regassam

Jul 28, 2013
shenzhen, china
Country
china
Bulldog(s) Names
ah-bo, lily and gigi
Hi,

Ah-Bo is 7 months old, a few months ago I found a few very small patch hair loss. This morning, I noticed the whole of his lower back looked different, like lots of hair loss. He is also shedding loads, always have been ever since I got him at 3 months. I don't think its allergy because it doesnt itch, not flaky or red, just hair loss. Can this be Mange?.

How can I treat it?. Im in China so Im worried about the methods vets here use, it can sometimes be to strong or toxic!.

IMG_20130805_074244.jpgIMG_20130805_074250.jpgIMG_20130805_074256.jpgIMG_20130805_074308.jpg

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
That is a lot of hair loss. I have tagged a few people to see if they can help you with some suggestions. I know China is going thru a heat wave but not sure if that would cause him to loose so much hair overnight.

- - - Updated - - -

That is a lot of hair loss. I have tagged a few people to see if they can help you with some suggestions. I know China is going thru a heat wave but not sure if that would cause him to loose so much hair overnight.

OP
regassam

regassam

Jul 28, 2013
shenzhen, china
Country
china
Bulldog(s) Names
ah-bo, lily and gigi
Thanks Ash. By the way, he is on a Raw diet, pork/ beef liver and some boiled white rice twice a day. He weighs 24kg, gets two omega3 fish oil tablets a day. Active for 10 minutes at a time then sleeps all day. I bath him with baby shampoo two times a week, sometimes once a week if he gets dirty. he also gets bananas and carrots for treats.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
It could be seasonal alopecia. Some bulldogs will get it every year.
I have also heard of bully's getting bald spots because of thyroid deficiencies. so really checking with a vet would be the best thing to do.
They can run tests to be sure its not mange. I could be wrong but just the fact that he's not itchy leads me to believe its probably not mange either, but I have no actual experience with it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I've had this happen a few times. Usually during the summer hot months. After many trips to the vet with many tests done, I got no answers.

The last time it happened after Yuna had her surgery for the obstruction. Her coat really looked a mess...So I took her outside with the kong zoom groom and brushed her. Not a normal day to day brush real quick... But a nice long brushing. The amount of undercoat that came out I swear I could have made a whole bully with! The more I did it the more I felt like she was going bald!!! I noticed her skin under was grayish looking too.

Within a couple of days her coat looked nice and beautiful again.

So my theory is this:

When the undercoat is being blown off sometimes it comes out unevenly giving the look like someone sprinkled water on the back.

The hardcore brushing I did removed the access hair and also have her skin the air it needed to regenerate her coat to a beautiful sheen again.

I will admit I was not big on brushing. I did it, a couple quick brushing a a month.... But I never realized the importance brushing was for their skin until this happened.

It was a post made by [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] about a slicker brush that gave me the idea. I have since ordered a slicker brush from her and it is now a part of my weekly grooming for all my bullies. Not only do I notice a decrease in shedding, but their coats just look more beautiful than ever.

I've also had another case where it was a bit crusty underneath.... in that case I believe it was a skin infection. Medicated shampoo healed it up quick. Didn't really look like that though, because the hair was not missing in drops like it is in your photo.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Last edited:

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
I would definitely visit the vet. Mayhem had mange and he showed no signs of itching, only hair loss. Not sure what your baby's issue might be, but just wanted you to be aware that itching doesn't always go arm and arm with mange.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Wow. I was unaware that our babies could develop seasonal Alopecia. I am very familiar with it in humans as my daughter has Alopecia Areata.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would brush more as was suggested and also cut back on the baths... too much washing strips the fur of natrual oils that the skin and coat need.

OP
regassam

regassam

Jul 28, 2013
shenzhen, china
Country
china
Bulldog(s) Names
ah-bo, lily and gigi
ok thanks guys, will try the brushing and less washing.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Our vet recommend washing every other week but rinsing every week if that makes sense Loki decomposed seasonal alopecia when our winter lasted forced this year he got some sun and amazingly it disappeared pretty fast he was about 8 months when he first got it

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Not to Hijack but I noticed this happening to Dooley about a week ago. Im in Louisiana and the past two weeks have been bad hot!!!I just figured it was him blowing his coat due to the extreme heat. I brush him the best I can (he hates brushing and wont sit still) every couple days to help relieve some of the shedding.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I will amend my previous comment. I said I had no experience with mange. Well now that's not true anymore. We just found out Monday that Amelia has it. It started with a small spot of hair thinning on her back about last Friday. By Monday when she went in to be spayed it was big enough to ask the vet to check it out. A scrape confirmed Demodex. He could only find it in that one spot so far, so we are lucky it isn't widespread. Hopefully the round of injected ivermectin she is now on along with an oral dose she'll start next week will clear it up.

OP
regassam

regassam

Jul 28, 2013
shenzhen, china
Country
china
Bulldog(s) Names
ah-bo, lily and gigi
Update, the patch is getting larger on the top of his back but Im wondering if he is just growing his adult hair/coat. He is not going bold, just darker and thicker hair in place of his lighter softer puppy hair. Am I correct?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online