Eating glass!!?

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I'm so angry, sad and scared at the same time, I found my kids chewing glass in the garden. I found out it's a light bulb from a street light, someone must have thrown it into our garden cos we don't have a street light anywhere near our yard and I didn't see anything laying around earlier today.

I've talked to the vet and at this point there isn't much to do... she says it's very unlikely they would swallow glass and I know if I focus a bit that she is right, our dogs are not swallowers in the first place, they like to chew things into a million pieces and leave it like that, but how can I know? I feel so guilty for leaving them alone, they like when the door is opened and they can run in and out as they want, am I not supposed to be able to have my dogs enjoying the garden anymore:( this sucks.

I'm really a mess, cried while talking to the vet, she even thought I sad "chewing a steak in the corner" when I said "chewing glass in the garden", I might laugh at that later once I know my kids will be ok. It's now about an hour ago this happened and they seem normal, I will not be able to relax for at least a month or two.

Anyone here with any experience of this? Please I only want good news and advice, I'm already worked up and scared to death:*(

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
010.jpg
Here is a picture of the "leftovers", it's horrible, the edges are so sharp:(

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Im so sorry Petra that would be terrifying. Do you know if your Bulldogs ate any glass?

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't know [MENTION=6717]pdolphin27[/MENTION], I feel horrible:( I have found lots of glass where they were chewing it and I also when I searched their mouths there were glass hiding in the "mouth folders". I don't know at all... they normally don't eat non eatable things and I find pieces of wood and other "stuff" in their mouth folders all the time so it doesn't mean they did swallow glass. I found what kind of bulb it was and it at least does not contain quicksilver as I know some do... I'm glad about that for now. The worst thing is not knowing, there is no certain timeline for when this can start giving them issues and that is just hard. Luckily I'm not working so I'm with them all the time but we live 1 1/2 hour from a decent vet and that is scary too. But thinking about the amount of glass I have found it's likely they didn't eat any or at least not much. I'm rambling here:eek:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't know @pdolphin27, I feel horrible:( I have found lots of glass where they were chewing it and I also when I searched their mouths there were glass hiding in the "mouth folders". I don't know at all... they normally don't eat non eatable things and I find pieces of wood and other "stuff" in their mouth folders all the time so it doesn't mean they did swallow glass. I found what kind of bulb it was and it at least does not contain quicksilver as I know some do... I'm glad about that for now. The worst thing is not knowing, there is no certain timeline for when this can start giving them issues and that is just hard. Luckily I'm not working so I'm with them all the time but we live 1 1/2 hour from a decent vet and that is scary too. But thinking about the amount of glass I have found it's likely they didn't eat any or at least not much. I'm rambling here:eek:
You're not rambling. Just scared. I would be scared. Hopefully they were just playing around with it and everything will be ok. You got my prayers that everything will be fine. :D;):D

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
You're not rambling. Just scared. I would be scared. Hopefully they were just playing around with it and everything will be ok. You got my prayers that everything will be fine. :D;):D

Thank you, feel a lill better now:)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Petra, I'm so sorry... I know that you are worried sick about your babies! I don't have any experience w/glass... Bella had swallowed a live baby bird, starfish & plenty of other strange things. Hopefully they were just chomping on it, and decided to spit it out. I don't understand why these dog try to eat everything... I took Winston for a short walk yesterday & the entire time I was either keeping him away from stuff, or taking it out of his mouth! Just try NOT to panic, it will make it worse for all of you... Sending prayers your way, just keep an eye on them today and please keep us posted!!! :hug2:

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Not rambling at all! I'm impressed you can form full sentences! I'm so sorry you're going through this. Ill be praying for you and the babies

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
View attachment 52620
Here is a picture of the "leftovers", it's horrible, the edges are so sharp:(
Wholly chit! You're not rambling at all Petra! I would be scared to death too. Swallowed glass is one of the worst things to for them to have in their systems. T I know when I was doing research on the foreign objects dogs swallow glass was one of the worst. Hopefully he didn't swallow any and all the pieces that were broken were large. his is going to be a long couple of months for you. :hug:

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6241]Jackieshoes[/MENTION]:) this is the first time I'm dealing with them maybe swallowing something dangerous. They're still acting normal, sleeping and snoring here by my feet<3

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
They can be sooooo stupid at times.... but actually swallowing glass? I don't think so. You may want to try to inspect their lips and inside their mouth for any cuts. That could also be an indicator as to whether they swallowed any.... I kinda doubt it.

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
It will be two veeery long months for sure, I don't know if I will ever get over it [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] :mellow: I'm trying to make a puzzle out of the bulb but it's impossible, I don't even know what it looked like from the start. Apparently glass wont show up on x-rays either so there is not much I can do but wait and hope for the best:'(

I have a Pug who ate a glass bulb almost 3 years ago, that one contained mercury and she got SO sick but she is now fine, so I have hope. It's a bit hopeless in this country cos people just throw stuff in the nature (or into other peoples yards):cursing: I'm checking for **** in our garden all the time, rarely find anything though but today I was unlucky:(

I'm the most paranoid person on the planet and I just cant believe this has happened:(

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
It will be two veeery long months for sure, I don't know if I will ever get over it @JeannieCO :mellow: I'm trying to make a puzzle out of the bulb but it's impossible, I don't even know what it looked like from the start. Apparently glass wont show up on x-rays either so there is not much I can do but wait and hope for the best:'(

I have a Pug who ate a glass bulb almost 3 years ago, that one contained mercury and she got SO sick but she is now fine, so I have hope. It's a bit hopeless in this country cos people just throw stuff in the nature (or into other peoples yards):cursing: I'm checking for **** in our garden all the time, rarely find anything though but today I was unlucky:(

I'm the most paranoid person on the planet and I just cant believe this has happened:(
You know that part just makes me so mad... Why the hell would someone just throw a lightbulb into your garden?!! What is wrong w/people?!! I get so mad when I see people litter in any fashion... just pure LAZINESS!!! Ok off my soapbox for now... LOL
:angry:

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION], the vet told me to give them lots of food so it would mix with the glass if there were any. I searched their mouths very well after I found them chewing it and before I fed them cos I was scared that they would swallow any glass they had in there while eating. Found one piece of glass in their mouth folders:( but no cuts and no bleeding...

I somehow dont think they would swallow it... also it would be very hard to do cos the glass pieces are convex so it wont be a smooth task to get it down... but still, it's freaking me out:(

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Wow... you have every right to be scared. I would have a hard time communicating myself if Harlea had eaten something like this. Sending lots of thoughts and prayers your way.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online