English bulldog dying?! She's only 7 months :(

Simplyparis22

May 25, 2013
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball, Maddy, And Lulu
I have posted on here before about little lulu. My little angel that I rescued in Indiana! I had gotten her when she was just 6 weeks old. She was literally as big as my hand. I've had her ever since and she will now be 7 months. She's perfect, potty trained, and a good puppy. I have noticed that she is tiny! About the size of a Chihuahua to be exact. By that I also mean skinny. I go to a vet that is very reasonable on vaccinations but his office is run down which is why he is so cheap. I go to him for cheap vaccinations but never serious issues for my bullies. I took my baby lulu in to get checked out yet again for her skinniness. Before he told me bulldogs go through an akward phase and she would just be a smaller English bulldog. She only weighs 18 pounds at 7 months too. Now yesterday, he listens to her heart and tells me she has a ventricle that is opened and she will not live long. Infact she will stay tiny!!! He thinks this is also why she is so skinny. The nerve of him to tell me to put her down! When she shows no signs of even having a heart problem! He claimed opened heart surgery is an option but is a waste of money because it can be unsuccessful. He also claims that she has way too much of an overbite. And if we're lucky she'll make it to 3. I'm so heartbroken. I cried all last night. I am going to get a second opinion though. He was so harsh. This is the reason I only get vaccinations from this vet. He's misdiagnosed my sisters dog. However they did tell me lulu had a slight heart murmur but he told me she grew out of it. And now she has this?! He said there is no medications that will help! However keep in mind he did no X-rays, no bloodwork, and no tests. Just listened to her heart for a long time. What do I do? Where do I go from here? She's an English bulldog that is literally as big as a chihuahua. This is not normal! She's skinny! And I have pictures ill post. Please help. Especially if you've had this issue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 170

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG.... hold on, I'll tag some members that may have some insight with heart issue

OP
Simplyparis22

Simplyparis22

May 25, 2013
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
image.jpg This was her at 6 weeks old! When I first got her from the rescue in Indiana.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
I am so sorry this pr*ck was so harsh when he was talking about your baby! Tubby has a level 3 heart murmur so I know how crushing that could be. We had an ultra sound done o determine what exactly we were dealing with. They said it was something he could live with. I really do think you need a 2nd opinion. Could Lulu be a mini english bulldog?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Will be keeping this in prayer...sending hugs of strength, comfort & healing to you. :assurred:

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
Oh my! You definitely should get a second opinion from a more reputable vet. Maybe she's mixed with another breed that's why smaller? Idk just giving options. Hope you get some answers! God bless her little heart :drawheart:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh no, sweet little girl... yes I agree something is not right she is far too small... just seems odd that the vet is just now discovering this!! Pisses me off actually.

Please please go get a second opinion.... there may be more going on here. Do you have the contact info from where this puppy came from????

And be aware, rescueme.org has not been found to yet be a legit rescue.... so it could have been very likely this pup was already diagnosed with something and it was a breeder adopting her out knowing full well there was something wrong. Basically so far this website seems to be like a craigslist type of site.

OP
Simplyparis22

Simplyparis22

May 25, 2013
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the kindness. No lulu is purebred English bulldog nothing mixed. & yes I feel like there is bigger issues going on here. Lulu did not start looking like this bad until a few weeks ago. Also, the Indiana rescue was called small wonders. This is where breeders surrender dogs. I was skeptical because she was 6 weeks old not even fully weaned! My heart is breaking I have the smallest English bulldog in the world I'm sure of it. I've googled photos and no English bulldog is as small or thin as her. It must have been something gone wrong when they bred her parents. I actually rescued her mom as well! Her mom has showed no issues just allergies. I'm so confused. Doesn't anyone have a little English bulldog like little lulu?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so very sorry... I agree w/everyone, please get a second opinion. I can't believe that a vet would say something like that without doing a full work up on that baby. Please keep us posted...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thanks for the kindness. No lulu is purebred English bulldog nothing mixed. & yes I feel like there is bigger issues going on here. Lulu did not start looking like this bad until a few weeks ago. Also, the Indiana rescue was called small wonders. This is where breeders surrender dogs. I was skeptical because she was 6 weeks old not even fully weaned! My heart is breaking I have the smallest English bulldog in the world I'm sure of it. I've googled photos and no English bulldog is as small or thin as her. It must have been something gone wrong when they bred her parents. I actually rescued her mom as well! Her mom has showed no issues just allergies. I'm so confused. Doesn't anyone have a little English bulldog like little lulu?

Why would there be a place where breeders can surrender dogs? Dogs that can't be SOLD?!! Hmmm dogs w/pre-existing conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
My cat, Coco is 14 y/o, we found her in our yard one freezingly cold Oct night.
She looked to be about 8 weeks old and if we hadn't found her, I believe it was
her last night on earth. I took her in for baby shots, dewormed, etc. At 3 months
took her in for last shots & general checkup. Vet examined her gums and said she
probably would not live very long due to 'whatever it is he thought'. We left and
never went back. Coco was spayed at 6 months, no problems. She's an indoor cat
and has never been sick other than a reaction to Frontline (that nearly killed her).
No more flea poisons for her and she's never had to go to the vet in all these years.
She looks and acts much younger than she is, people are shocked to learn her age.

I'd get another opinion. Let us know and GOD bless!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I am so sorry about your baby. As others have said I would get a secong opinion from a reputable vet

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I have two wonderful boys living with pulmonic stenosis. You need to find a canine cardiologist who will run tests on Lulu. For starters an echocardiogram to find out exactly what is going on and if a surgery would benefit her. Both of my boys get yearly echos but sadly surgery is not an option for either of them. Remy is on 25mg of Atenelol, Sebastian is not. Sebastian is my smaller of the three I have weighing in at 41 pounds, Remy is a big boy. I have an excellent bulldog vet but for the boys' heart care they go to Michigan State University's Veterinary Teaching Hospital and have a wonderful cardiologist. It is worth it to maybe find a vet school and take Lulu there. I hope you get the answers you are looking for but in the meantime just love on her and give her the very best life you can

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I've seen little bully's, but generally they aren't healthy. Some breeders want what they call t-cup bulldogs. So the inbreed small bully's . What happens is the bad unhealthy traits go with the pup, just like breeding for specific colors.

Please get another vet to see her. How's her appetite? does she like to eat? how's her poop? is it normal? regular, formed? twice a day? does she seem to be thirsty all the time and drink way too much water? please keep us posted

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Sherry asked some great questions. The other thing that comes to mind is that in that pic I'm reminded of Abby. [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]. Maybe you can think of some more good questions for her to ask the vet that does the second opinion.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online