Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
So I recently took Petunia to have her yearly check up and all was fine but I have noticed since then that she sometimes coughs...its a dry cough and she only does it once in a while...Doc said her heart sounded good so I don't think its CHF. Just wondering if anyone else noticed this about their bully and if it is fairly normal or just me being too hyper vigilant?

I was giving her Annie's Herbal Respiratory Support but I ran out.

Perhaps it could be allergies?

Anybody have any thoughts or words of advice?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
So I recently took Petunia to have her yearly check up and all was fine but I have noticed since then that she sometimes coughs...its a dry cough and she only does it once in a while...Doc said her heart sounded good so I don't think its CHF. Just wondering if anyone else noticed this about their bully and if it is fairly normal or just me being too hyper vigilant?

I was giving her Annie's Herbal Respiratory Support but I ran out.

Perhaps it could be allergies?

Anybody have any thoughts or words of advice?

How old is Petunia?

Does she tend to cough at certain times of day or when she's doing certain things?

Have you noticed a reduction in her appetite or activity level?

There is no such thing as hyper-vigilance with your bulldog - you know her better than anyone else so if you suspect something is amiss, it well could be.

And not to be alarmist, but this reads like the exact same post I made before I realized Linus' heart was going out on him. I took him to the vet for a cough and wheezing. They looked at his upper respiratory tract and said it looked okay but maybe there was irritation or infection and gave me an antibiotic. Well, it never really got better completely.

Also, if there is a heart issue, they will need to do an x-ray or ultrasound to get a clear picture of what is going on. I was told Linus' heart and lungs sounded good as well.

All of this said, that doesn't mean what's going on with Petunia is heart failure - it could be seasonal allergies and irritation but if your gut is telling you it could be something more, express these concerns to your vet!

Last edited:
OP
Valentine215

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia is 8.5

Usually happens when she is at rest...

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Petunia is 8.5

Usually happens when she is at rest...

Given her age and symptom(s), I would express your concerns to your vet.

While there is no turning back the clock, if there is a heart issue, there are medications that can be used to manage the symptoms.

This is the thread I wrote shortly before realizing what was happening to Linus. That said, I also noticed a decrease in activity, so again - it could be something totally different - but it might be best to let your vet know you feel something could be going on.

Give Petunia a big hug too! She's a beauty!

OP
Valentine215

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks Jill...One day she did not run to the food bowl within a few minutes of me putting it down...later it was all gone so I did not think anything of it. It is really hot here-the dog days of summer-has been in the 100's so if she is lethargic I have not noticed it...she is usually frisky and I have not noticed a change in that. Still, it could be allergies...I have been giving her Allegra but I don't think it is working all that well...I notice she has a runny nose and sneezes sometimes.

I feel like I am in denial or something! Right now I am in between staying at my parents and moving into my fiance's home so she is with my mom all day and my mom hasn't noticed any coughing or lethargy but I told her to pay attention. Petunia is generally a lazy-bug during the day..LOL!

I had a Cocker spaniel who had CHF and ever since then, I get freaked out a little bit when she starts having any symptoms that remind me of my late Cocker.

The thought of losing her just tears me up. I cannot, nor do I want to, imagine it. I know she is getting up there and so I, like you, look for 'signs'. I don't want to overreact but I also don't want to leave it too late.

:(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Keep us posted.... Jill gave you some great insight, please let us know how she is doing.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
You might try Claritan (0.5 mg per 2.2 pounds of total body weight) every 24 hrs. or Zyrtec (1 mg per 2.2 pounds of total body weight) every 24 hrs. and see if that helps more than the Allegra.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You already got excellent advice from others who have experience with this, so I'll just add I hope it's just allergies and nothing serious. If it persists a visit to the vet would be a good idea just to be sure and for peace of mind. Sending love, hugs and prayers your way. Please keep us posted on how Petunia is doing. It might just be seasonal allergies.

OP
Valentine215

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Hmmmm...well, no coughing for a few days now...I did not notice anything different...she was a happy girl, ate all her food...but she seems to have a runny nose. So maybe the Allegra is not working...

I may switch back to claritin which DID seem to work.

I still have an appointment scheduled for Friday and now I am wondering if I should just cancel and just watch her more closely....decisions, decisions...

OP
Valentine215

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
UPDATE! Re: Dry cough

So the Diva had her appointment with the vet. She really listened to her heart and said No murmur and the heart sounded strong and fine. YAY!!!

She did say she thought Petunia suffered from Brachiocephalic Syndrome and/or a collapsing trachea.
This is pretty common in bulldogs. I am so glad that she doesn't have CHF but will need to watch her on the other stuff.

So that is her update...special thanks to Jill for encouraging me to have her looked at!

Alix

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Re: UPDATE! Re: Dry cough

So the Diva had her appointment with the vet. She really listened to her heart and said No murmur and the heart sounded strong and fine. YAY!!!

She did say she thought Petunia suffered from Brachiocephalic Syndrome and/or a collapsing trachea.
This is pretty common in bulldogs. I am so glad that she doesn't have CHF but will need to watch her on the other stuff.

So that is her update...special thanks to Jill for encouraging me to have her looked at!

Alix

Thank you for reporting back to us, Alix, these posts are always helpful to all of us.

Petunia is beautiful & looks great...great job, Mom! GOD bless!!

OP
Valentine215

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Re: UPDATE! Re: Dry cough

Alix

Thank you for reporting back to us, Alix, these posts are always helpful to all of us.

Petunia is beautiful & looks great...great job, Mom! GOD bless!!

Thanks Carol! I just love my girl! Want to do the best I can...I've learned so much from you and all the other posters here too.

Knowledge is power!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.