To x ray, or not to x ray - that is my question

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
So, as most of you know, Baby T had two hip surgeries almost three months ago, at 14 weeks old.

One of the surgeries, which placed his hip back into socket, can be considered a success. Three months later, the hip is still in socket and the sutures, which held the hip in place, have likely long since been severed, since they were designed to give as Truman grew.

The second surgery, the JPS (Juvenile Pubic Symphysiodesis) surgery, was a preventative surgery. Basically, we knew Truman's hips were really loose as a puppy, in order to encourage them to grow in tighter, the growth plate in the lower portion of his pubic bone was fused so the top would continue to grow and create better hip joints. In dogs between 14-16 weeks of age when the surgery is performed, 90% see improvement.

The orthopedic surgeon, who performed the surgery, said that she would like to x ray Truman again at 7 months to see how the hips have grown in. As his 7 month birthday approaches, I am conflicted about getting this set of x rays. Not only would it cost another $150 (which is really not the issue), I'm not sure I want to know if something isn't perfect or he didn't grow into the hips the way we hoped. He hasn't had any problems since the surgery and I am concerned that the x rays will make me crazy over a problem I can, in reality, do nothing about. Even if the x rays do not show perfect hips, he is getting around great and many dogs live without perfect hip joints. If something is going to happen, it's going to happen regardless of what's on that x ray film. On the other hand, information is power and it would be good to know what the hips look like now that he's grown into them a bit more.

What does everyone think? You would have the follow up x rays? Or would you just be happy your puppy is getting around fine after the surgery?

I am totally conflicted so any advice is appreciated!

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
If the Xrays can help prevent a later issue i say Yes...but if its something that can't be fixed either way...then why stress yourself if its not going to help or hurt.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think I would feel the EXACT same way you do. I guess my thing is if he is doing great, why cause yourself more worry? but at the same time, what if there is something showing on there that needs attention?

Very hard decision.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
another x-ray is another bout of radiation. I say do what your heart tells you... You are a wonderful bully mom either way!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
If it were me I think I would have to do the xray just because I would be worrying about it either way, not knowing for sure. You go with your heart and do what you feel is best. It would be awful to find out that the hip is still not good but then maybe knowing would help in future fixes also. Technology these days can be the devil cuz we know so much more than we would have say 30 or 40 years ago and ignorance is bliss. Tough decision for sure!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
If it were me I think I would have to do the xray just because I would be worrying about it either way, not knowing for sure. You go with your heart and do what you feel is best. It would be awful to find out that the hip is still not good but then maybe knowing would help in future fixes also. Technology these days can be the devil cuz we know so much more than we would have say 30 or 40 years ago and ignorance is bliss. Tough decision for sure!

I'd be the same way. For me, it depends if I trust the dr's competencies. I also worry (and am little impatient :whistle:) and somehow need to know right away what the results are. But, of course, if you feel that waiting will produce the best results and makes sense the most, I'd wait too.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I pretty much agree everywhere else, I say trust you gut and do what you feel is the right thing. If it were me, I realize ignorance is bliss but I prefer to be well informed, so I would go ahead and gete x rays done. But again I think you should do whatever YOU think is best.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input. I have a month to decide but I am currently leaning toward having the x rays taken...just because it will make me feel better not knowing doesn't mean it will make Truman feel better. I guess I'd rather know if there's potential trouble on the horizon and be prepared than not. Plus, if there are any other preventative measures I can take, in terms of exercise or medication, I would like to know that too. No matter what the x rays say, it won't change that he's getting around great.

I totally agree with [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] - technology can be a mixed blessing!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Well, it sounds like you've made up your mind to go with the ex-rays. I was just going to say I think I'd be happy with the fact that he's doing so well, and not take the chance of his ex-rays showing something that's just going to drive you crazy and nothing can be done about. I guess I'm the type that's happier with the "ignorance is bliss" theory, provided there really isn't anything to be done as a result of these ex-rays. It IS a really hard decision.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Again in the end you must go with what you feel is right.

If it were me I would just have to have the x-rays taken because it would drive me totally crazy not knowing for sure. Plus, if the x-rays do show that something is wrong then who knows what the future will bring in the way of advancement in this field. It is always possible that somebody could find a way of fixing it, in which case I would be aware that my bullie needed that new treatment.

Also, again if I were in your position, if I found out the preventative surgery had not worked then I could look at things that I should avoid letting him do to give him the most comfortable life possible - if such things exist!!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'd do the x-rays. Knowledge is power. If the dr says "Great...he's doing awesome. 100% ...or better than expected"....then when he trips or falls and starts limping..you will know it's not his hip. If the Dr says "there is still a potential for problem...hip is not 100%"....you would be careful in the activities you'd let him partake in. I'd want to know for sure.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.