Bosco keeps getting diarrhea and has clear urine

BoscosMom

Jul 29, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco
We've had our pup for about a month and a half ago, and since then he's had diarrhea 3 times!

I don't know what's causing this. We've tried discussing this with 3 different vets, but feel as though each one of them has taken advantage of us by selling us unnecessary products that they deem vital to help solve the problem (Hills Science Diet/Royal Canin..ugh), or trying to over-treat them (overnight visit and IV for soft stools...which we fell for the first time)!

After Bosco got diarrhea for the second time, we assumed it was caused by something he ingested - he tends to eat everything when we take him out in the yard. The vet tested his stool and said he was clear of any parasites or giardia, but had higher than usual levels of bacteria - so he prescribed antibiotics and probiotics, and it cleared up almost immediately.

But since then we've kept him out of the yard and monitored closely what he ingests. But yet AGAIN, 3 weeks later, his stool has randomly turned terribly soft and yellow (sorry for the visual). I've put him on the bland diet since yesterday, hoping that will clear it up and I can avoid another vet visit.

However, I've also noticed his urine is clear like water, and he is peeing in unusually large amounts - I initially thought it was because he was drinking a lot of water, but he isn't really consuming more than he normally does. I'm curious as to whether this is because of the bland diet.

Anyone have experience with a puppy who keeps arbitrarily getting diarrhea? Any thoughts on what might be causing this?? Really hoping it clears up by this evening, otherwise he'll be going to the vet again.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
What are you feeding him? It could be that it is not agreeing with him...My Usko came to us with a bag of RC Bulldog puppy and had on/off loose stools for as long as we changed his food.

OP
BoscosMom

BoscosMom

Jul 29, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco
He's on Fromm Four Star - the food itself seems to be agreeing with him. It's just arbitrary bouts of diarreah he keeps getting.

His clear urine is worrying me as well, hes passing large volumes of urine that's clear as water.. :| Really was hoping he would get better and I could avoid another vet visit.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
We've had our pup for about a month and a half ago, and since then he's had diarrhea 3 times!

I don't know what's causing this. We've tried discussing this with 3 different vets, but feel as though each one of them has taken advantage of us by selling us unnecessary products that they deem vital to help solve the problem (Hills Science Diet/Royal Canin..ugh), or trying to over-treat them (overnight visit and IV for soft stools...which we fell for the first time)!

After Bosco got diarrhea for the second time, we assumed it was caused by something he ingested - he tends to eat everything when we take him out in the yard. The vet tested his stool and said he was clear of any parasites or giardia, but had higher than usual levels of bacteria - so he prescribed antibiotics and probiotics, and it cleared up almost immediately.

But since then we've kept him out of the yard and monitored closely what he ingests. But yet AGAIN, 3 weeks later, his stool has randomly turned terribly soft and yellow (sorry for the visual). I've put him on the bland diet since yesterday, hoping that will clear it up and I can avoid another vet visit.

However, I've also noticed his urine is clear like water, and he is peeing in unusually large amounts - I initially thought it was because he was drinking a lot of water, but he isn't really consuming more than he normally does. I'm curious as to whether this is because of the bland diet.

Anyone have experience with a puppy who keeps arbitrarily getting diarrhea? Any thoughts on what might be causing this?? Really hoping it clears up by this evening, otherwise he'll be going to the vet again.

Couple of thoughts - Poop -The antibiotics did not clear up all the bacteria and the bacteria grew back or he has viral infection. Pee - Urinary tract infections can cause frequent urination. Diabetes causes increased urination but also increased thirst (not usually found in young dogs). A spoon full of pure pumpkin will help firm up the stools.

Angie1969

Apr 5, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Taz
Canned pumpkin, make sure it's not pumpkin pie filling. That's what my trainer mentioned.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Maybe try cutting back on his food just a tad, and try the pumpkin and see if that helps. If he keeps urinating like that you may need to get him checked out for that as he could have something else going on.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
You've been given great advice for the other stuff. I want to address this...

Bland diet will not cause color changes in the urine. Have you had a urinalysis done? It is possible that he has a UTI that he will need treatment for.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You have rec'd great advice.... just wanted to send positive thoughts your way

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.