anxiety??

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
do any of your dogs have anxiety?? I'm thinking that maybee Ollie does. We took him to a friends for a cook out, this is the second time we've taken him to a friends house, he went thru exactly the same thing the last time as well. I cooled down the car packed up some things to take, and when the car was cool loaded the dog. As soon as he gets in the care he starts heavy breathing, panting, the car was cool so i know he wasn't hot. He did this the whole way except for the last five mins when he finally laid down in the passenger front floor. We got to the house let him do his business and there were prob 5 or 6 people inside plus their boxer, the dogs got introduced did fine but the whole time he's doing that panting heavy breathing thing. He walked around got some water made rounds to all the people but still doing the same thing. I took him outside for a few mins as there was shade and a cool breeze let him wander and sniff the yard, about 5-10mins i took him back in as he was still doing that got him to lay down but the whole time i was there he kept panting and breathing hard, we stayed long enough to eat and then I left, b/c he wouldn't stop and I was getting worried. We usually leave him home but our friends want us to watch their dog for a night so they wanted to see how they got along. Anyway the whole car ride home he was still doing that same thing, we walked in the door, he got a drink layed down and stopped!!! Do you think he could have anxiety or just overly excitied! He wasn't running jumping like he was way excitied but he wasn't wary like he was anxious. I'm just wondering if it could be a anxiety type thing? Poor guy had me worried!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I can imagine how worrisome that was. Our office dog, Hunter, pants and paces the office like that when his "mom" isn't in the office. He's 15; an old Golden Retriever. Part of my favorite work duties is to take Hunter out on my smoke breaks to potty. But I digress....

It will take practice for Ollie to get comfortable in strange places and the only way to do that is to practice by DOING IT. Why don't you go for more frequent - but shorter - trips places?

When it cools off, perhaps you could try a "Thundershirt" or some "Rescue Remedy" (I believe it's natural oils or something) to help calm him on these outtings?

I'm curious of the other dog was avoiding him. If he was genuinely in an anxious state, I would guess that the Boxer steered clear of Ollie in that case. Just curious.

When I first started taking Bea and Bo together in the car, at one year old, Bea was already a seasoned traveler. She gets in the rig and settles right down. When we get to our destination, she makes herself at home. She's been a great example for Bo -- who tends to be a bit more (LOL!!) excitable.

Keep practicing!

OP
jlcox24

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
I will have to start taking him more. I think even just for car rides to begin as it starts right in the car. The boxer once introduced didnt pay him much mind she came and sniffed him a few times but that was about it. Ive seen the calming stuff and will get some of that. Will he learn to be comfortable with that or will it just subdue his symptoms? Thanks!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I willa hve to start taking him more. I think even just for car rides to begin as it starts right in the car. The boxer once introduced didnt pay him much mind she came and sniffed him a few times but that was about it. Ive seen the calming stuff and will get some of that. Will he learn to be comfortable with that or will it just subdue his symptoms? Thanks!

I would never use anything like that for the long term. My hope is that it will just help him cope for now and with time and lots of super fun rides in the car (go get ice cream at Dairy Queen! Go swimming in a creek! Go get a plain cheeseburger at McD's) he'll get more acclimated to the car rides and traveling in general. You can't be anxious about his anxiousness either. When you are freaking out about his freaking out, he picks up on it and thinks, "There MUST be something to be anxious about because my pack leader is anxious!" Fun walks with new smells and people (if he's a people dog like mine) are the best treats -- and reasons for going on a road trip -- short or long.

I would also add this - know when it's time to stop. If he's having a great time, call it a day. Take him home and let him remember the last thing he did which was fun and enjoyable. Don't wait until he's starting to fade before taking him home. Make it a good time start to finish.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
You can't be anxious about his anxiousness either. When you are freaking out about his freaking out, he picks up on it and thinks, "There MUST be something to be anxious about because my pack leader is anxious!"

This part is SUPER important! I could almost feel how anxious you were in your first post. Relax and be calm. He will know the difference and you will see the difference.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Vicki has you covered.... Banks is like this in the car as well.... she HATES the car and we have to give her Xanax if going for a ride more than an hour. Then once we get there, we just give her space and time to settle in. she does not like being away from home, she is VERY much a home bully

OP
jlcox24

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Thanks guys!! I love this site for all u are so helpful and kind!

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I've always told people they never get to see what the real "at home and relaxed" Chumley is like. When people come over or if I Take him over someones house he is always panting and excited. He doesn't calm down until they leave or we go home. This sounds similar to what you describe. We had a party over my house a few weeks ago and I took him away from it because he's too excitable..at the end of it I brought GM back a d he was in the kitchen breathing heavy and panting and I heard two older women saying "that dog needs medication!"

OP
jlcox24

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
LOl, yes my husband is in the marine corps and one of the guys just came back from a yr in Japan, he really wants a bulldog! After seeing Ollie and hearing him he's like is he always this way cause that would get annoying! I said no he's not but my husband said if you think thats loud and annoying wait till he konks out and starts snoring!! I should refer him here if he is really serious about getting one beforehand! I should add that i'm not a social person, I don't like being around lots of people never have. Even though these are our friends some of the people I didn't know and like above you're prob right he prob did sense some of my anxiety and that prob didn't help! I guess there's work for both of us involved!!

Lkane0322

Nov 27, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
My dog has had the same anxiety so I can't really bring him anywhere. Its too stressful on me because he never relaxes and just pants. So he stays home a lot and just stays happy :)

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
I can imagine how worrisome that was. Our office dog, Hunter, pants and paces the office like that when his "mom" isn't in the office. He's 15; an old Golden Retriever. Part of my favorite work duties is to take Hunter out on my smoke breaks to potty. But I digress....

It will take practice for Ollie to get comfortable in strange places and the only way to do that is to practice by DOING IT. Why don't you go for more frequent - but shorter - trips places?

When it cools off, perhaps you could try a "Thundershirt" or some "Rescue Remedy" (I believe it's natural oils or something) to help calm him on these outtings?

I'm curious of the other dog was avoiding him. If he was genuinely in an anxious state, I would guess that the Boxer steered clear of Ollie in that case. Just curious.

When I first started taking Bea and Bo together in the car, at one year old, Bea was already a seasoned traveler. She gets in the rig and settles right down. When we get to our destination, she makes herself at home. She's been a great example for Bo -- who tends to be a bit more (LOL!!) excitable.

Keep practicing!

We noticed that Loki was having some anxiety issues heavy breathing, scared of people, not eating for fear we were going to leave him and noises. I bought him the Thundershirt last week and it is amazing how much it helped him out. He was still leery of people and sounds but he hasn't ran and hid like he did pre thundershirt. I would recommend it highly and actually did to the owner of the store next to my work as she has a bully too :eek:)

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
LOl, yes my husband is in the marine corps and one of the guys just came back from a yr in Japan, he really wants a bulldog! After seeing Ollie and hearing him he's like is he always this way cause that would get annoying! I said no he's not but my husband said if you think thats loud and annoying wait till he konks out and starts snoring!! I should refer him here if he is really serious about getting one beforehand! I should add that i'm not a social person, I don't like being around lots of people never have. Even though these are our friends some of the people I didn't know and like above you're prob right he prob did sense some of my anxiety and that prob didn't help! I guess there's work for both of us involved!!

If he is serious this is the best site to learn from we still would have gotten Loki even if we joined before but it would have helped to know what we know now :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.