Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another day, another skin problem - do I need to worry?

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Another day, another skin problem - do I need to worry?

in that thread look at the pic i posted... if it has already spread to more than one area i would have it looked at and scrapped. when we took lex back the 2nd time for mange it cost about 55 dollars here at our vet. if it is mange the quicker you get it treated the less money you will be having to pay for it to get better. the longer you wait the more meds and or possibly dips "expensive".

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lexterwayne View Post
    in that thread look at the pic i posted... if it has already spread to more than one area i would have it looked at and scrapped. when we took lex back the 2nd time for mange it cost about 55 dollars here at our vet. if it is mange the quicker you get it treated the less money you will be having to pay for it to get better. the longer you wait the more meds and or possibly dips "expensive".
    Yeah, wise words...we waited a LONG time before we got Linus' mange checked out and, by that time, he had to have six dips and was a mess for about three months. Since we're on the Banfield health plan and get free doctor's visits, there's really no reason to not have it checked out just to see. I was not TOO worried about one spot but the second prompted my post.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Nikki
    Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
    Likes (Received)

It happens to Winston too, but it is definately his allergies. He usually gets hives first, but not always. When we adopted Layla, so much of her hair was missing...
    it would just fall out in clumps when you touched her. It turned out to be allergies too. Her previous owner said it started when she was 6 months old.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola
    Likes (Received)

It's hard to tell because the picture is so small, but it looks exactly like what my vet referred to as pustules. Lola's had them a few times to date. Are there any bumps on Truman's back? usually we'd feel scab-like bumps on Lola's back, and when those scabs fell off they'd take patches of hair with them. If it's the same thing, an antibiotic should clear it up.

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member Lindathedogsmaid's Avatar
    Real Name
    Linda Parks- 360 681 5089
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

my first gues would be that he is not agreeing with the dog food, either the type/brand
    or flavor of meat. I am glad you caught it early. but if he is only a few months old he can still have the demadex in his system. many pups carry it form the mom. and only a skin biopsy will tell 100% sure. but that's way down the line. chances he is reacting to food is likely.
    believe me if a dog is allergic to a food or meat -you can sometimes see the reactions to it sometimes before they get the food down!! what you are thinking of is a growing intolerance to a particular meat.(it comes form feeding the same protein(meat) over and over.for a long time. they then accrue an intolerance to that form of meat. that why they recommend changing around -within your brand of food every little bit to give variety. let me know what brand of food you are feeding. there are bulldogs that are so sensitive that you can take 2 brands of food. -made with the same ingredients(apparently on the bag)but the difference in HOW the two are made, makes the difference. Meaning usually the quality of the meat, and where it came from! get back to me.
    If you have a question regarding dog food, or behavior! call or e-mail me anytime.
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

Real Name
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

those are a indication of allergies, usually found between the toes.(which can be cleared up and kept at bay easily by drying well after baths or coming inside from wet grass, and a little gold bond powder )
    but a change in the food will clear those up after the antibiotics.even tho they may be few and far between -- having the right food will prevent life long organ damage or chronich damage to the system after a few years and many vet bills. DO IT RIGHT FROM THe START, AND STAY OUT OF THE VETS!!!!
    there is always a REASON WHY THE DOG IS DISPLAYING THE SYMPTOMS!!!!!
    If you have a question regarding dog food, or behavior! call or e-mail me anytime.
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

I'm feeding him Nature's Variety Instinct formulas and have been rotating the proteins regularly since I started him on it. The last bag we just got rid of was the rabbit formula so I will see if the current bag (turkey and duck formula) clears it up.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."

Real Name
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Oh thank you for the food type. good food OK but this is HOT SPOTS unless your dog was allergic to grains, switch to prairie, it will stop right away. this is often the case with high protein .
    it is rare for dogs to be reactive to grains in GREAT food.because these foods usually only have the best part of grains and the minimal amount to keep from allergies reacting. besides. your bulldog will get to fat on this instinct, even the prairie is high enough protein.a half cup twice a day will keep a 72 pound bulldog in good shape. all of mine have gotten that amount, from a 56 lb to a 72 lber.
    keep in touch, and let me know.in 4 weeks they should all be cleared up.that was easy.!!
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

A quick bump on this thread...I tried altering Truman's diet a bit and the spots didn't clear up and then I found two more so he's going in to the vet today. I'm pretty sure it's mange but a skin scrape will tell the tale. I'll take some pics and let you know how it turns out!

Real Name
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jillh10 View Post
    A quick bump on this thread...I tried altering Truman's diet a bit and the spots didn't clear up and then I found two more so he's going in to the vet today. I'm pretty sure it's mange but a skin scrape will tell the tale. I'll take some pics and let you know how it turns out!
    remember that , s kin scrapings can and often come back a false negative, I personally would just set up the shots and dips , in the set of 3 - I believe. as I last recall. and get it over with. I had my first by come back negative 3 times before we did a biopsy and got it right. and it wasted a lot of time. good luck , keep in touch.
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads