URGENT!!! Hives?? Help

maggies mom

Aug 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
My baby has had allergy problems which have been controlled with 1/2 a temaril p every other day lately. Today I noticed she was looking redder than normal and noticed several welts on her belly and a few on her legs, she is very red about the eyes as well. I gave her an extra dose of the temaril p and a cool oatmeal bath hoping that will help. I'm not sure what else to do, the er vet clinic is in surgery right now and will be for several hours, I'm 9 months pregnant with twins and my husband is at work until tomorrow morning. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I don't know if this is something serious enough for me to drive to the other er clinic an hour away ? Otherwise she is acting normal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
YIKES!! had to google Temaril, is it possible you can give a whole one instead of 1/2??

OP
maggies mom

maggies mom

Aug 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
I did give her a whole, the max dose the vet had ever had me give her was two whole a day so I felt safe doing so, I'm keeping a close eye on her. Trying to attach a picture now.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I know it must be hard to do right now but try to stay calm. As long as she is not showing signs of any breathing problems or her throat isn't swelling up which could be a severe allergic rxn, continue to keep a close eye on her and see if the temaril dose will help. The ER vet must have another dr. on duty tho if you do need to take her in, right? Pls. keep us posted!!

OP
maggies mom

maggies mom

Aug 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
I know it must be hard to do right now but try to stay calm. As long as she is not showing signs of any breathing problems or her throat isn't swelling up which could be a severe allergic rxn, continue to keep a close eye on her and see if the temaril dose will help. The ER vet must have another dr. on duty tho if you do need to take her in, right? Pls. keep us posted!!
Thanks I'm trying to stay calm, it's hard I'm quite emotional lately and this is not helping! She is breathing fine, it does not seem to be getting worse thank god.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Yes, stay calm (for your benefit too) as they pick up on our distress.

The cool bath was a great help, I tend to stay away from oatmeal anything
as bullies (some) are sensitive to grains in any form. Have you used any new
household cleaners, bleached crate liner, etc...used weed killer in yard, etc
as it's on her belly/legs. Of course, it could be a bug bite too.

As long as she doesn't seem in distress, I wouldn't take her to ER, hives can take
3-4 days to resolve and she may get a few more before episode is over. If you
have cortisone cream or spray, you can rub on hives to help w/itchiness.

This happened to my bully, never did find the cause for certain, suspect poison ivy
found in yard afterwards but it was so scary...I could hardly type to EBN for help
so I understand and sympathize. Hang in there, Hun...it'll be alright and I'm praying
for y'all right now! GOD bless!!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Thanks I'm trying to stay calm, it's hard I'm quite emotional lately and this is not helping! She is breathing fine, it does not seem to be getting worse thank god.

You just hang in there hun, it doesn't look serious enough to run to the er . like the others said if she is breathing ok, you can relax. Think about how great it'll be when those twins arrive, huh huh? yea, that's gonna be a relief in of itself , everything's gonna be ok , post a pic of her face if you can.

OP
maggies mom

maggies mom

Aug 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
Thanks everyone, she is sleeping now and seems much better I'm wondering if she got bit by a bug or something. Ill call her regular vet when they opening Monday as long as it does not get any worse. I swear it's like I get one good healthy month and something happens with her poor thing! Here is what her face looks like now,
I don't know if you can tell her left eye is a bit puffy but much better looking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 134

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry... My bully has allergies too, and it is scary. Please keep us posted... Sending prayers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks everyone, she is sleeping now and seems much better I'm wondering if she got bit by a bug or something. Ill call her regular vet when they opening Monday as long as it does not get any worse. I swear it's like I get one good healthy month and something happens with her poor thing! Here is what her face looks like now,
I don't know if you can tell her left eye is a bit puffy but much better looking.

Banks gets like this here and there.... benedryl and wiping her off when she comes in from outside keeps it manageable.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Looking for an update on Maggie today. Benedryl works wonders to get rid of Loki's hives. we can't use oatmeal on him since it seems to make them worse again because of his allergies.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.