Help Needed! Sick Bulldog, and I am grabbing at straws for any type of help

Jlambe

Aug 7, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack Daddy
I am currently a new owner of a 4 month old English bulldog named Mack Daddy, I have had him for 1 month and he has had all his shots but this last Sunday he started throwing up. I first thought he had too much of a Rawhide bone because that's what came up. Well early Monday morning he started throwing up and having diarrhea and didn't eat breakfast, so I took him to the vet. He examined him and he wanted to started off just giving him a shot to stop the nausea and recommended me to boil some chicken and white rice. So I did and he ate 3/4 of a chicken breast and half a cup of white rice. He was able to keep all that down but as of right now he hasn't eaten since Monday morning. Mack Daddy has been tested for Parvo which came back negative, he has been x-rayed and everything looked good, chest looked good, no flim build up, nothing lodged anywhere in the stomach or in intestines. Vet did a rectal examine and everything was fine, he doesn't have a fever. the only thing the vet noticed was that his white blood cells count was a little high, has a runny noise and had a gas build up in the lower intestines. So he used liquid to spray up in the rectal area to kill the bacteria hoping that might easy some uncomfortableness so maybe he would eat and the vet also gave me anti biotics for the runny nose and help out his irritated intestines. He drinks water occasionally so he is hydrated and his color looks good.

Last night he finally ate a little bit of cheese and peanut butter but that was it then this morning he started chewing on his dog food but he just chews on it but doesn't swallow it.

I am out of ideas and so is the Vet till he shows anymore or different symptoms. I feel bad for the pup and I am just grabbing at straws, one thing the vet is cautious for is that he might have distemper which isn't good but he doesn't have blood in the stool or a fever.

I am just looking for an advice or knowledge. the vet and I have tried all sorts of food to get him to eat
boiled chicken and rice, cottage cheese, yogurt, special puppy food, wet food

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
As you have recently discovered rawhides and bullies do not mix as they are choking and blockage hazards for them. I am no expert by any means but I am concerned about the gas build up in the intestines. To me that sounds like a possible blockage. There are others that will be along shortly that know a lot more than I do that could provide more information. I have tagged a few of them.

HeatherTaylor

Jul 30, 2012
Harford County Maryland
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bandit and Kozmo Monster
I have always had good luck with baby food. Also a bit of canned plain pumpkin is good for diarrhea. I hope he doesnt have distemper! I have not dealt with any of the named illnesses, just the occasional upset tummy type problems.do you know what he was eating before you took him home?

Heather, Bandit and the Kozmo Monster
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
My Ruthie just had an insane issue with diarrhea. I ended up taking her to the vet and they recommended that I didn't feed her for a few days until her stomach and intestines calmed down. When I did finally feed her a few days later, it was only boiled chicken and rice until we saw she was going potty normally. I know Ruthie did not want to eat or drink anything because her insides were so irritated. I wish I could be more help and I hope Mack gets better. I would just give it a few more days and see if the medicine works. I would leave food out but not force him to eat because going to the bathroom if his insides are irritable is probably hell for him. Get better soon!

HeatherTaylor

Jul 30, 2012
Harford County Maryland
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bandit and Kozmo Monster
And yes NO more rawhide! Blockage is a possibility :( I hope he gets better quickly!

Heather, Bandit and the Kozmo Monster
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like a blockage, unless the swallowed item has density it won't show up in an X-ray, high white blood cell count is what Yuna had as well as clean X-rays.... But she had a blockage.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
It does sound like blockage even though the x rays showed nothing. There are several people who have had this happen. Hopefully someone will be by soon to give you some more advise. Hopefully Mack Daddy feels better soon.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Sounds like a blockage to me too...have they done an ultra sound?

OP
Jlambe

Jlambe

Aug 7, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack Daddy
Sounds like a blockage to me too...have they done an ultra sound?
No the vet just did X-rays, he checked the rectal area and didn't feel anything blocking

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Unfortunately everything that can block the stomach or intestines don't show in X-rays. I he is not eating, vomiting and if pooing, only watery, it sounds like a blockage. The blockage can also be far away from the rectal area. Listen to his stomach. If there's nothing moving there's also no sounds. Feel it if there's gas or if it's tender. Some stuff that don't show on X-rays show with ultra sound.

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
It is not necessarily a good thing that your vet gave the anti-nausea injection, as that is just suppressing the bodies own tendancy to expell the problem when it was first in the stomach. I would run your dog to get an ultrasound, just to be on the safe side.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
X-ray with barium will show stuff that is not dense in nature too.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
Jlambe

Jlambe

Aug 7, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack Daddy
Unfortunately everything that can block the stomach or intestines don't show in X-rays. I he is not eating, vomiting and if pooing, only watery, it sounds like a blockage. The blockage can also be far away from the rectal area. Listen to his stomach. If there's nothing moving there's also no sounds. Feel it if there's gas or if it's tender. Some stuff that don't show on X-rays show with ultra sound.

The vet said the gas build up was in the large intestines and not the small intestines so that is why he said he doesn't think there is a blockage

OP
Jlambe

Jlambe

Aug 7, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack Daddy
The vet said the gas build up in the large intestines and not in the small intestines so that is why the vet doesn't think there is a blockage.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
The vet said the gas build up in the large intestines and not in the small intestines so that is why the vet doesn't think there is a blockage.
Only an ultrasound or xray with barium like [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] suggested would be able to rule out a blockage with any certainty.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.