Thread: Bosco keeps getting diarrhea and has clear urine

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bosco
    Likes (Received)

Unhappy Bosco keeps getting diarrhea and has clear urine

We've had our pup for about a month and a half ago, and since then he's had diarrhea 3 times!

I don't know what's causing this. We've tried discussing this with 3 different vets, but feel as though each one of them has taken advantage of us by selling us unnecessary products that they deem vital to help solve the problem (Hills Science Diet/Royal Canin..ugh), or trying to over-treat them (overnight visit and IV for soft stools...which we fell for the first time)!

After Bosco got diarrhea for the second time, we assumed it was caused by something he ingested - he tends to eat everything when we take him out in the yard. The vet tested his stool and said he was clear of any parasites or giardia, but had higher than usual levels of bacteria - so he prescribed antibiotics and probiotics, and it cleared up almost immediately.

But since then we've kept him out of the yard and monitored closely what he ingests. But yet AGAIN, 3 weeks later, his stool has randomly turned terribly soft and yellow (sorry for the visual). I've put him on the bland diet since yesterday, hoping that will clear it up and I can avoid another vet visit.

However, I've also noticed his urine is clear like water, and he is peeing in unusually large amounts - I initially thought it was because he was drinking a lot of water, but he isn't really consuming more than he normally does. I'm curious as to whether this is because of the bland diet.

Anyone have experience with a puppy who keeps arbitrarily getting diarrhea? Any thoughts on what might be causing this?? Really hoping it clears up by this evening, otherwise he'll be going to the vet again.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bosco keeps getting diarrhea and has clear urine

What are you feeding him? It could be that it is not agreeing with him...My Usko came to us with a bag of RC Bulldog puppy and had on/off loose stools for as long as we changed his food.

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bosco
    Likes (Received)

He's on Fromm Four Star - the food itself seems to be agreeing with him. It's just arbitrary bouts of diarreah he keeps getting.

His clear urine is worrying me as well, hes passing large volumes of urine that's clear as water.. :| Really was hoping he would get better and I could avoid another vet visit.

Doggie Boutique Owner christyjulene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christy
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BoscosMom View Post
    We've had our pup for about a month and a half ago, and since then he's had diarrhea 3 times!

I don't know what's causing this. We've tried discussing this with 3 different vets, but feel as though each one of them has taken advantage of us by selling us unnecessary products that they deem vital to help solve the problem (Hills Science Diet/Royal Canin..ugh), or trying to over-treat them (overnight visit and IV for soft stools...which we fell for the first time)!

After Bosco got diarrhea for the second time, we assumed it was caused by something he ingested - he tends to eat everything when we take him out in the yard. The vet tested his stool and said he was clear of any parasites or giardia, but had higher than usual levels of bacteria - so he prescribed antibiotics and probiotics, and it cleared up almost immediately.

But since then we've kept him out of the yard and monitored closely what he ingests. But yet AGAIN, 3 weeks later, his stool has randomly turned terribly soft and yellow (sorry for the visual). I've put him on the bland diet since yesterday, hoping that will clear it up and I can avoid another vet visit.

However, I've also noticed his urine is clear like water, and he is peeing in unusually large amounts - I initially thought it was because he was drinking a lot of water, but he isn't really consuming more than he normally does. I'm curious as to whether this is because of the bland diet.

Anyone have experience with a puppy who keeps arbitrarily getting diarrhea? Any thoughts on what might be causing this?? Really hoping it clears up by this evening, otherwise he'll be going to the vet again.
    Couple of thoughts - Poop -The antibiotics did not clear up all the bacteria and the bacteria grew back or he has viral infection. Pee - Urinary tract infections can cause frequent urination. Diabetes causes increased urination but also increased thirst (not usually found in young dogs). A spoon full of pure pumpkin will help firm up the stools.
    Abbey is looking for a forever home

Bulldog(s) Names
    Taz
    Likes (Received)

Canned pumpkin, make sure it's not pumpkin pie filling. That's what my trainer mentioned.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Maybe try cutting back on his food just a tad, and try the pumpkin and see if that helps. If he keeps urinating like that you may need to get him checked out for that as he could have something else going on.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

You've been given great advice for the other stuff. I want to address this...

Quote Originally Posted by BoscosMom View Post

Bland diet will not cause color changes in the urine. Have you had a urinalysis done? It is possible that he has a UTI that he will need treatment for.

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

You have rec'd great advice.... just wanted to send positive thoughts your way
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Remove Ads