Allergy signs

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Just wondering what obvious signs and symptoms are clues to an allergy and what treatment is used? I know benedryl has been used but is this for all allergys? And the amounts given.
Ive noticed meekos pinky skin under his furr looks more pink than usual and also he is chewing at his paws a lot lately and I think I read that this could be an allergy sign?

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Skin allergies are incredibly common most cases are relatively mild but in some cases it can cause significant long term suffering if untreated . The most common symptoms of skin allergies are itching-to the point of bleeding ,red and inflamed skin ,hot spits,fur loss and paw chewing, There are few types of skin allergies atopy (allergies to things that are breathed in-like dust etc )food allergy and allergy from a bite for instance flea bite The best thing you could do is see the vet -it might be something seasonal ;-)

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Forgot to add in uk they use steroids (i don't recommend it for a long term) as well as pirotyn (i think that is how you write it) and if your vet advise you to run a test (there are two types of tests -blood testing and skin testing-the second one is proven to be more accurate ) -then after the tests vet can prescribe monthly jab that is made for the type of allergies dog can suffer from -but this is succesfull in 7 from 10 dogs and can be quite expensive
Also if your dog is allergic to grass like mine is (red paws ,biting licking etc) before i go out i cover my dog with very thin layer of nappy rash cream -sudocream is the best -as it contains less amount of chemicals that is no good for dogs -this cream stops grass contact with skin
First thing i can advice you before you run any tests or get steroids is to rule out food allergy by changing to hypoalergic food like most bully owners here advise their bullies are allergic to chicken -that is another thing to keep in ming
Hope this helped you x

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
sounds like an allergy is beginning to show.... how old is Meeko, like a year, right?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
unfortunately it does sound like allergies are starting to show. Those symptoms are classic.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Benadryl generic is fine 1mg per pound of bully 2 to 3 times a day. This will help with the redness and chewing.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I agree w the rest, it idles sound like some allergy might be kicking in. Is it at certain times of the day, after walks, eating etc?

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] ... yes meeko has just turned 1 years old

Hes always had the same food and treats nothing in his routine has changed as far as I can think?

Evening times I notice him chewing his paw more when hes settled on his bed.
Should I make a vet appointment or would it not be worth it at this stage?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, some signs that your dog has allergies are;

constant chewing or licking of paws, body, or groin area

hot spots or bald spots on fur

Inflammation

Rubbing the face/ pink face, chin,

waxy ears and discharge and ear infections

Red bumps, scaly skin, hair loss or thinning hair

Skin infections, hives, rash, pimples,

Red itchy moist skin

greasy skin or fur with odor

red itchy eyes, goopy eyes,

vomiting and diarrhea

Increased stools, and mushy soft stools (food allergies)

Coughing and Wheezing

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama ... yes meeko has just turned 1 years old

Hes always had the same food and treats nothing in his routine has changed as far as I can think?

Evening times I notice him chewing his paw more when hes settled on his bed.
Should I make a vet appointment or would it not be worth it at this stage?

I would wipe his paws when you know he is done outside for the night... unscented baby wipes or a warm cloth (no soap). see if it helps any.... if not, allergy tests may be in order... but some vets like to wait till the pup is 2 yr old beofre running those tests

jlj781

Jun 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Bufflyn (2011-2019)
Hey, we've found Buff has been getting the same thing, same situation, she has always been on the same food, we got her last September and she was fine up until late spring/summer when she turned one and now she gets red bumps on her stomach and itches alot (and most recently is missing 5-6 very small but noticeable patches of fur on her back). We've used Bendryl and it seems to help a bit when shes really bad but its not a solution. we have taken her to the vet and got a special shampoo and bath her lots but she still seems to be itchy alot of the time and these spots seem to come and go and we dont notice any 1 factor that is occuring when they flair up. Her feet have been fine so far its just the spots on her stomach chest and upper legs. We took her back to the vet and got the expensive food/environment test and it came back with nothing significant that she was allergic to. the vet its going to try Neoral/Atopica 100mg for a month and she also mentioned Ketoconazole perhaps after the month is up. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this where it appears they are not allergic to anything in particular but still have the symptoms and how they might have dealt with it. Its very frustrating watching buff scratch and not knowing why its happening or how to help. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Hey, we've found Buff has been getting the same thing, same situation, she has always been on the same food, we got her last September and she was fine up until late spring/summer when she turned one and now she gets red bumps on her stomach and itches alot (and most recently is missing 5-6 very small but noticeable patches of fur on her back). We've used Bendryl and it seems to help a bit when shes really bad but its not a solution. we have taken her to the vet and got a special shampoo and bath her lots but she still seems to be itchy alot of the time and these spots seem to come and go and we dont notice any 1 factor that is occuring when they flair up. Her feet have been fine so far its just the spots on her stomach chest and upper legs. We took her back to the vet and got the expensive food/environment test and it came back with nothing significant that she was allergic to. the vet its going to try Neoral/Atopica 100mg for a month and she also mentioned Ketoconazole perhaps after the month is up. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this where it appears they are not allergic to anything in particular but still have the symptoms and how they might have dealt with it. Its very frustrating watching buff scratch and not knowing why its happening or how to help. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

It appears that your vet is treating your dog for atopic dermatitis which is basically an itchy skin disorder that can be a huge challenge as I am sure you know. The Ketoconazole treats fungus and yeast. You have done the right things.

Things I would consider trying.

Douxo Calm Mousse - You can apply it every three days. Skip the days you give a bath with medicated shampoo.
http://www.amazon.com/DOUXO-Calm-Mo...ie=UTF8&qid=1375909581&sr=1-16&keywords=douxo

Don't shy away from using the Benadryl it won't hurt her and if it makes her more comfortable then that is good. 1mg per 1 pound of dog 2-3 times a day. If she has side effects like being sleepy try another antihistamine like Claritin or Zytrec.

Boosting up her immune system:

Virgin Coconut Oil 1 tsp per 10 pounds of body weight. Once a day. You can feed it off of a spoon to her or put it with her food.

NuVet Plus - Canine Vitamin yes it is one the expensive side it is a high quality supplement. https://www.nuvetlabs.com/order_new/index.asp

Good Luck

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.