Help Needed! Needs to pee constantly after spay...is this normal??

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
As most of you know she had surgery on wednesday and has has to pee more frequently than usual. But she serms to wsnt to pee every 15 minutes and will pee wherever she is sometimes. Or she is constantly crying to go out. For instance she's been outside to pee three times in the past 2 hours... and 2 minutes after we just came in she peed on the kitchen floor. Is this normal? And if it is how long will it last ?? It's frustrating as she was just doing so well with training :fie:
Thanks for any help :confused:

OP
KarenP

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
Re: Needs to be constantly after spay...is this normal??

And again :cursing:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

I wonder If she has developed a bladder infection, which can sometimes happen after spay surgery. Frequent peeing, and having unusual accidents are often signs of a bladder infection. How long ago did she have her surgery, because it is normal to have frequent urination and accidents for a day or two after surgery, due to the extra fluids given through IV, and the medications, but it usually stops after a day or two. My female Blossom had two accidents the night of her surgery, and the next day she was peeing a little more than usual, but after that she was okay. If it has been more than a couple of days, I would check with the vet to rule out a bladder infection. Hope Mia feels better soon. Keep us posted on how she's doing. Sending hugs and prayers.

OP
KarenP

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia

I wonder If she has developed a bladder infection, which can sometimes happen after spay surgery. Frequent peeing, and having unusual accidents are often signs of a bladder infection. How long ago did she have her surgery, because it is normal to have frequent urination and accidents for a day or two after surgery, due to the extra fluids given through IV, and the medications, but it usually stops after a day or two. My female Blossom had two accidents the night of her surgery, and the next day she was peeing a little more than usual, but after that she was okay. If it has been more than a couple of days, I would check with the vet to rule out a bladder infection. Hope Mia feels better soon. Keep us posted on how she's doing. Sending hugs and prayers.

Thx... she had the surgery wednesday. She seemed to be able to hold it better yesterday. I thought of bladder infection :( ill keep an eye on her tonight and if it continues I'll call the vet.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

Well today is only the second day, so could just be from the surgery, it is common for a day or two after spay surgery. Keep an eye on her tomorrow, and see if it subsides, it should do, but if it continues, I would call the vet and ask his advice. Keep us posted.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie

After Bre's spay surgery she pee'd like crazy or about 3 days then it started to taper off. Just to be sad tho, I would call the vet and let them know...it is possible she developed some kind of uti.

OP
KarenP

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia

After Bre's spay surgery she pee'd like crazy or about 3 days then it started to taper off. Just to be sad tho, I would call the vet and let them know...it is possible she developed some kind of uti.

That's good to know Lisa! Praying it tapers off soon.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie

That's good to know Lisa! Praying it tapers off soon.

Hopefully that is all it is! I would Call the vet tomorrow anyway just for peace if mind..please let us know his she is doing!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)

I have read (around here somewhere) that peeing uncontrollably is a pretty common thing to have happen after anesthesia. It should get better after a few days.
We were lucky with Amy. She had her spay on Monday and that didn't happen for her. But we already give her cranberry pills daily to ward off urinary issues that our bully girls seem prone to. We started that with HRH when she seemed to be having issues when we first got her, and just started Amy on them when she was about 4 months old.

Last edited:
OP
KarenP

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia

I have read (around here somewhere) that peeing uncontrollably is a pretty common thing to have happen after anesthesia. It should get better after a few days.
We were lucky with Amy. She had her spay on Monday and that didn't happen for her. But we already give her cranberry pills daily to ward off urinary issues that our bully girls seem prone to. We started that with HRH when she seemed to be having issues when we first got her, and just started Amy on them when she was about 4 months old.

Thx Lari! If that's what it is I should start her on those too!

OP
KarenP

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia

I Took a urine sample to vet (although hard to get cause she will walk around and around, then squat down so fast... and low to the ground!) Anyway... they didn't gind a whole lot of bacteria but did find a lot of white blood cells. I've started her on the antibiotics so hopefully she will start feeling better soon!

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie

Hope she feels better and gets back to normal very soon!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22

Hope Mia starts feeling better soon.

OP
KarenP

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
[MENTION=9236]Lisabear123[/MENTION] [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION]
Thx... I think she's feeling better as she's flying off the walls :excited: