GERD, Licking

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
8yo bully on California Natural Kangaroo. Seems to be licking paws, couch, does the licking of air. Also seems to have GERD, burps and then seems to "chew" after the burp.. she's ALWAYS had food allergies, reason she's now on Roo.. has gone thru the whole protein line of Natural Balance and California Natural.. Could the licking be boredom????? She's good weight, slowing down in her old age, but still has bursts of p and vinegar. BMs with the roo have been very good. Pumpkin has made her constipated in past. AND she did vomit the other day, but could have been from drinking lots of H2O at once. Any ideas or suggestions?!?!??!?!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm sorry..I don't know much about food..but I will tag a few people to help you!
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION].. [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]....

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Poor baby! The paw licking is most likely because of yeast. The food could have initially triggered the yeast and now that she has it when she continuously licks her paws they stay moist and germy. Perfect place to live if you are yeast! Yeast is very itchy so that's why they lick. Sometimes a rash on other parts of the body can cause paw licking too, if they can teach it to itch it the paw licking helps sooth the need.

Finding the right food can help this and even cure it but it's always better to help the situation too and not wait for food change results to kill the yeast. Using topical antifungals and antibacterials is good place to start.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH is an Air, paw, licking maniac too. She goes through spells sometimes she is really bad, sometimes better. Evenings are usually the worst times. I've gotten her cleared up at times of the stains on her paws because of it but it is an ongoing battle. I think for her it is an OCD compulsion at times too. We also give her a tums in the evenings when she's really going at it because it does seem to help. But [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] is right that yeast or an itch is a likely culprit too. We've noticed it being better or worse depending on what she's eaten.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Sounds like she has heartburn. You could try Pepsid or something like that and see if it helps.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Environmental allergies..... my boy did a lot of what you mention and it was realated to his grass/weeds allergy. Wipe the paws, keep the clean after being outside and give Benedryl as needed 1mg per pound up to 3x a day. The licking of the air, to me seemed to be out of bordom or just plain tired.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
a couple things can cause the paw licking, just as a few things can cure it. If his feet are red it's probably yeast, if the fur is licked off, it's probably allergies to grass, environmental. If it's something he's always done, OCD

Theres products out there to alleviate the conditions and causes.
Jack licks and chews on his paws cause they itch from grass allergies. I use a product I found on Amazon "Douxo Seborrhea Mouse" with (phytoshingosine, like I know what that is?) anyhow, it works , he stops licking and chewing but it's got to be applied twice daily. the hair is growing back too

Theres also a recipe for pickled feet (with vinegar) on this site .

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.