Help Needed! Harlea Before and After Limp - diagnosed as Panosteitis (Growing pains)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
What food are you feeding him. I have always heard too high of a protein food for a growing pup can cause this. Don't know it there is any truth to it, but just curious what the protein amount is in his food. We feed FROMM Puppy Gold which had 27% protein. Our adult bullies and one of the pups who got tired of the puppy food eat FROMM Pork and Peas which has 29% protein.

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] she is on the Fromm puppy gold pink bag. She will be switching to Pork and Peas in another few months which is what my other dog is eating. The vet said too much protein could possibly comtribute to the issue but there has been no conclusive evidence to definitively say that is indeed the case.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Sending good thoughts your way for Harleas improvement! It must be so hard to see her limping like that but I hope she's up and around soon! She's gorgeous!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You have him on a great food, and ours love the Pork and Peas and are doing well on it. Hope you baby gets to feeling better soon.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
So sad to read your post especially that the limping happened so quickly at such young age
I wish your girl speedy recovery ,im sorry i cant be more help but i never experienced anything like this before xx

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I watched your video, I seen where the (injury/pain) began. It's on a sharp turn. I hate to say this, but I have never encouraged my bully's to run, they do that on their own when someone walks down the street or when playing together. A sharp turn like in your video can cause damage, tear's or just pain. Some even become injured just going down the steps, jumping out of the car or off the furniture.
This is something else to consider with a young bulldog. Please don't think I'm being mean or hardball, this is just what I know from experience .
Hope she feels better in no time at all. :blush2:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh Todd, I'm so sorry for poor Harlea... I had NO idea that dogs could have growing pains. That's so crazy... Well I hope that she feels better soon :heartsign:

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I watched your video, I seen where the (injury/pain) began. It's on a sharp turn. I hate to say this, but I have never encouraged my bully's to run, they do that on their own when someone walks down the street or when playing together. A sharp turn like in your video can cause damage, tear's or just pain. Some even become injured just going down the steps, jumping out of the car or off the furniture.
This is something else to consider with a young bulldog. Please don't think I'm being mean or hardball, this is just what I know from experience .
Hope she feels better in no time at all. :blush2:

No offense taken. I thought the same thing after watching the video. However when i saw the x-rays you can definitely see the difference in bone density between her left and right leg. It wouldn't suprise me that the quick spin is what set it off or any other momnet she was runnimg around during her nightly spaz attack.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No offense taken. I thought the same thing after watching the video. However when i saw the x-rays you can definitely see the difference in bone density between her left and right leg. It wouldn't suprise me that the quick spin is what set it off or any other momnet she was runnimg around during her nightly spaz attack.

Exactly and they do have puppy spaz attacks regularly, like clock work . Sorry for you delma , it stinks when something is wrong with our baby's , and having bully's you can count on something going ari. Watching to see how things go with your sweet girl

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] I do have a question though. I noticed since she started limping on that right side she kind of turns out her right front paw for additional balance. At least that why I think she is doing it but doesn't do it all the time though. Is that normal? When they did xrays they did all her legs and the only one that showed additional density was the right hind leg. I am just hoping that this issue doesn't lead to anything permanent with her right front.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@Sherry I do have a question though. I noticed since she started limping on that right side she kind of turns out her right front paw for additional balance. At least that why I think she is doing it but doesn't do it all the time though. Is that normal? When they did xrays they did all her legs and the only one that showed additional density was the right hind leg. I am just hoping that this issue doesn't lead to anything permanent with her right front.

Probably so, because she does need to support her weight. Often times a secondary issue will turn up because compensating for the first problem. Your vet's right about the joints in these guy's that's why around 5 to 6 months it's a good idea to switch to a food with less calcium , calories and protein. an adult food for large breed, I think small breed food is higher in cal's because they burn it off. but I'm not 100% sure

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Probably so, because she does need to support her weight. Often times a secondary issue will turn up because compensating for the first problem. Your vet's right about the joints in these guy's that's why around 5 to 6 months it's a good idea to switch to a food with less calcium , calories and protein. an adult food for large breed, I think small breed food is higher in cal's because they burn it off. but I'm not 100% sure
Thank you. We were planning on switching her to Pork and Peas at around 6 months which my other dog is on now.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.