies in my prayers...all will be ok

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
It's been a week since I found my kids in the garden chewing a broken light bulb... I was a mess for the first few days and I'm still feeling scared when examine their poop:( I haven't found any glass and they have been acting as if it never happened, so I'm starting to believe they just had fun chewing it. I'll never get over this, I'm paranoid leaving them by themselves even for a minute and whenever someone walks past outside on the street I spy on them as if everyone is out to harm my kids, jrrr, I sound like a crazy person, lol:eek:. This is Africa, and it's so common here that dogs gets killed for planned robbery or break-ins:*( I do realize though that they would probably put the glass in some kind of food if that were the case, but it's still hard for me to relax. Thanks to everyone who listens to my crazy ***:hug:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Wonderful news, Petra...thank you so much for reporting back to us.

You are not a nut or maybe we all are nuts, who cares then :)

As time goes by, you'll relax more, I don't blame your precautions.

Africa (the world) IS dangerous...GOD bless and protect you & yours!

Most Reactions