Swollen eye

mrslee52805

Aug 12, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bull Dozer, penny
Our 5 month old Penny has had this happen to her three times in the month we have had her. The white in the corner of her eye closest to her nose swells as its just a normal pink. I have done some research and it dosent look like cherry eye it looks like her third eye lid is just swollen. I've read it's normal. It happens when she plays hard with our valley bulldog who is 2. It dosent bother her and if you calm her down it goes away within an hour or two. Has anyone had this happen?

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I would get it check out by a vet
Shy had a third eyelid thorn (we couldn't see it) it all went swollen -she had to had an eye drops

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Could also be allergies? Or maybe similar to when a person works out and they get red? I haven't noticed it on Brie after play, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged a few users with eye issue experience... hopefully they will have some insight. if possible, post a picture next time it happens,

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi , my female Blossom had this happen to her as well when she turned 5 months old, butbitvturned out to be cherry eye, we had it surgically repaired at the same time as her spay surgery, but then a week after surgery the other eye developed cherry eye as well and we had to have a second surgery a month later. Without a picture to see what the swelling looks like, I can't tell you if it looks like Cherry eye or not. Hopefully it's not, and it's just an allergy or irritation. My male Dozer always gets red eyes after p,aging hard, or running around, but there is no swelling, just the whites of his eyes get red, and it goes away after he has rested. How long has Penny been getting this? Keep an eye on it, and the next time she gets it, take a picture on your cell phone and next time you see your vet show the picture and ask what it is. Please keep us posted.

here is pics of her cherry eye, and after her surgery

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    700.2 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    616.4 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Loki's whites get red after hard play as well but I haven't ever notice swelling in them after play j would have it checked out to make sure it isn't a mild case of cherry eye

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Our 5 month old Penny has had this happen to her three times in the month we have had her. The white in the corner of her eye closest to her nose swells as its just a normal pink. I have done some research and it dosent look like cherry eye it looks like her third eye lid is just swollen. I've read it's normal. It happens when she plays hard with our valley bulldog who is 2. It dosent bother her and if you calm her down it goes away within an hour or two. Has anyone had this happen?

Brutus had this. It sounds like early cherry eye. It will eventually pop out. When it first happens you can usually massage it back in. Gently apply slight pressure under the eye and then over the swollen area and massage until it is back in place. If it keeps coming out eventually it will stay out. Brutus had two eye surgeries for this in both eyes. All is well now. It did usually come out after strenuous play.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.