Help Needed! skin irritation and low weight

DixieKooper09

Aug 8, 2013
Oceanside, California, United States ( Native Sout
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dixie and Kooper
I have a 6 month old male bulldog who just isnt gaining weight at all! we feed him 2 meals a day as directed and we feed him food high in protein worm him regularly but still have no results. plus here recently he has some type of skin thing going on where just patches of hair are gone and the area is red and crusty. Today i put some "hot spot" on all of the areas which is like 10-15 in hopes that it will ease any discomfort and or further irritation. Im planning on taking him to the vet this weekend but i was hoping someone could give me a heads up as to what i might be dealing with. Our other bulldog doesnt have any of these problems. She is perfectly healthy with no skin or weight issues.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Can you post some pictures of the skin issues/spots?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Along with pics what food are you feeding your baby? The reason I ask is that in many bullies food is the number 1 cause of many skin issues.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I was going to ask the same question, what are you feeding him? Many of us feed grain free due to allergies.

chucho90044

May 20, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pancha
Im also going through the same thing with my little girl, she's about 9 months, so Im taking a different course of action to see if it changes her health. Pancha started getting hot spots about two months ago, I went crazy trying to figure out what happened until I came about several articles and through forums of what it was, HOT SPOTS! anyways, I went out and bought Vetericyn hot spot spray and within days her skin cleared up and the hair stopped falling, now she's left with hairless spots but its slowly growing. She recently developed another hot spot right behind her left ear, its swelled up a bit and looked super pink, after spraying the Vetericyn spray it relieved the pinkness and swelling really good, but it seems to just be lingering there, so now I'm realizing that I pretty much covered how to alleviate the hot spots but not really curing it completely, and thats where I'm at today, as of yesterday I went out and threw away her old dog food and bought the best grain & by-product free natural dog food I can find, so I'm trying Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon Recipe, and she loves it big time, Im really hopeful that in a couple weeks I see a good change in her coat and skin. I love my Bully and made me angry she was going through this. oh and also, she just started her first period this morning, she beat me to the punch, before getting her spayed. Anyways, sorry if I went off topic, just throwing in my two cents (somewhat) and i'll definitely come back here to let you guys know how she's doing after a couple weeks with her new healthier good.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Im also going through the same thing with my little girl, she's about 9 months, so Im taking a different course of action to see if it changes her health. Pancha started getting hot spots about two months ago, I went crazy trying to figure out what happened until I came about several articles and through forums of what it was, HOT SPOTS! anyways, I went out and bought Vetericyn hot spot spray and within days her skin cleared up and the hair stopped falling, now she's left with hairless spots but its slowly growing. She recently developed another hot spot right behind her left ear, its swelled up a bit and looked super pink, after spraying the Vetericyn spray it relieved the pinkness and swelling really good, but it seems to just be lingering there, so now I'm realizing that I pretty much covered how to alleviate the hot spots but not really curing it completely, and thats where I'm at today, as of yesterday I went out and threw away her old dog food and bought the best grain & by-product free natural dog food I can find, so I'm trying Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon Recipe, and she loves it big time, Im really hopeful that in a couple weeks I see a good change in her coat and skin. I love my Bully and made me angry she was going through this. oh and also, she just started her first period this morning, she beat me to the punch, before getting her spayed. Anyways, sorry if I went off topic, just throwing in my two cents (somewhat) and i'll definitely come back here to let you guys know how she's doing after a couple weeks with her new healthier good.

That is great news. In a few weeks try adding lowfat plain yogurt or Kefir to her diet. 1- 2 tbls per day the probiotic is good for them.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I have a 6 month old male bulldog who just isnt gaining weight at all! we feed him 2 meals a day as directed and we feed him food high in protein worm him regularly but still have no results. plus here recently he has some type of skin thing going on where just patches of hair are gone and the area is red and crusty. Today i put some "hot spot" on all of the areas which is like 10-15 in hopes that it will ease any discomfort and or further irritation. Im planning on taking him to the vet this weekend but i was hoping someone could give me a heads up as to what i might be dealing with. Our other bulldog doesnt have any of these problems. She is perfectly healthy with no skin or weight issues.

Just going to repeat what has already been asked .. could you post a pic of the spots and let us know what and how much food you are giving to him??

OP
DixieKooper09

DixieKooper09

Aug 8, 2013
Oceanside, California, United States ( Native Sout
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dixie and Kooper
DSC01574.jpgDSC01575.jpgDSC01576.jpgDSC01582.jpgDSC01578.jpg as you can see his weight is really low and most of the spots are on his back between his shoulder blades, but there are a few on his face and under his neck as well as a couple of spots on his legs.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
They do look like hot spots. A vet check may be in order for your little guy as something is definitely not right.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
@DixieKooper09 I agree with Kazzy and Marine as possible hot spots or ringworm. Also he can definitely gain some weight. How is his bowel movements? Are they solid? All bullies are different so what is working for you other bully might not be working for Kooper. I would ask your vet to run a blood test to rule out any types of parasites and also do a thyroid test. Please keep us updated on what the vet says.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online