Puppy with one bowed leg

TX Bully Lover

Aug 7, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
PorkChop
I'll probably be heading to the vet tomorrow, but thought maybe someone has experienced this before. One of little Porkchop's legs has become bowed and it trembles when he puts weight on it. It doesn't seem inflamed, he can walk/run normally, and it probably isn't painful as he doesn't mind if I touch it. After doing some research it really seems like it may be carpal flexural deformity. Has anybody had any experience with this or has any other ideas?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear this! I don't have experience with this condition but hopefully someone will come on board soon to give you some input. Might be a good idea to keep Porkchop in his crate today so he doesn't aggravate the problem further.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I don't have any experience with this either, but will be hoping for the best.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
​No experience with this either but please keep us informed. Praying over him & y'all.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Poor sweetie!! Can you post a photo so we can get a clear idea of your description?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
T

TX Bully Lover

Aug 7, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
PorkChop
Well after $185 worth of X-Rays and consult fees the verdict was to cut down on the amount of protein he was getting. Ironically, I was told this was being caused by a combination of food that was too rich along with a large growth spurt. Basically his ligaments/muscle growth wasn't keeping up with the bone growth in his leg, possibly because we have all hardwood floors and the dog doesn't get to exercise the necessary tendons when on a surface they can't grip. So we started mixing some diet dog food in with his Fromm's, added a throw rug for him to run around on, and a week later his leg is already getting better.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well after $185 worth of X-Rays and consult fees the verdict was to cut down on the amount of protein he was getting. Ironically, I was told this was being caused by a combination of food that was too rich along with a large growth spurt. Basically his ligaments/muscle growth wasn't keeping up with the bone growth in his leg, possibly because we have all hardwood floors and the dog doesn't get to exercise the necessary tendons when on a surface they can't grip. So we started mixing some diet dog food in with his Fromm's, added a throw rug for him to run around on, and a week later his leg is already getting better.

great news.... thanks for the update

B

Baxter Tiberius

[MENTION=9561]TX Bully Lover[/MENTION]
I am amazed how identical your situation is to mine!
Im starting to wonder if we got a bulldog from the same breeder! Was yours from south america too?
Baxter also has the trembling front leg. I googled it though right away and found that its totally normal, and like your vet said, from growth spurts and physical changes.
It will pass.
I also have hard floors like you guys, have a puppy near the same age, same gas, same naughty behavior, poop problems, body odor, etc LOL ...
I sent you a PM so we can compare notes as this all transpires.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.