Help Needed! Sick Bulldog, and I am grabbing at straws for any type of help

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It's pretty good when you go to the vet and tell them what test to run because you know more then they do when it comes to stuff like this and our Bulls. THANK YOU EBN!!!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
The vet said the gas build up in the large intestines and not in the small intestines so that is why the vet doesn't think there is a blockage.

I know it's expensive but an ultrasound is the only way to be sure. Sometimes the xray doesn't show everything and it's good that your vet did a rectal exam but I don't think he is understanding how truly LONG the intestines really are. Depending on the size of the dog, he could have anywhere from 15 to 32 feet of intestine in there. Somehow I don't think his fingers are that long :)

If he doesn't want to eat, don't force him. He is probably very uncomfortable. He won't starve to death but you really should ask about that ultrasound.

OP
Jlambe

Jlambe

Aug 7, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack Daddy
So the vet took more x-rays yesterday and all the gas build up that was there on Tuesday is now gone and everything looked fine. Nothing looked wrong, no build up, no obstructions, stomach looked good. I asked him about the barium with x-rays, he told me he doesn't like to use barium because let's say there is a blockage and then you do surgery and the barium leaks out then the puppy could have some more issues with it being a foreign liquid plus he has had multiple issues where he has used barium in the past and the x-rays showed there was a blockage, so he does surgery to take out the blockage and in reality there is nothing there.

So the plan as of yesterday afternoon, if Mack (the puppy) doesn't eat anything by tomorrow he would recommend two things, run a scope which if pretty expensive, run a ultra sound which is also expensive, or do exploratory surgery which is cheaper.

As of right of right now, Mack did eat last night, seems to have a little more energy from taking his meds. I talked to the Dog breeder asking if she has seen any cases and she mentioned that since the puppy has some discolored flim come out on his nose that he could have a type of ammonia/ respiratory infection that wouldn't show up on the x-rays which could effect the way he eats, maybe a swollen throat since he chews food but won't swallow it. plus lately he has been have a harder time breathing by having flim in his throat, so she gave him a penicillin shot. Things were looking up this morning which is good.

Just thought I give yall an update

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So the vet took more x-rays yesterday and all the gas build up that was there on Tuesday is now gone and everything looked fine. Nothing looked wrong, no build up, no obstructions, stomach looked good. I asked him about the barium with x-rays, he told me he doesn't like to use barium because let's say there is a blockage and then you do surgery and the barium leaks out then the puppy could have some more issues with it being a foreign liquid plus he has had multiple issues where he has used barium in the past and the x-rays showed there was a blockage, so he does surgery to take out the blockage and in reality there is nothing there.

So the plan as of yesterday afternoon, if Mack (the puppy) doesn't eat anything by tomorrow he would recommend two things, run a scope which if pretty expensive, run a ultra sound which is also expensive, or do exploratory surgery which is cheaper.

As of right of right now, Mack did eat last night, seems to have a little more energy from taking his meds. I talked to the Dog breeder asking if she has seen any cases and she mentioned that since the puppy has some discolored flim come out on his nose that he could have a type of ammonia/ respiratory infection that wouldn't show up on the x-rays which could effect the way he eats, maybe a swollen throat since he chews food but won't swallow it. plus lately he has been have a harder time breathing by having flim in his throat, so she gave him a penicillin shot. Things were looking up this morning which is good.

Thank you. Before you do anything get a second opinion. Is this vet a Bully vet? Have they had experience with Bulldogs before?

OP
Jlambe

Jlambe

Aug 7, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack Daddy
Thank you. Before you do anything get a second opinion. Is this vet a Bully vet? Have they had experience with Bulldogs before?

The Breeder I got Mack from wants me to take him to her Vet if things don't seem to get better, she thinks her vet has probably dealt more with bulldogs then the one I have been going too. I am not saying the vet I have been going too has been bad, he has been very understandable and wants to take things slow instead of just jumping to an conclusion to some expensive procedure to try to get into my back pocket. He has not charged me watching during the day I am at work, no charge for extra x-rays taken. I mean yesterday I walked into the Vet office and Mack was playing with kittens and running around the office all day. He said he didn't even kennel him really.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Breeder I got Mack from wants me to take him to her Vet if things don't seem to get better, she thinks her vet has probably dealt more with bulldogs then the one I have been going too. I am not saying the vet I have been going too has been bad, he has been very understandable and wants to take things slow instead of just jumping to an conclusion to some expensive procedure to try to get into my back pocket. He has not charged me watching during the day I am at work, no charge for extra x-rays taken. I mean yesterday I walked into the Vet office and Mack was playing with kittens and running around the office all day. He said he didn't even kennel him really.

That's a great thing you found someone good. I would definitely take him to the breeders vet before you do anything else. God willing Mack will be fine and eat like normal and all of this can be put behind you. I absolutely love his name, I was vetoed for naming Buster that!! Please keep us updated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Thanks for the update.... please keep us posted. Hugs, prayers and postivie thoughts that he gets well soon

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
It's pretty good when you go to the vet and tell them what test to run because you know more then they do when it comes to stuff like this and our Bulls. THANK YOU EBN!!!
AGREED!!!

I hope that Mack gets to feeling better soon... I have nothing to add, looks like you have gotten some great advice. Keep us posted!!!

Last edited:
OP
Jlambe

Jlambe

Aug 7, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack Daddy
He has been eating like a pig, pooping and staying hydrated. Everything is looking good for him just taking it one day at a time. Thanks for all yalls help.

Do yall know by chance if there is a Dallas, TX English Bulldog club?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=9557]Jlambe[/MENTION] So happy he is doing better and hoping he will continue to do well. There is a Fort Worth Bulldog Club that meets in Arlington. I will PM you with their web site.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
​Such wonderful news, GOD bless your precious Mack and you & yours!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.