Feisty bulldog hated ear drops...help! Ideas??

nmejia024

Jan 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
King
Hello!

my 2 year old bully has pretty bad yeast on both ears but mostly in the right one. I took him to the vet where the vet prescribed ear drops that contain vinegar to put in both ears. Every time I try my bully (King) runs away and refuses. He absolutely hates it! I have been able to sneak up on him and do a couple of drops, but I swear he gets mad at me. I have to laugh at time...

any ideas on what to do? Any way to get him to take the drops for yeast so that he doesn't freak?

THANK YOU!!!

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Brie freaks too. She had 2 nasty yeast infections bak to back. She runs if she even sees the ear wash bottle. Then, after I manage to clean her ears she turns her back on me. I go to kiss her face n she turns her face away..lol. Maybe give him a treat with the ear drops? I know staying calm is helpful even tho it is hard sometimes.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
OK here is what I do.... when I have to use ear drops, I sit/straddle on him while he is laying down, not full weight, just enough to hold him still lol. That way he can't move and I can put the drops in and massage under his ears real good to get the drops down deep. Of course he goes nuts afterwards and rubs his ears all over my area rug, that is why I sit on him and massage under his ears to make sure they go in deep. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I am absolutely no help here Sheldon stands there and lets me put the ear flush the vet gave me in his ears....but I would probably do what [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] does if Sheldon forced me to.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I do what pretty much what [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] does when I do catch her..lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I do the same thing that [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] does... kind of sit/straddle and have your treats nearby for a quick good boy

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Both mine hate having their ears done too it always a struggle but definately have a nice big treat near by

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
OK here is what I do.... when I have to use ear drops, I sit/straddle on him while he is laying down, not full weight, just enough to hold him still lol. That way he can't move and I can put the drops in and massage under his ears real good to get the drops down deep. Of course he goes nuts afterwards and rubs his ears all over my area rug, that is why I sit on him and massage under his ears to make sure they go in deep. Good Luck.

Good luck is right. I have had to in the past put drops in Ace's ears. OMG. Getting them in is hard enough, massaging it in is the proper thing to do but wow. Once in off he goes shaking his head and rubbing on everything he can to shake and get it out. We are trying to help dont they get it? And once treated and smelling those drops anytime you get the drops out to treat again and off to the races. They don't want them in their ears. These nutty bulldogs will drive one crazy. "Hold still dammit, I'm trying to make you feel better" I love these dogs but they can make it so complicated at times

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog

I think this is what I will have to start doing with Petunia...she runs off everytime she sees the bottle of ear wash...I have never seen a bulldog run so fast! She runs off anywhere where it is a tight space. Smart girl. :retreat:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I've been going thru this with Bo. Here's how I thwarted his efforts to avoid those terrible healing ear drops.

High value treat. REALLY high value. Lunch meat is the top of the heap for Bo.
I pretend to put them in a rub rub rub those ears like mad. He loves that rubbing. I also make a BOOP noise and say "good boy" after each boop.
When I'm done faking him out for a bit, I put the drops in (Boop!) and continue to rub like mad and then give him the high value treat. The wet sensation in his ears is now associated with lunch meat. LOL
Yesterday, he even came TO ME for the drops. Since he only needs them for five days in a row, we are done today.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.