Another day, another skin problem - do I need to worry?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Two days ago, I noticed a little patch of hair on Truman's back was missing. I inspected the patch and it was just missing hair, maybe a little dry, but not otherwise inflamed or irritated. Today, I noticed another patch of thinning hair on his side, the skin around the hair loss is the same as the first patch.

He is not itching or seem bothered by the patches. They do not seem irritated, red, oozing, or otherwise open or inflamed. There is also no pattern to the patches, as I've seen in some other cases on the board.

I've been through a case of mange with Linus and I don't think it's that and, since he's only 6 months old, I'm pretty sure it's not an allergy because he hasn't really developed them yet.

I have a photo below. Does this look familiar with anyone? A coat "blowing," maybe just something innocuous? I've searched through other skin threads and haven't seen anything quite like this so any insight is appreciated.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Not sure here too. But Stig was only 5 months when we got him 2 months ago and we figured out recently that he's allergic to a lot of things. Mainly treats that's made with flour. The vet said that he has 'atopic' allergies where he's born with them rather than developing them over time. He also was diagnosed with mange, and it looked different from your pic. He was itchy, though, if he didn't take a benadryl.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Sorry but I'm no help either ... hopefully somebody else on here has seen something similar on their bullies??!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Just keep a close eye on it. If it grows at all, I would recommend taking to the vet. Yes, it could be a waste of money, so use your best judgement. Maybe he is starting to develop an allergy to something? The picture is kinda small, can you email it to me so I can get a better look-see? [email protected]

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Just keep a close eye on it. If it grows at all, I would recommend taking to the vet. Yes, it could be a waste of money, so use your best judgement. Maybe he is starting to develop an allergy to something? The picture is kinda small, can you email it to me so I can get a better look-see? [email protected]

Sure, somehow it shrunk when I put those red circles on to show the spots but I can e-mail a bigger one to you!

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
hmmm i am no help. The only time Georgia had patches missing was when she had hives but u can feel those....Has he been in a tussle of any kind?

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
hmmm i am no help. The only time Georgia had patches missing was when she had hives but u can feel those....Has he been in a tussle of any kind?

Why yes, he gets in a friendly tussle several times a day with a certain older brother of his...I was wondering if their horseplay was somehow linked to his missing fur?

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Its possible because Beefy has alot on his neck rolls and ears from him and Baby Joe....He also got a new one on his side where Georgia was hitting him with her paws today(she thinks she's a boxer lol)

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
in that thread look at the pic i posted... if it has already spread to more than one area i would have it looked at and scrapped. when we took lex back the 2nd time for mange it cost about 55 dollars here at our vet. if it is mange the quicker you get it treated the less money you will be having to pay for it to get better. the longer you wait the more meds and or possibly dips "expensive".

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
in that thread look at the pic i posted... if it has already spread to more than one area i would have it looked at and scrapped. when we took lex back the 2nd time for mange it cost about 55 dollars here at our vet. if it is mange the quicker you get it treated the less money you will be having to pay for it to get better. the longer you wait the more meds and or possibly dips "expensive".

Yeah, wise words...we waited a LONG time before we got Linus' mange checked out and, by that time, he had to have six dips and was a mess for about three months. Since we're on the Banfield health plan and get free doctor's visits, there's really no reason to not have it checked out just to see. I was not TOO worried about one spot but the second prompted my post.

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
It happens to Winston too, but it is definately his allergies. He usually gets hives first, but not always. When we adopted Layla, so much of her hair was missing...
it would just fall out in clumps when you touched her. It turned out to be allergies too. Her previous owner said it started when she was 6 months old.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.