Thread: Help with weight control?

Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Help with weight control?

Raven loves all veggies. I normally buy bags of frozen veggies for when I make stir fry and I also get the bags of frozen peas, carrots, and corn mixed. So all in all miss thing eats: baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, snap peas, corn, zuccini, cucumbers, lettuce. I also give her pieces of fruits with her plain yogurt and sometimes some cottage cheese. Normally I give her the veggies with her dinner time. She is not a big eater in the morning so I usually give her some yogurt or cottage cheese with some fruit then.
    Last edited by Bizzymammabee; 08-14-2013 at 04:37 PM.
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzymammabee View Post
    Raven loves all veggies. I normally buy bags of frozen veggies for when I make stir fry and I also get the bags of frozen peas, carrots, and corn mixed. So all in all miss thing eats: baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, snap peas, corn, zuccini, cucumbers, lettuce. I also give her pieces of fruits with her plain yogurt and sometimes some cottage cheese.
    I didn't know she could have all that! Ok..so I will add lots of mixed veggies in w her dinner. I'll switch the blueberries and bananas to her breakfast w her yogurt n salmon oil.

Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)

When I make a salad with dinner I sometimes put a little salad in a side bowl for her..my husband laughs at me and how I spoil her. That is why when she eats around the kibble and I get worried he tells me it's kind of my fault...why should she want kibble, no matter how expensive, when she thinks she should have "good tasting extras"
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

she isn't fat. she's 8 months old and still growing, worry when she's about 2 and if she has other issue's , like getting up , that's a problem , or if she's more round then shaped. don't stress it yet. enjoy
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    she isn't fat. she's 8 months old and still growing, worry when she's about 2 and if she has other issue's , like getting up , that's a problem , or if she's more round then shaped. don't stress it yet. enjoy
    That seems to be the insight I'm getting from everyone here. I understand precautionary measures n all, but I also want to feed her enough at 8 months old!
    Last edited by Lisabear123; 08-14-2013 at 10:09 PM.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Good Lord... Winston is 8 mos old today & I know he weighs at least 40 pounds!!! He's huge... I don't think Brie looks fat at all. I'm not worrying about Winston yet, he's still a wee babe... Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

PICS agree, she doesn't look fat and since she is still growing I would not cut back on her food just yet, wait until she gets a little closer to a year old and then see how she is, and then if you need to cut back a little it would just be by a 1/4 cup a day.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Amy's vet suggested we cut her back a bit too when she was in last week for her spay. She's 5 months and 32 lbs. I thought she looked plenty trim, but he said "inside" there is already plenty of "puppy" fat.

And because of her hips it would be better if she is a little underweight. I voiced my concern that if we put her on a "diet" while she's still developing that we could impede bone growth and what she needs to hopefully compensate for the hip issues naturally. He told us to keep her on puppy food until she's 10 or 11 months old (fromm pink bag is what she gets), but to just cut back on the amount. She was getting 1 cup 3 X per day. We've cut her back to 2/3 cup 3X a day plus a little bit that at most equals half a cup that we use as treats. And he sent us home with vitamins to supplement less food. So she still gets the vitamins and nutrients a growing puppy needs without the extra calories and fat.

She looks much thinner than those pics of Brie, but I think partly that is because she's so sleek black, so like most of us look thinner in black so does she.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

Lol my rolly pollie Fergus is 47 lbs at 9 months vet say he looks great. I think Brie looks good from the pix

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Just keep in mind....the trimmer you can keep them the better for their health. Those pictures for 8 months look fine to me...but as she gets older you will want to see a more defined waist.

The trimmer you can keep her now as a puppy...the better. It's harder to get the weight off them when they are older.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads