Another day, another skin problem - do I need to worry?

sowdie

May 27, 2010
MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
It's hard to tell because the picture is so small, but it looks exactly like what my vet referred to as pustules. Lola's had them a few times to date. Are there any bumps on Truman's back? usually we'd feel scab-like bumps on Lola's back, and when those scabs fell off they'd take patches of hair with them. If it's the same thing, an antibiotic should clear it up.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
my first gues would be that he is not agreeing with the dog food, either the type/brand
or flavor of meat. I am glad you caught it early. but if he is only a few months old he can still have the demadex in his system. many pups carry it form the mom. and only a skin biopsy will tell 100% sure. but that's way down the line. chances he is reacting to food is likely.
believe me if a dog is allergic to a food or meat -you can sometimes see the reactions to it sometimes before they get the food down!! what you are thinking of is a growing intolerance to a particular meat.(it comes form feeding the same protein(meat) over and over.for a long time. they then accrue an intolerance to that form of meat. that why they recommend changing around -within your brand of food every little bit to give variety. let me know what brand of food you are feeding. there are bulldogs that are so sensitive that you can take 2 brands of food. -made with the same ingredients(apparently on the bag)but the difference in HOW the two are made, makes the difference. Meaning usually the quality of the meat, and where it came from! get back to me.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
those are a indication of allergies, usually found between the toes.(which can be cleared up and kept at bay easily by drying well after baths or coming inside from wet grass, and a little gold bond powder )
but a change in the food will clear those up after the antibiotics.even tho they may be few and far between -- having the right food will prevent life long organ damage or chronich damage to the system after a few years and many vet bills. DO IT RIGHT FROM THe START, AND STAY OUT OF THE VETS!!!!
there is always a REASON WHY THE DOG IS DISPLAYING THE SYMPTOMS!!!!!

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I'm feeding him Nature's Variety Instinct formulas and have been rotating the proteins regularly since I started him on it. The last bag we just got rid of was the rabbit formula so I will see if the current bag (turkey and duck formula) clears it up.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
Oh thank you for the food type. good food OK but this is HOT SPOTS unless your dog was allergic to grains, switch to prairie, it will stop right away. this is often the case with high protein .
it is rare for dogs to be reactive to grains in GREAT food.because these foods usually only have the best part of grains and the minimal amount to keep from allergies reacting. besides. your bulldog will get to fat on this instinct, even the prairie is high enough protein.a half cup twice a day will keep a 72 pound bulldog in good shape. all of mine have gotten that amount, from a 56 lb to a 72 lber.
keep in touch, and let me know.in 4 weeks they should all be cleared up.that was easy.!!

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
A quick bump on this thread...I tried altering Truman's diet a bit and the spots didn't clear up and then I found two more so he's going in to the vet today. I'm pretty sure it's mange but a skin scrape will tell the tale. I'll take some pics and let you know how it turns out!

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
A quick bump on this thread...I tried altering Truman's diet a bit and the spots didn't clear up and then I found two more so he's going in to the vet today. I'm pretty sure it's mange but a skin scrape will tell the tale. I'll take some pics and let you know how it turns out!

remember that , s kin scrapings can and often come back a false negative, I personally would just set up the shots and dips , in the set of 3 - I believe. as I last recall. and get it over with. I had my first by come back negative 3 times before we did a biopsy and got it right. and it wasted a lot of time. good luck , keep in touch.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.