Thread: GERD, Licking

Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    daphnee
    Likes (Received)

Default GERD, Licking

8yo bully on California Natural Kangaroo. Seems to be licking paws, couch, does the licking of air. Also seems to have GERD, burps and then seems to "chew" after the burp.. she's ALWAYS had food allergies, reason she's now on Roo.. has gone thru the whole protein line of Natural Balance and California Natural.. Could the licking be boredom????? She's good weight, slowing down in her old age, but still has bursts of p and vinegar. BMs with the roo have been very good. Pumpkin has made her constipated in past. AND she did vomit the other day, but could have been from drinking lots of H2O at once. Any ideas or suggestions?!?!??!?!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: GERD, Licking

I'm sorry..I don't know much about food..but I will tag a few people to help you!
    @cowsmom.. @Sherry.. @2BullyMama....

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Poor baby! The paw licking is most likely because of yeast. The food could have initially triggered the yeast and now that she has it when she continuously licks her paws they stay moist and germy. Perfect place to live if you are yeast! Yeast is very itchy so that's why they lick. Sometimes a rash on other parts of the body can cause paw licking too, if they can teach it to itch it the paw licking helps sooth the need.

Finding the right food can help this and even cure it but it's always better to help the situation too and not wait for food change results to kill the yeast. Using topical antifungals and antibacterials is good place to start.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

HRH is an Air, paw, licking maniac too. She goes through spells sometimes she is really bad, sometimes better. Evenings are usually the worst times. I've gotten her cleared up at times of the stains on her paws because of it but it is an ongoing battle. I think for her it is an OCD compulsion at times too. We also give her a tums in the evenings when she's really going at it because it does seem to help. But @desertskybulldogs is right that yeast or an itch is a likely culprit too. We've noticed it being better or worse depending on what she's eaten.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like she has heartburn. You could try Pepsid or something like that and see if it helps.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Environmental allergies..... my boy did a lot of what you mention and it was realated to his grass/weeds allergy. Wipe the paws, keep the clean after being outside and give Benedryl as needed 1mg per pound up to 3x a day. The licking of the air, to me seemed to be out of bordom or just plain tired.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

a couple things can cause the paw licking, just as a few things can cure it. If his feet are red it's probably yeast, if the fur is licked off, it's probably allergies to grass, environmental. If it's something he's always done, OCD

Theres products out there to alleviate the conditions and causes.
    Jack licks and chews on his paws cause they itch from grass allergies. I use a product I found on Amazon "Douxo Seborrhea Mouse" with (phytoshingosine, like I know what that is?) anyhow, it works , he stops licking and chewing but it's got to be applied twice daily. the hair is growing back too

Theres also a recipe for pickled feet (with vinegar) on this site .
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Remove Ads