Thread: English bulldog dying?! She's only 7 months :(

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: English bulldog dying?! She's only 7 months :(

I have two wonderful boys living with pulmonic stenosis. You need to find a canine cardiologist who will run tests on Lulu. For starters an echocardiogram to find out exactly what is going on and if a surgery would benefit her. Both of my boys get yearly echos but sadly surgery is not an option for either of them. Remy is on 25mg of Atenelol, Sebastian is not. Sebastian is my smaller of the three I have weighing in at 41 pounds, Remy is a big boy. I have an excellent bulldog vet but for the boys' heart care they go to Michigan State University's Veterinary Teaching Hospital and have a wonderful cardiologist. It is worth it to maybe find a vet school and take Lulu there. I hope you get the answers you are looking for but in the meantime just love on her and give her the very best life you can
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

I've seen little bully's, but generally they aren't healthy. Some breeders want what they call t-cup bulldogs. So the inbreed small bully's . What happens is the bad unhealthy traits go with the pup, just like breeding for specific colors.

Please get another vet to see her. How's her appetite? does she like to eat? how's her poop? is it normal? regular, formed? twice a day? does she seem to be thirsty all the time and drink way too much water? please keep us posted
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Sherry asked some great questions. The other thing that comes to mind is that in that pic I'm reminded of Abby. @Twice. Maybe you can think of some more good questions for her to ask the vet that does the second opinion.

Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meatball, Maddy, And Lulu
    Likes (Received)

Her appetite is great! She loves to eat I've been feeding her 3 times a day.
    She's been eating ProPac since she was a baby. And I even was gonna up it to 4 times a day just to help her gain ssome weight. Her poop is normal. She drinks normally. And she is hyper hyper hyper. Which strikes me as odd because I've walked her a lot and she is still hyper. She's never showed any signs of having any heart problems! Well thanks to those breeders they hit the jack pot on creating a tea cup size bulldog. And now she's suffering. Small wonders takes the dogs in that the breeder surrender and try to find them good homes. Maddy is lulus mom and she was a puppy mill dog. I am so happy I got her because she was bred too many times. They gave maddy up because they couldn't breed her anymore. However she came to me with fangs missing, yellow teeth, hair missing, bad odor. And lulu came to me so tiny. I took care of them and I'm not regretting getting them because I love them. I'm just devastated lulu might not even out live her mom. I'm also upset with small wonders rescue for doing this! They have foster moms take in the dogs to their care until they find a good home. Seems like I got a foster mom who failed to tell me lulu would stay this small and be this thin.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Well the first thing is to get her to a real bully vet and see what he says, and then a cardiologist. How much are you feeding her? Maybe increase her food intact, plus has she been checked for intestinal worms. There are small bullies out there, a friend of ours has one and she weighs about 28 lbs. The heart problem should not be making her that skinny, so either she is not getting enough food intake, or something else is going n with her, and only a GOOD bully vet will be able to find out.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Simplyparis22 View Post
    Her appetite is great! She loves to eat I've been feeding her 3 times a day.
    She's been eating ProPac since she was a baby. And I even was gonna up it to 4 times a day just to help her gain ssome weight. Her poop is normal. She drinks normally. And she is hyper hyper hyper. Which strikes me as odd because I've walked her a lot and she is still hyper. She's never showed any signs of having any heart problems! Well thanks to those breeders they hit the jack pot on creating a tea cup size bulldog. And now she's suffering. Small wonders takes the dogs in that the breeder surrender and try to find them good homes. Maddy is lulus mom and she was a puppy mill dog. I am so happy I got her because she was bred too many times. They gave maddy up because they couldn't breed her anymore. However she came to me with fangs missing, yellow teeth, hair missing, bad odor. And lulu came to me so tiny. I took care of them and I'm not regretting getting them because I love them. I'm just devastated lulu might not even out live her mom. I'm also upset with small wonders rescue for doing this! They have foster moms take in the dogs to their care until they find a good home. Seems like I got a foster mom who failed to tell me lulu would stay this small and be this thin.

I'm thinking a hyper dog would be thin yes, but not have a heart problem. A heart problem would tire her out. The best thing I can say is get that other opinion like David said from a bully vet.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Simplyparis22 View Post
    Thanks for the kindness. No lulu is purebred English bulldog nothing mixed. & yes I feel like there is bigger issues going on here. Lulu did not start looking like this bad until a few weeks ago. Also, the Indiana rescue was called small wonders. This is where breeders surrender dogs. I was skeptical because she was 6 weeks old not even fully weaned! My heart is breaking I have the smallest English bulldog in the world I'm sure of it. I've googled photos and no English bulldog is as small or thin as her. It must have been something gone wrong when they bred her parents. I actually rescued her mom as well! Her mom has showed no issues just allergies. I'm so confused. Doesn't anyone have a little English bulldog like little lulu?
    Look at our auction page they're is a sweetheart tiny tiny bulldog on there. You need to take her for a solid second recommendation. Please.

Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

I would take her to a real bully vet and ask about worms and parasites both of those can make her thin and make her not gain weight. Also my Lola is a really hyper bully and I had to find food that is higher is protein and fat to get her to gain. I would be looking into a different food. I also would not put her down what so ever tell you get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 100th opinion. Please keep us updated!

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

This is sad and can tell your anquish. You have good advice. I so hope all works out well

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

Please keep us updated on what the second vet says. Will be for you and your baby.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

I'm so sorry you're going through this worry with your baby Lulu, I also agree with everyone that you should get a second opinion, and see if there isn't something else going on, or if it is heart related. If nothing else they should do some tests, starting with blood tests, to see if they can find anything. That vet was really insensitive for the comments he made, especially when he didn't really properly examine or test her. I would be switching vets, for someone with more compassion, and experience with bulldogs. Good luck, Hun, I hope there's nothing seriously wrong with Lulu, and if she does have a heart murmur that it is one that won't affect her, and she can live a oral life with it. Please keep us posted.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I had a tiny toy poodle years ago. I had taken her to a groomer, and when I picked her up, she seemed to have a cough, and she was still wet from a bath. She was 3 months old. I thought maybe she had caught a cold from not being dried after a bath. The next day, she still had a cough, and I took her to my vet. Turned out she had a heart problem. My vet said she would need surgery. He made an appt. with the University of Tn/Knoxville Veterinary hosp. She was the smallest dog that they had ever done this heart procedure to. She stayed in hosp. for two weeks. She went into congestive heart failure after we arrived,(before surgery) so they had to wait several days, before they could do surgery. Someone there even slept with her in oxygen tent to keep her calm. She made it through the surgery, and lived to be 13 years of age. We had been told if she didn't have the surgery, she would not make it.
    It is worth taking your baby to a GOOD vet so that you will know what the diagnoses is and what could be done. At least you will know you did not give up too soon. Prayers for you and your little one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads