Help Needed! Harlea Before and After Limp - diagnosed as Panosteitis (Growing pains)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Thank you. We were planning on switching her to Pork and Peas at around 6 months which my other dog is on now.

That's what we are feeding, I'm very happy with the results and the bully's are too

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Well.. I think we hit a milestone. She is now walking about 70% of normal on carpet and grass. She is still a bit unsure and unstable on the wood floors but is getting better. She is starting to play a little more as well.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thanks for your update, it's reassuring to hear, we all love your sweet cute patootie...
and all y'all...GOD continue to bless your family. Lots of twists & turns lately but HE's
got your backs!
:heart:

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
So sorry that little Harlea is in pain! Sending positive thoughts your way for a speedy recovery :hug:

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Day 4 Update... After the milestone of last night Harlea woke up in a playful mood this morning. Which is a far cry from the past few days. She is walking about 75% of normal on carpet and grass and about 60% when she is on the wood floors. I don't blame her for being cautious. You can still see that she is limping a bit but it is much better than the past few days. The Harlea no's have returned in full force as she is starting to get back in to her eat the kitty brudder mode and following him under our bed and nipping at feet and such. It makes me happy to see her starting to get back to her normal self again.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Good morning, Todd! It's encouraging to hear that Harlea is IMPROVING!! it will only get better and better as the days go by. I've never even heard of "growing pains"...it sounds so innocent yet it's really quite serious. Thank you for sharing Harlea's (and your) experience with this as I know it's helped me to be more aware of it. Looking forward to hearing how she's getting better and better so please keep updating us.:hug:

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
It is hard to see your baby go from playful and spunky to pretty much motionless over night. It is painful knowing you can't do anything for them but continue to love them and make them as comfortable as they can be. Below is a video of Harlea playing with the water hose on Thursday night a few hours before her bed time. As you will see she is being a normal bully baby having fun.

The picture below is from Friday morning after she had gone to the vet as she developed a limp overnight that was diagnosed as Panosteitis (Growing pains). It is a condition that is seen more frequently in large breed dogs but any puppy can get it. It is basically inflammation of the long bone in the affected leg and irritation of the nerves in the area making it painful to put weight on it. Diagnosis is my by palpation of the area and x-rays that can show increased density in the affected bone. It usually clears up in a few days to a week or longer, but in some cases it can move from leg to leg before it is done with chances of recurrence being possible up until 2 years of age. There is no cure all for this and you can only provide comfort/pain relief with medications and try to keep them as calm as possible to let it run it's course.

Friday:
View attachment 52095

As you can see in the above picture she is extending her right hind leg to keep pressure off of it. She is also pretty doped up on her meds as well.

Saturday:

View attachment 52096

The above picture here was taken yesterday afternoon. Due to the meds and pain she just wants to lie around and you can obviously tell she is not her normal self.

All is not lost though. Last night she started to put a little more weight on it so here is to hoping she is starting to feel better. I miss playing with my Harlea Bug.....

Poor baby :( Loki has growing pains but they never lasted for more then a day. The hedgehog will make her feel better Loki has one too :) Hugs and slobbery kisses to you all

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
[MENTION=9403]Lokismom[/MENTION] Thank you. She is doing much better today and is almost back to being herself. She does love her hedgehog. She has 5 of them and 3 sheepies.

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Day 5 update. Harlea is about 90% back to normal now. Last night she was pretty much back to herself romping and playing. even her nightly 8pm spaz mode returned yet it was a little less intense as it has been but better none the less. This morning she got up went potty and ate breakfast without issue. She still has a bit of a limp but it is almost gone now and has improved 10 fold between yesterday morning and this morning.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thrilling news! Thanks for keeping us informed. Brutus suddenly developed
a limp out of the blue and rapidly progressed. I determined it seemed to be
a strain or bruised tissue and vet said crate, rest & see if it got better. As the
week progressed he slowly did improve and never had a problem again. It was
scary and as you say, hurts so badly seeing them in pain & impaired. GOD bless!

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Day 5 update. Harlea is about 90% back to normal now. Last night she was pretty much back to herself romping and playing. even her nightly 8pm spaz mode returned yet it was a little less intense as it has been but better none the less. This morning she got up went potty and ate breakfast without issue. She still has a bit of a limp but it is almost gone now and has improved 10 fold between yesterday morning and this morning.

That is wonderful news! I'm sure you are both so relieved to see a bit more of Harlea coming back out! How are you holding up?

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
[MENTION=9236]Lisabear123[/MENTION] I am holding up pretty good. Getting better actually. I am just glad she is getting better as it sucked seeing her like she was.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.