Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harlea Before and After Limp - diagnosed as Panosteitis (Growing pains)

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Harlea Before and After Limp - diagnosed as Panosteitis (Growing pains)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    I watched your video, I seen where the (injury/pain) began. It's on a sharp turn. I hate to say this, but I have never encouraged my bully's to run, they do that on their own when someone walks down the street or when playing together. A sharp turn like in your video can cause damage, tear's or just pain. Some even become injured just going down the steps, jumping out of the car or off the furniture.
    This is something else to consider with a young bulldog. Please don't think I'm being mean or hardball, this is just what I know from experience .
    Hope she feels better in no time at all.
    No offense taken. I thought the same thing after watching the video. However when i saw the x-rays you can definitely see the difference in bone density between her left and right leg. It wouldn't suprise me that the quick spin is what set it off or any other momnet she was runnimg around during her nightly spaz attack.
    Last edited by Marine91; 08-11-2013 at 07:45 PM.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Harlea Before and After Limp - diagnosed as Panosteitis (Growing pains)

Quote Originally Posted by Marine91 View Post
    No offense taken. I thought the same thing after watching the video. However when i saw the x-rays you can definitely see the difference in bone density between her left and right leg. It wouldn't suprise me that the quick spin is what set it off or any other momnet she was runnimg around during her nightly spaz attack.

Exactly and they do have puppy spaz attacks regularly, like clock work . Sorry for you delma , it stinks when something is wrong with our baby's , and having bully's you can count on something going ari. Watching to see how things go with your sweet girl
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@Sherry I do have a question though. I noticed since she started limping on that right side she kind of turns out her right front paw for additional balance. At least that why I think she is doing it but doesn't do it all the time though. Is that normal? When they did xrays they did all her legs and the only one that showed additional density was the right hind leg. I am just hoping that this issue doesn't lead to anything permanent with her right front.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@Sherry I do have a question though. I noticed since she started limping on that right side she kind of turns out her right front paw for additional balance. At least that why I think she is doing it but doesn't do it all the time though. Is that normal? When they did xrays they did all her legs and the only one that showed additional density was the right hind leg. I am just hoping that this issue doesn't lead to anything permanent with her right front.

Probably so, because she does need to support her weight. Often times a secondary issue will turn up because compensating for the first problem. Your vet's right about the joints in these guy's that's why around 5 to 6 months it's a good idea to switch to a food with less calcium , calories and protein. an adult food for large breed, I think small breed food is higher in cal's because they burn it off. but I'm not 100% sure

Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    Probably so, because she does need to support her weight. Often times a secondary issue will turn up because compensating for the first problem. Your vet's right about the joints in these guy's that's why around 5 to 6 months it's a good idea to switch to a food with less calcium , calories and protein. an adult food for large breed, I think small breed food is higher in cal's because they burn it off. but I'm not 100% sure
    Thank you. We were planning on switching her to Pork and Peas at around 6 months which my other dog is on now.

Bulldog Walker Become a 4 Paw Member HTX Bully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Holly
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to hear hope Harlea gets better soon.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Thank you. We were planning on switching her to Pork and Peas at around 6 months which my other dog is on now.

That's what we are feeding, I'm very happy with the results and the bully's are too

Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Well.. I think we hit a milestone. She is now walking about 70% of normal on carpet and grass. She is still a bit unsure and unstable on the wood floors but is getting better. She is starting to play a little more as well.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for your update, it's reassuring to hear, we all love your sweet cute patootie...
    and all y'all...GOD continue to bless your family. Lots of twists & turns lately but HE's
    got your backs!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Real Name
    Cyndi
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mayhem
    Likes (Received)

So sorry that little Harlea is in pain! Sending positive thoughts your way for a speedy recovery

Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Day 4 Update... After the milestone of last night Harlea woke up in a playful mood this morning. Which is a far cry from the past few days. She is walking about 75% of normal on carpet and grass and about 60% when she is on the wood floors. I don't blame her for being cautious. You can still see that she is limping a bit but it is much better than the past few days. The Harlea no's have returned in full force as she is starting to get back in to her eat the kitty brudder mode and following him under our bed and nipping at feet and such. It makes me happy to see her starting to get back to her normal self again.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Good morning, Todd! It's encouraging to hear that Harlea is IMPROVING!! it will only get better and better as the days go by. I've never even heard of "growing pains"...it sounds so innocent yet it's really quite serious. Thank you for sharing Harlea's (and your) experience with this as I know it's helped me to be more aware of it. Looking forward to hearing how she's getting better and better so please keep updating us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads