Help Needed! Harlea Before and After Limp - diagnosed as Panosteitis (Growing pains)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
It is hard to see your baby go from playful and spunky to pretty much motionless over night. It is painful knowing you can't do anything for them but continue to love them and make them as comfortable as they can be. Below is a video of Harlea playing with the water hose on Thursday night a few hours before her bed time. As you will see she is being a normal bully baby having fun.

The picture below is from Friday morning after she had gone to the vet as she developed a limp overnight that was diagnosed as Panosteitis (Growing pains). It is a condition that is seen more frequently in large breed dogs but any puppy can get it. It is basically inflammation of the long bone in the affected leg and irritation of the nerves in the area making it painful to put weight on it. Diagnosis is my by palpation of the area and x-rays that can show increased density in the affected bone. It usually clears up in a few days to a week or longer, but in some cases it can move from leg to leg before it is done with chances of recurrence being possible up until 2 years of age. There is no cure all for this and you can only provide comfort/pain relief with medications and try to keep them as calm as possible to let it run it's course.

Friday:
20130809_200633.jpg

As you can see in the above picture she is extending her right hind leg to keep pressure off of it. She is also pretty doped up on her meds as well.

Saturday:

20130810_082705.jpg

The above picture here was taken yesterday afternoon. Due to the meds and pain she just wants to lie around and you can obviously tell she is not her normal self.

All is not lost though. Last night she started to put a little more weight on it so here is to hoping she is starting to feel better. I miss playing with my Harlea Bug.....

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Re: Harlea Before and After Limp

Awww. Thank goodness she has a loving family who's taking good care of her. She'll be back to her crazy self in no time, once the ouchies heal.

Bea also had a limp for a time but I believe it was from Bo knocking her down the steps. LOL Still, she does act kinda "stiff" when she firsts gets up and out of bed. She's vastly improved over what she used to be -- always acting like her joints hurt. She's only three. The Regenex liquid that I put in her food makes all the difference. As my friend said, "Bea is a new dog." [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] gives it to her gang too. Something to think about when she's outgrown her growing pains, perhaps?

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22

Definitely something to consider. She also gets HardyPet Complete which has bone and joint stuff in it but I am waiting on my shipment to show up as I thought I had enough but I ran out and forgot to order it. :(

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie

Awww she is just precious! She will romp again, n soon, just hang in there! Keep sharing your experiences day to day or even moment to moment, it is important you get those feelings out and we are here or you so you just keep those thoughts, videos, pics etc coming!

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22

Awww she is just precious! She will romp again, n soon, just hang in there! Keep sharing your experiences day to day or even moment to moment, it is important you get those feelings out and we are here or you so you just keep those thoughts, videos, pics etc coming!

I know right. I iust hope by posting as we are going through this it helps someone eles in the future so they don't freak out like we did. I just took her out to potty and she walked to get a drink the walked bak to the yard to go potty. She used her leg most of the way. Limping but still a bit better than yesterday where she hardly used it at all.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie

I know right. I iust hope by posting as we are going through this it helps someone eles in the future so they don't freak out like we did. I just took her out to potty and she walked to get a drink the walked bak to the yard to go potty. She used her leg most of the way. Limping but still a bit better than yesterday where she hardly used it at all.

It will def lo others! No to mention getting I off your chest helps you. I'm so glad she can put more pressure on it..baby steps..she is getting there!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack

Todd, I'm so sorry Harlea is going through this. Growing pains are very serious. What meds do they have her on? Are her joints and jaw hot to the touch? Jack almost died 2 years ago from growing too fast. He was diagnosed with Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy (HOD) = rapid bone growth when he was 6 months old. He'd always been hot to the touch when we rescued him and I always knew something was off with him. One morning he nearly collasped cause he couldn't walk and was so hot. He was literally lame and couldn't walk. Although he had been functioning, the severity of it came on pretty fast. His temp was 105.6 if I recall. After 5 days in the hospital (4 of those on a feeding tube), he finally came home. He was first on a pain killer when he came home (can't recall the name right now) and then Predisone. He had serveral relaspes for the following year while he was still growing. He had one relaspe so bad right after he was initially diagnosed I had to rush him back in to the vet for him to get a shot of predisone. Here's his story. Jack's at the Vet

She will get better but it sure is hard watching your baby suffering that's for sure. :hug: :hug:

I'm going to move this to the health section as I feel it'll be more benificial for you and Harlea as well as others.

Last edited:
OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] Thanks for the move. Harlea is on 1/4 pill of Tarmadol for pain and 1/2 pill of Rimadyl 2 to 3 times a day as needed. Her temp is normal and there is minimal swelling and her joints are not warm to the touch.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] That's good to hear. I just looked back and Jack's records and that's what he was on too initially. When he did have his relapses the Predisone was a miracle drug and worked in a matter of 2-4 hours. It's a scary thing to go through that's for sure and both diseases are quite painful for them.

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] That's good to hear. I just looked back and Jack's records and that's what he was on too initially. When he did have his relapses the Predisone was a miracle drug and worked in a matter of 2-4 hours. It's a scary thing to go through that's for sure and both diseases are quite painful for them.
It is definitely scary. Go to bed fine and wake up and can't walk. She is maling progress today though. I gave her the meds about 30 minutes ago and instead of going to sleep like the past few days she is starting to walk around a bit more and play some. Even a few Harlea No's have returned. :)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It's very scary cause we don't know what's wrong in the beginning. With Jack they thought he had leukemia at first. It wasn't until we got him over to a special emergency vet (at our vet's direction) that they were able to diagnose him. Harlea will be back to normal in no time luckily. Doesn't make it any easier though that's for sure.

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I am going to try and get a video next time we go outside so people can see that other than the limp there are no other signs of an issue.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I knew this was possible, but never experienced with any of our pups. Hugs to you and Harlea, hope this passes quickly

chipw

Aug 2, 2013
Clovis, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
Such a cutie, she'll be up and running after the garden hose before you know it and then you won't be able to slow her down.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online